PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The problem with the Patriots is lack of top end talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franchise12

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
My opinion of this years patriot team is that they are a team that lacks the gamebreaking talent(due to injuries, the murderer, and the dog house) but makes up for it by being the best situational football team in the NFL. For the most part, this team plays poorly for 3 1/2 quarters and suddenly plays top notch football for the final minutes of games. the curcumstances that the Patriots face in the final minutes of games calls for a situational brand of football. At this point in the season situational football (or crisis managment as I call it) is the only thing we're close to excelling in. That is where the must improve because that $25M worth of talent on IR aint suiting up 'till next fall. I would like to hear some thoughts on this or other explanations for the teams issues.

Personally, I think the problem with the Pats is that right now, they are below average in the trenches on both sides.

Below average would be kind to the OL, right now, they were a sieve yesterday and the offense looked decent yesterday in spite of them. If it weren't for the quick passing stuff, Brady might be dead today. You'll notice they hardly ran any slower developing deep stuff after the OL proved the week before its in no shape to protect that long right now.

Injuries....

Personally, I think the problem with the Pats is that right now, they are below average in the trenches on both sides.

Below average would be kind to the OL, right now, they were a sieve yesterday and the offense looked decent yesterday in spite of them. If it weren't for the quick passing stuff, Brady might be dead today. You'll notice they hardly ran any slower developing deep stuff after the OL proved the week before its in no shape to protect that long right now.

It's hard to be good when your two starting tackles are hurt.

The biggest problem with the patriots right now is the fans and their expectations. This team has been hammered by injuries all season long ans has somehow found ways to put themselves into position for a bye, yet all week every week all we hear about is how bad their players are and how much they suck. Most fanbases would be wetting themselves at the fact that their team has a great shot at a bye for the play-offs but Patriot fans see anything short of a perfect season as a sign of complete decay, for christ'ssakes there are actually people saying that the team needs a complete rebuild....seriously? Get the **** out of here.

Now i am not saying that they don't have real weaknesses and real needs this coming offseason, but for the most part this is a deep and well constructed team that has overachieved and overcome most of the personel losses they have suffered, and even though yesterday's loss sucked being 10-4 at this point of the season still puts them at the top of the league, and that's with 14 rookies playing and many of their best players sitting it out. Do they look like a championship team, no, but other than Seattle who does? They need to win one more game to seal the division up, then get as healthy as possible and go for a run in the play-offs. It's been done many times by team's no one thought would win a Super Bowl, and the patriots have the best bad weather QB in football history with the actual Game in a bad weather city for once. The road won't be easy, especially if they have to beat Denver in Denver and Seattle in the SB, but it can still be done and I'm looking forward to watching them try and do it.

Someone asked the question recently of which Patriot's non-championship season was our favorite, and my response, much as i hate to say it was it will probably be this one. The Patriots can win it all, but i wouldn't bet on it, however the season itself has been a great deal of fun to follow and this team has been squeezing pretty much everything they can get out of themselves, so rather than knock them I am just going to take it for what it is, hope they can somehow manage to pull a Lombardi out of it, and respect the effort they have given us this season. Imo it bodes really well for the next few years and their chances of getting another ring or two before Brady hangs them up. if nothing else it should give them both a hunger for next season and a great deal of confidence in how good they can be if they work their asses off all offseason and come into next season ready to go.

So here is my advice, like it or not, stop your *****ing and crying and enjoy the season, win it all or not it will all be gone in a very short while, and the bastards moved the Draft to May so even that is a long way off.

1) They need better players in the front 7.

2) They need a stud across from Chandler Jones at the other DE spot. Rob N. is a nice player, but they need another double digit sack guy on that side of the line.

3) I am not an Arrington fan of him at all and he gets picked on every week. He would have gotten torched on the long ball to Wallace, but QB under threw it. Got benched in Jets game, gave up TD to Ted Ginn of all people. Gave up game winning TD to 49ers last year.

4) LB's who can cover, yeah they are big, but they can't cover.

5) On O I think they will be really good next year at WR. Growing pains this year, but year 2 will be a big leap forward. Dobson and Boyce can both get down field. Danny will be better and a healthy Vereen and Gronk we will b fine.

The draft looks pretty easy this year, trenches!

Not because I am a homer, I think this team will be a much better team with the skilled players making a big time leap and I see them in the SB.

The problem with the Patriots is they are not the Jets because the Jets are tough guys and I want tough, bigmouth guys..YEAH!!! OG OG OG J-T-S-E!!! You just wait until the Patriots don't win double digits in a seaso0n...you just wait...you'll see!!!! you just wait...and wait...wait...and wait....and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait....and wait....and wait...and wait...and wait...and wait.....

