PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

the Ref's favor the Steelers? (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OK the Patriots lost; I accept that, but did anyone notice the terrible non-calls

You can call it the other way around as well. It sucks but the refs are terrible in every game, against all teams.

Re: OK the Patriots lost; I accept that, but did anyone notice the terrible non-calls

but I thought they were off not only after the Gronk reception but also on Faulk's.

With Faulk's I think the problem was that, ironically, he didn't go down. He caught the ball and got drilled at the half-yard line (or closer!). The blow knocked him back but he didn't go down. He recovered his balance, took a step, and then got tackled. I wonder if the recovering of his balance "reset" the forward progress line. I bet he'd have had a better spot if he went down from the hit.

(Kinda like when a receiver catches the ball past the sticks, gets contacted, but spins out of it, takes a couple of steps, and gets tackled before the sticks and ends up losing the first down.)

With Faulk's I think the problem was that, ironically, he didn't go down. He caught the ball and got drilled at the half-yard line (or closer!). The blow knocked him back but he didn't go down. He recovered his balance, took a step, and then got tackled. I wonder if the recovering of his balance "reset" the forward progress line. I bet he'd have had a better spot if he went down from the hit.

(Kinda like when a receiver catches the ball past the sticks, gets contacted, but spins out of it, takes a couple of steps, and gets tackled before the sticks and ends up losing the first down.)

I don't think that factored in at all.

It would have been a horrid decision if the refs were thinking that.

But, even if they made such a decision, Faulk was blown back to the 4 and tackled at the 3.

Whereas the ball was spotted at the 1 1/2 after Faulk had gotten the ball about 3 or 4 inches from the goalline.

There were a bunch of helmet to helmet hits by the steelers yesterday. Typical dirty play stuff from them.

For our issues, the Defensive and Offensive lines must play better or we will not make the AFC playoffs.

I think we had a decent amount of calls FOR US yesterday...it all evens out in the end regarding yesterday's game....when we were able to get a 15 yard penalty on the Steelers, we didn't take advantage of it.

What wasn't called was a blatant face mask on Warren from one of the Steelers linemen in the 2nd half.

It's a loser's mentality that complains about bad officiating as if only one team benefitted and the other suffered. Yesterday's officiating was poor but there's no evidence that it was excessive in one direction. For example, nobody in here complaining about poor spotting of the ball has mentioned the free 5 yards they gave the Patriots following Pittsburgh's first TD.

The non-TD call was a bad call but we see bad calls on the goal line all the time. The Patriots offense and coaches were like deer caught in the headlights for the next 40 seconds. The referees should do their best; that is they should not just award the TD with a mentality that that way they can review it. The call on the field is too important to start deliberately erring to one side. What they need to do is change the rules so goal line plays are subject to automatic review.

To respond to what another poster in here said: Yes, recovering your balance "resets" the forward progress line. The Patriots actually got a generous spot on that play.

The Polamalu batting was the only bad call that irritated me, and it really only Irritated me because the announcers were kissing Polamalu's ass about how wonderful he was for doing something which they didn't seem to realize is illegal. But the game was already over by then so it just didn't matter.

Last edited:

The "double" helmet to helmet play on Gronk was ridiculous.

We got out coached and out played. That's all that matters to me.

How was the Welker one not 15 yards again? It must not have been a penalty because the ref was looking right at it and didn't throw a flag.

Re: ok the patriots lost. i accept that, but....

No, I didn't notice the terrible non-calls. I saw one that kinda screwed us a little bit (non-TD on Gronkowski catch) but that's just part of the game, and it was a really close play. The refs deserve no blame whatsoever for the loss yesterday.

Last edited:

I agree, though, with the point re spots. The ones at the end of the game were judgment, but I thought they were off not only after the Gronk reception but also on Faulk's. again, those are judgment calls, though.

I thought that they were overly generous on the Faulk spot. At the very least he definitely didn't cross the plane.

losers blame the refs.

Too bad he wasn't blaming the refs for the loss.

i didn't know you couldn't complain about the officials without being labeled a whiner. those officials sucked. point blank. i saw holding, helmet to helmet, facemasks, a touchdown, all not called. does that mean that heath miller wasn't uncovered the whole first half, or wide receivers weren't open all day. NO! but that doesn't mean i can't ***** and if that game had been called correctly, especially at the end, we may have won. i'm actually used to getting hosed in pittsburgh. you should have seen the 70's. i say move on and don't freak out after one loss , on the road, after the bye. the pats were just flat. rome isn't burning.

Because the last team that had possession was NE.

The only possible outcomes of that play once the ball was in the endzone were:
  • safety - if NE recovers it or it goes through the endzone
  • touchdown if PIT recovers it in the endzone
  • illegal batting penalty on PIT - play is nullified

The one thing it couldn't possibly be was a touchback.

Hairboy illegally batted the ball. Officials should have flagged it. But since they didn't and since the illegal bat penalty can't be assessed on replay, the safety had to stand even though it was bogus.

Why can't the illegal hitting of the ball be accessed on replay? They can do it with other plays such as Too Many Men on the field..

Too bad he wasn't blaming the refs for the loss.

Predictably, some posters will make a thread into something it is not. Especially one like this.

