PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The real turning point in the game was ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
... Pats up 10, Manning throws the pick, about 5 min or so to go, and the Pats cannot punch it in for a TD to make it a three score 17 point game and essentially cement the victory.

Having to go for the FG there was really a microcosm of the Pats first half problems. As great as the O has looked at times, in close games, you need a TD not a FG in that spot.

IMO, that was the key to the game, as a TD there (off a big play from the D in the 4th, something we are all begging for) and the game is over and nothing else -- Collie PI call, going for it on 4th, the Faulk spot, none of it -- matters.

To me the turning point was the PI call on Butler that basically put the Colts in the red zone.

... Pats up 10, Manning throws the pick, about 5 min or so to go, and the Pats cannot punch it in for a TD to make it a three score 17 point game and essentially cement the victory.

Having to go for the FG there was really a microcosm of the Pats first half problems. As great as the O has looked at times, in close games, you need a TD not a FG in that spot.

IMO, that was the key to the game, as a TD there (off a big play from the D in the 4th, something we are all begging for) and the game is over and nothing else -- Collie PI call, going for it on 4th, the Faulk spot, none of it -- matters.

Kind of like the Giants-San Diego game. You have a chance to put the other team away and instead give them the ball back with the ability to win the game, there's just no excuse.

To me the turning point was the PI call on Butler that basically put the Colts in the red zone.

But that wasn't the turning point -- it was already heading down hill from that point. My contention is that if the Pats score a TD and not a FG there, that Collie PI call doesn't matter because the game is already over.

They still ran decent clock on that series. To me the turning point was the bogus PI. With the way things were going, that drive was going to go past the 2 minute warning maybe even closer to 1 minute left. Instead they are in the red zone with the clock stopped.

Agreed.

And I know blaming play-calling is really tired, but I thought the approach felt very timid and it was almost as if they were playing for the FG.

Kind of like the Giants-San Diego game. You have a chance to put the other team away and instead give them the ball back with the ability to win the game, there's just no excuse.

Good comparison. It was the exact same scenario as SD/NYG. The irony is, BB has a chance to strap on a pair in that drive to win the game and goes conservative, yet later on makes the ballsiest call of the last ten years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back