It's hard to be good when your two starting tackles are hurt.

Solder was playing poorly before the concussion. The OL has struggled all year. Yes, naturally, losing Vollmer is going to hurt the cause tremendously, but the interior line is simply insufficient.

This is easiest thing to answer. Too many injuries period.

My opinion of this years patriot team is that they are a team that lacks the gamebreaking talent(due to injuries, the murderer, and the dog house) but makes up for it by being the best situational football team in the NFL. For the most part, this team plays poorly for 3 1/2 quarters and suddenly plays top notch football for the final minutes of games. the curcumstances that the Patriots face in the final minutes of games calls for a situational brand of football. At this point in the season situational football (or crisis managment as I call it) is the only thing we're close to excelling in. That is where the must improve because that $25M worth of talent on IR aint suiting up 'till next fall. I would like to hear some thoughts on this or other explanations for the teams issues.

The only problem I see with the Patriots is the fan base that suggests it has a problem when it is currently 10-4 and holding the #2 seed in the AFC despite being without out its top players other than Brady.

• Gronkowski
• Mayo
• Wilfork
• Vollmer
• Solder
• Kelly
• Dobson
• Thompkins
• Boyce

By the end of yesterday’s game those are the players we were without, those aren’t JAGs those are players. Gronkowski, Wilfork and Vollmer are the best players at their positions in the NFL. Mayo, Solder and Kelly all could be argued as top 5 at their positions and Dobson, Thompkins and Boyce are all extremely talented rookies.

Oh we also have a $40 million TE collecting dust down at Bristol County that ranked in the top 5 at his position.

Injuries....

Pretty much. The problem is letting Welker go and replacing him with Amendola who then got injured, unfortunately. Dobson and Thompkins got injured just when both of them were beginning to put it together. Hopefully they don't take a step back because of it. Almost the entire OL is going to be reshuffled now that Solder is injured. Gronk's loss is huge, both for pass protection purposes and in the red zone. Losing Wilfork was bad for a while, but it looks like the team may be able to stop the run. Collins is having to learn on the fly now that Mayo is gone and Hightower, on top of maybe having to shed 15-20 pounds to be a fit in the 4-3, is not in his natural role. Dennard, Talib, and Arrington are all banged up and it's showing in the back end.

The biggest problem with the patriots right now is the fans and their expectations. This team has been hammered by injuries all season long ans has somehow found ways to put themselves into position for a bye, yet all week every week all we hear about is how bad their players are and how much they suck. Most fanbases would be wetting themselves at the fact that their team has a great shot at a bye for the play-offs but Patriot fans see anything short of a perfect season as a sign of complete decay, for christ'ssakes there are actually people saying that the team needs a complete rebuild....seriously? Get the **** out of here.

Now i am not saying that they don't have real weaknesses and real needs this coming offseason, but for the most part this is a deep and well constructed team that has overachieved and overcome most of the personel losses they have suffered, and even though yesterday's loss sucked being 10-4 at this point of the season still puts them at the top of the league, and that's with 14 rookies playing and many of their best players sitting it out. Do they look like a championship team, no, but other than Seattle who does? They need to win one more game to seal the division up, then get as healthy as possible and go for a run in the play-offs. It's been done many times by team's no one thought would win a Super Bowl, and the patriots have the best bad weather QB in football history with the actual Game in a bad weather city for once. The road won't be easy, especially if they have to beat Denver in Denver and Seattle in the SB, but it can still be done and I'm looking forward to watching them try and do it.

Someone asked the question recently of which Patriot's non-championship season was our favorite, and my response, much as i hate to say it was it will probably be this one. The Patriots can win it all, but i wouldn't bet on it, however the season itself has been a great deal of fun to follow and this team has been squeezing pretty much everything they can get out of themselves, so rather than knock them I am just going to take it for what it is, hope they can somehow manage to pull a Lombardi out of it, and respect the effort they have given us this season. Imo it bodes really well for the next few years and their chances of getting another ring or two before Brady hangs them up. if nothing else it should give them both a hunger for next season and a great deal of confidence in how good they can be if they work their asses off all offseason and come into next season ready to go.

So here is my advice, like it or not, stop your *****ing and crying and enjoy the season, win it all or not it will all be gone in a very short while, and the bastards moved the Draft to May so even that is a long way off.

I couldn't have said it better myself!

The only problem I see with the Patriots is the fan base that suggests it has a problem when it is currently 10-4 and holding the #2 seed in the AFC despite being without out its top players other than Brady.

• Gronkowski
• Mayo
• Wilfork
• Vollmer
• Solder
• Kelly
• Dobson
• Thompkins
• Boyce

By the end of yesterday’s game those are the players we were without, those aren’t JAGs those are players. Gronkowski, Wilfork and Vollmer are the best players at their positions in the NFL. Mayo, Solder and Kelly all could be argued as top 5 at their positions and Dobson, Thompkins and Boyce are all extremely talented rookies.