Why can't the illegal hitting of the ball be accessed on replay? They can do it with other plays such as Too Many Men on the field..

Because that's what the replay rule says :)

But more seriously, I believe it's because there's judgement involved. The only penalties that can be assessed or picked up on replay are completely objective ones like "were there more than 11 on the field" or "was the QB over the LOS when he threw the ball".

Do the Steelers get away with more stuff just because they're the Steelers?

Taylor Price got manhandled on that long pass. There was a lot of contact and he was pushed down before the ball got to him.

Welker almost getting his neck snapped by Polamalu.

Polamalu batting the ball in the endzone LOL... this was so obvious watching it Live. I'm surprised it took the commentators a few seconds to notice it in the replay, and even more surprised that none of the Refs noticed it.

There were a bunch of others, but those stick out the most. It seems that Pitts is allowed to play a different style of defense based on their pass reputation. The refs turn a blind eye to the dirty stuff they do.

Last edited:

Because that's what the replay rule says :)

But more seriously, I believe it's because there's judgement involved. The only penalties that can be assessed or picked up on replay are completely objective ones like "were there more than 11 on the field" or "was the QB over the LOS when he threw the ball".

Umm.. how is it not completely objective as to whether or not Polamalu hit the ball into the end zone for the safety?

Did anyone notice the terrible nocalls from the refs? Blantant Holding on almost every steelers snap on our d-lineman. The horsecolar tackle on grok. Polamolu tackling welker by the neck. Polomolu swatting the ball at the end right in front of the ref. The pats played a poor game and deserved to lose. But they seemed to get a lot of help. (Sorry in advance for my poor spelling.)

MORE GAMES IN FIRST PLACE, MORE GAMES IN FIRST PLACE, MORE GAMES IN FIRST PLACE.

More sacks in the second half of 2010, more sacks in the second half of 2010, more sacks in the second half of 2010.

Yesterday's secondary performance kind of reminds me of what the middle of our defense looked like two and three years ago, nobody willing to hit anybody, no reciever worried about crossing the middle of our zone. Yeah, Merriweather was a turd, but at least he hit people, made them think twice about going into our VERY DEEP and VERY INEFFECTIVE zone in the middle of the field. Formulaic, tightend, down the seam running without worry. It cannot be the talent, Belichick cannot be that wrong when laying out his draft board. It has to be his coaching staff, one of the smallest in the league. What do you think would happen if the Pats had a defensive backs coach who actually, you know, played DB in the pros?

Ah well, let's just say WTF and move on! Is any body else worried about NYG next week and NYJ the week after? Both of those teams have the ability to make this secondary look bad.

Umm.. how is it not completely objective as to whether or not Polamalu hit the ball into the end zone for the safety?

Fair enough.

However, the replay rule lists the things that are reviewable and anything not mentioned is not reviewable. Too many men, illegal forward pass, illegal forward handoff, and number of men on the field are explicitly listed as reviewable. Illegal batting is not listed and so is not reviewable.

From the 2011 rule book:

Reviewable Plays. The Replay System will cover the following play situations only:
(a) Plays governed by Sideline, Goal Line, End Zone, and End Line:
1. Scoring plays, including a runner breaking the plane of the goal line.
2. Pass complete/incomplete/intercepted at sideline, goal line, end zone, and end line.
3. Runner/receiver in or out of bounds.
4. Recovery of loose ball in or out of bounds.
(b) Passing plays:
1. Pass ruled complete/incomplete/intercepted in the field of play.
2. Touching of a forward pass by an ineligible receiver.
3. Touching of a forward pass by a defensive player.
4. Quarterback (Passer) forward pass or fumble.
5. Illegal forward pass beyond line of scrimmage.
6. Illegal forward pass after change of possession.
7. Forward or backward pass thrown from behind line of scrimmage.​
(c) Other reviewable plays:
1. Runner ruled not down by defensive contact.
2. Runner ruled down by defensive contact when the recovery of a fumble by an opponent or a teammate occurs in the action that happens following the fumble.
3. Ruling of incomplete pass when the recovery of a passer’s fumble by an opponent or a teammate occurs in the action following the fumble.
4. Ruling of a loose ball out of bounds when it is recovered in the field of play by an opponent or a teammate in the action after the ball hits the ground.​
Note 1: If the ruling of down by contact or incomplete pass is changed, the ball belongs to the recovering player at the spot of the recovery of the fumble, and any advance is nullified.
Note 2: If the Referee does not have indisputable visual evidence as to which player recovered the loose ball, the ruling on the field will stand.
Note 3: This does not apply to complete/incomplete passes, or the ruling of forward progress.

5. Forward progress with respect to a first down.
6. Touching of a kick.
7. A field-goal or Try attempt that crosses below or above the crossbar, inside or outside the uprights
when it is lower than the top of the uprights, or touches anything.
8. Number of players on the field at the snap.
9. Illegal forward handoff.​
Note: Non-reviewable plays include but are not limited to:
1. Status of the clock
2. Proper down
3. Penalty administration
4. Runner ruled down by defensive contact (not involving fumbles)
5. Forward progress not relating to first down or goal line
6. Recovery of a loose ball that does not involve a boundary line or the end zone.
7. Field-goal or Try attempts that cross above either upright without touching anything.
8. Inadvertent Whistle​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back