PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

the Ref's favor the Steelers? (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OK the Patriots lost; I accept that, but did anyone notice the terrible non-calls

How was the Welker one not 15 yards again? It must not have been a penalty because the ref was looking right at it and didn't throw a flag.

Because of the guy that threw the hit getting the star treatment. Same reason Revis can hold every play.

Re: Do the Steelers get away with more stuff just because they're the Steelers?

The ball to price was behind and there was contact with the DB who had positioning. When the ball is in the air nobody has more of an advantage than the other. Similarly Ben was complaining about a 3rd and goal play were Ihedigbo had positioning on the the receiver and there was contact. The refs were pretty consistent with contact being called (or going uncalled)....

Yes, the ball was behind -- we have both said that.

It wasn't a question of having more of an advantage, though, because the Steelers dback was going the wrong direction. On the play w/Ihedigbo, Ihdeigbo wasn't going in the wrong direction.

...Tackling high isn't a penalty. Polamalu didn't lead with his helmet, launch himself, make contact with the helmet and or grab the facemask. Welker wasn't a defenseless receiver either, he was a runner at that point. There is no rule for awkward tackling and thats all that was.

None of that really addresses what I said...

Re: OK the Patriots lost; I accept that, but did anyone notice the terrible non-calls

Because of the guy that threw the hit getting the star treatment. Same reason Revis can hold every play.

wonder why there is never a thread like this when the pats win. The ol' head in the sand.

wonder why there is never a thread like this when the pats win. The ol' head in the sand.

Bad or questionable calls aren't nearly as annoying when you win.

If you want to talk about the refs then how about that BLATANT pass interference on Antonio Brown in the endzone? Brown was ran into, stopping him in mid-route to go after the football while the ball was in the air. How about when Ryan Clark stiffed Faulk at the one yard line, and Faulk bounces back to the 5 yard line after forward progress but yet, the ball was placed on the 1 yard line. Instead of talking about the refs like losers usually do, focus on that defense giving up 400 + yards a game and worry about that offense not having a deep threat when they actually trail in a game. Refs can't call everything because I've seen holds all over the place as well on Woodley and backup Carter on pass rush's as well.

If you want to talk about the refs then how about that BLATANT pass interference on Antonio Brown in the endzone? Brown was ran into, stopping him in mid-route to go after the football while the ball was in the air. How about when Ryan Clark stiffed Faulk at the one yard line, and Faulk bounces back to the 5 yard line after forward progress but yet, the ball was placed on the 1 yard line. Instead of talking about the refs like losers usually do, focus on that defense giving up 400 + yards a game and worry about that offense not having a deep threat when they actually trail in a game. Refs can't call everything because I've seen holds all over the place as well on Woodley and backup Carter on pass rush's as well.

If you actually read the thread you'll see that no one is really blaming the refs for the loss. We're well aware that our defense got torched and we had no business even being within a score, just enjoy your win.

Brown ran straight into the Safety who was entitled to his position on the field. If anything, it should have been PI on Brown. Learn the rules.

Stop complaining about the calling of the referees. It didn't affect the outcome of the game, the Patriots being beaten by the Steelers executing their game plan beat the Patriots. Well played to the Steelers.

Has anybody in this thread blamed the refs?

Next time I see someone in one of these threads call out a questionable call that went in the Patriots favor, I'll cede that point. Until then, this is just a bunch of whining.

Since you already admitted that you wouldn't come back here if the Pats won, how's about you GTFO and go gloat somewhere else. There are some Steelers fans that bring something worthwhile to the conversation, but you're not even close to being one of them. Go make yourself useful and pray that your line doesn't get Roethlisberger killed. If the Pats could sack him that many times, anyone can.

Last edited:
Next time I see someone in one of these threads call out a questionable call that went in the Patriots favor, I'll cede that point. Until then, this is just a bunch of whining.

If people were saying the calls caused the Pats' loss, you'd have a valid point.

Obviously Pats fans are going to remember calls that go against the Pats, though. That doesn't mean that the calls being brought up weren't bad.

If you don't like the thread, why don't you ignore it, instead of pretending people are saying things they aren't saying?

If people were saying the calls caused the Pats' loss, you'd have a valid point.

Obviously Pats fans are going to remember calls that go against the Pats, though. That doesn't mean that the calls being brought up weren't bad.

If you don't like the thread, why don't you ignore it, instead of pretending people are saying things they aren't saying?

Because it reinforces this fanbase's reputation for being a bunch of spoiled, frontrunning pink-hats? As a displaced Pats fan, dealing with that has been decidedly unpleasant, and threads like this don't help at all.

I can't stop you guys from acting this way, but I can voice my opinion on the matter, just as you can. To quote your own advice: if you don't like it, feel fre to ignore it.

Last edited:
The better team won.

End of story.

Because it reinforces this fanbase's reputation for being a bunch of spoiled, frontrunning pink-hats? As a displaced Pats fan, dealing with that has been decidedly unpleasant, and threads like this don't help at all.

I can't stop you guys from acting this way, but I can voice my opinion on the matter, just as you can. To quote your own advice: if you don't like it, feel fre to ignore it.

Really, you deal with a lot of that here in LA? Where are you hanging out, or with whom? Because I've never caught any sh*t about being a Pats fan in this town.

My advice for you was to ignore the thread. That really doesn't apply to me.

You're just coming in here whining about the thread, hypocritically criticizing others for supposedly whining about things nobody has said. The facts that you're simply attacking others and making things up says it all.

edit: btw, how is this thread reinforcing reputations? are you really concerned about the opinion of complete strangers who are fans of other teams who might visit this forum and somehow arrive at a decision about Pats fans, and then apparently come across you in a bar or someplace and decide that you must be a jackass Boston fan? yikes...

Last edited:
Since you already admitted that you wouldn't come back here if the Pats won, how's about you GTFO and go gloat somewhere else. There are some Steelers fans that bring something worthwhile to the conversation, but you're not even close to being one of them. Go make yourself worthwhile and pray that your line doesn't get Roethlisberger killed. If the Pats could sack him that many times, anyone can.

When did I ever say that? I've been respectful all week and wished nothing but good luck to you guys beforehand! Go check out for yourself and understand I was as civil as it came and can talk football all day, not blame everything on the refs. And those "sacks" you speak of were coverage sacks, not because New England put pressure because we all know New England has 0 pass rush to even be remotely feared. Fortunate for Pittsburgh, even if Ben is harassed (he's been harassed his whole career) he has the ability to break away and extend the play. Not worried. No prayer needed.

the only time i ever would truely blame a ref is the hochuli cutler play

something where there was a unquestionable screwup at the very end of a game, where the ref even admits he screwed up

aside from that, refs are just garbage across the board in the nfl, they've been for years, winners overcome it, losers shoot themselves in the foot

sunday the steelers overcame it (steelers actually got flagged more than NE)

What annoyed me a lot was when the Steelers got flagged for offensive holding but that was later on in the play offset by pass interference. Im guessing the ref called it right but it doesnt seem right that a hold that allowed the pass to place doesnt take precedence.

When did I ever say that? I've been respectful all week and wished nothing but good luck to you guys beforehand! Go check out for yourself and understand I was as civil as it came and can talk football all day, not blame everything on the refs. And those "sacks" you speak of were coverage sacks, not because New England put pressure because we all know New England has 0 pass rush to even be remotely feared. Fortunate for Pittsburgh, even if Ben is harassed (he's been harassed his whole career) he has the ability to break away and extend the play. Not worried. No prayer needed.

That's the point- if the Pats' secondary was able to force coverage sacks in that quantity, than anyone can. I'm kind of a homer, and I even I'll admit that we probably have the worst secondary in the NFL.

Last edited:
What annoyed me a lot was when the Steelers got flagged for offensive holding but that was later on in the play offset by pass interference. Im guessing the ref called it right but it doesnt seem right that a hold that allowed the pass to place doesnt take precedence.

yeah, that bugged me too. Just seems like a dumb rule; with the exception of a personal foul, a holding should probably nullify any subsequent penalty on the defense. As it stands, once that holding flag was thrown, we would actually have been better off just letting him catch it and run it in for a TD.

That ref crew didn't favor the Steelers...or the Pats...THAT is the worst ref crew in the league and is the ref crew that let Revis commit over seventy pass interference penalties in one game without even ONE call...they don't KNOW the rules, they don't ENFORCE the rules they do know and they create a disjointed,"what the hell are they doing now?" atmosphere to the game .

Re: Do the Steelers get away with more stuff just because they're the Steelers?

ball to Price -- absolutely was behind. but there was still contact by the DB, and he wasn't going for the ball. There was a similar play by a pats DB earlier this year that was called interference, and underthrown balls are often the cause of interference penalties against defenders.

Tacking high -- when you a guy's head gets yanked around, especially in the NFL today, there are often penalty calls. I don't think it was a facemask, and 5 years ago I would have said it's not a penalty, just an inadvertent part of a clean tackle. With all the calls for hits on the head now, though, I don't think it's at all clear whether it's a penalty.

The ball to price was behind and there was contact with the DB who had positioning. When the ball is in the air nobody has more of an advantage than the other. Similarly Ben was complaining about a 3rd and goal play were Ihedigbo had positioning on the the receiver and there was contact. The refs were pretty consistent with contact being called (or going uncalled).

Tackling high isn't a penalty. Polamalu didn't lead with his helmet, launch himself, make contact with the helmet and or grab the facemask. Welker wasn't a defenseless receiver either, he was a runner at that point. There is no rule for awkward tackling and thats all that was.

Yes, the ball was behind -- we have both said that.

It wasn't a question of having more of an advantage, though, because the Steelers dback was going the wrong direction. On the play w/Ihedigbo, Ihdeigbo wasn't going in the wrong direction.

None of that really addresses what I said...

The Steelers DB was going in the right direction, he was behind Price. Price was the one who needed to adjust to the pass not the steelers DB. Ihedigbo pretty much cut the Steelers receiver off. He stopped moving and had better positioning than the Steelers DB.

I don't understand if you are trying to say that its clear that the welker play was a penalty or you think its a subjective call. Most of the time you see a flag on a play where a neck is twisted is because the facemask is used to do that. Polamalu wrapped his arms around Welkers helmet to bring him down. Like I said, at that point Welker is a ball carier and there is no "defenseless receiver" BS. He's essentially a running back on a run play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back