Oh we also have a $40 million TE collecting dust down at Bristol County that ranked in the top 5 at his position.

Amazing to see them all listed like that. Add to that that Dennard and Arrington (and to some extent Talib, although he looked better yesterday) are clearly playing through significant injuries.

Amazing to see them all listed like that. Add to that that Dennard and Arrington (and to some extent Talib, although he looked better yesterday) are clearly playing through significant injuries.

Also:

Spikes
Cannon
Gregory

It almost would be easier to list the healthy players.

they lost their left tackle in the middle of the game yesterday and still had a chance to win the game. The prpblem with the patriots is that they dont have any bodies left. We should stop with this talent evaluation after every game...other teams also have good players and ours are on IR. As curran wrote yesterday

Curran: Patriots flat out got beat by Dolphins | Comcast SportsNet - CSNNE.com

This time? They got beat. They didn’t beat themselves. They had the good start they hadn’t been able to get, jumping ahead 10-0. The Dolphins snapped a field goal attempt off the holder’s face. They didn’t have a turnover until the game’s final play.

Really, the most egregious plays were a missed 48-yarder, a kickoff out of bounds, a play on which a $60 million wide receiver beat a journeyman corner and another where a 5-9 running back beat a 270-pound linebacker.

For sins committed on an NFL Sunday, those can’t rank very highly.

On the road in the heat against a team that KNEW it let the Patriots off the hook in October, the Patriots got outplayed.

They weren’t the better team on paper or on the field and – this week – no amount of Brady magic and want-to could change that. Although it nearly did. Without Rob Gronkowski and with Logan Mankins finishing the day at left tackle and some fella named Josh Kline playing left guard, they nearly did.
I am as disappointed as anyone and even Iam worried if they make the playoffs ,because they can beat anyone right now or lose to anyone . They just dont have healthy players. I wouldve respected this thread more if it was written before gronk got injured.

Pretty much. The problem is letting Welker go and replacing him with Amendola who then got injured, unfortunately.

Amendola had 10 catches for 131 yards, he was not the problem yesterday.

people need to fudging get over the fact that welker walked away. Holy christ, what a bunch of whiney babies.

Welker this year: 73 catches, 778 yards, 10.7 per 10 tds
Minitron this year: 89 catches, 914 yards, 10.3 per catch, 6 tds

You know why Welker has 4 more Td's and Minitron? Because peyton mannings had the same offensive players the whole ******* season. Plain and simple hes had thomas, decker, welker, and His tight ends all season, healthy. The patriots are playing with their THIRD STRING guys right now.

Austin Collie 3rd/4th string
at the start of the season 3rd string
Missing half the offensive line.

"well if we had welker..."

no just stop Welker was not and is not the long term solution, or answer to our problems.

Badluck, injuries, and some inconsistent pass interference calls this season.

I don't think anybody in this thread is b**ching or crying. I agree with the bulk of what you say otherwise.

Injuries....

Bingo, you can't lose 4 Pro Bowl caliber players, 2 on offense (Gronk and Vollmer) and 2 on D (Wilfork & Mayo), then add various other injuries to our receivers and secondary and both lines. Just WAY too many injuries. Even if we only had HALF as many injuries, this would be a team destined for the SB. Just too many to overcome. When you replace Wilfork and Kelly with Vellone and Chris Jones, and then Mayo with Hightower. Add in the fact, Talib and Dennard have been hurt several times. Even though they may be on the field, they are probably at 60-80%. Our 4 receivers on the last play of the Miami game were Edelman, Amendola, Collie and Hooman. I'm sure that wasn't supposed to be our top 4 when they went into the season gameplanning.

The problem with the Patriots is....

It is crazy consider this:

Gronkowski
Wilfork
Kelly
Mayo
Talib
Dennard
Amendola
Vollmer
Vereen
Ridley
Dobson
Thompkins
Gregory
Cannon
Hoomamawanui
Bolden
Cole
Svitek
Washington (since released)
Collie (released/resigned)

Have all missed at least 2 games this season. Plus Solder, Spikes, Arrington and Ninkovich have all missed portions of games due to injuries. Add players lost before the start of the season expected to play important roles:

Hernandez
A. Wilson
Ballard
Fells
Dowling
D. Jones

I'm probably even missing some players, it's remarkable we even have a winning record, complaining about a 10-4 record that's a joke, this team has been in every game and there is not a team that has displayed more championship reserve than the New England Patriots. I am prouder of this team than any other in the Brady/Belichick era I don't care if they win a single playoff game I still will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes