PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Practice Squad And Further Transactions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most db's can be gunners. It's a given when your a Patriot DB that you can tackle. That's the main requirement. Ebner's name came up because I feel we have too many safeties. I think there are numerous candidates to be a punt protector. We didn't have a problem at that spot before Ebner. Nor, will we post-Ebner.

We've played 2 straight games with 6 game-day OL, didn't hurt against Miami. Could have on Sunday if we were playing a better opponent. Sea Bass got dinged and we dumb-downed the offense.

No. Most DBs cannot be gunners. Nor are there numerous candidates to be Personal Protector. It's no wonder you are having such a hard time with the discussion. You really do not understand what those positions take for skills at all..

You don't have to tell me about them having played 2 straight games with 6 OL. I know that. I understand it. And I CLEARLY understand the jobs and skills it takes for the other positions as well. Something you clearly don't.

McDonald was released today and Martin was added, meaning they still have an open roster spot. It will probably be an O-lineman since Cannon, Vollmer and Jackson were DNP. And, since the Pats DID bring in Turbin and Thomas for try-outs, one of them could be added, with another player being released..

We're halfway there. At least we have another lb. Now, let's drop another safety and get an OT.

We're halfway there. At least we have another lb. Now, let's drop another safety and get an OT.
No. Most DBs cannot be gunners. Nor are there numerous candidates to be Personal Protector. It's no wonder you are having such a hard time with the discussion. You really do not understand what those positions take for skills at all..

You don't have to tell me about them having played 2 straight games with 6 OL. I know that. I understand it. And I CLEARLY understand the jobs and skills it takes for the other positions as well. Something you clearly don't.

McDonald was released today and Martin was added, meaning they still have an open roster spot. It will probably be an O-lineman since Cannon, Vollmer and Jackson were DNP. And, since the Pats DID bring in Turbin and Thomas for try-outs, one of them could be added, with another player being released..

Other than being fast and a good tackler,what skills should a gunner posess?

Other than being fast and a good tackler,what skills should a gunner posess?
Beating blocks, taking the right angle, keeping contain, breaking down quickly in high speed. There's more to it than just being fast and being able to tackle.

Beating blocks, taking the right angle, keeping contain, breaking down quickly in high speed. There's more to it than just being fast and being able to tackle.
Those are techniques. Not skills. Can be learned by any dedicated pro.

Holy crap! Robert Turbin ! Sign him. I'd love to see this guy come rolling out of the backfield heading straight for Brandon Merriweather on Sunday.
Turbin.jpg

Last edited:
One name to keep an eye on is Marion Grice who was drafted by the Chargers in the 6th round and has since been kicked around the league (was just released from the Lions PS. He has the potential to be a really good third down back although lacks the top notch athleticism one would normally want at the position.

He scored 18 TDs in 8 games in his final season before breaking a leg and had 91 catches in his last two collegiate seasons.

2014 NFL Draft: ASU's Marion Grice is nice, especially on third down

He did get a pre-draft private workout by us.

How are King and McDonald helping us?
Wtf do they have to do with Ebner serving as personal protector for the punter? You lost me. Haven't studied it, off the top of my head might cut one of them or some other marginal contributor (Dobson?) to add another OL. There's one opening, figure Barker gets that one, might be worth creating another to also elevate Clausell. Not sure I'd cut King for it though, quick glance at where he came from reminds me of another UDFA rookie, last year. Two years at a community college, transferred to Auburn which is bigger than West Alabama, signed and stuck with the Pats. Just think if we were having this conversation early last year when the OL was a mess and Butler was barely hanging on to the back of the roster, what it might've led to? In BB we trust.

Those are techniques. Not skills. Can be learned by any dedicated pro.
They're skills once they're learned. Before they're learned they are shortcomings.

So, it looks like Barker is getting the promotion. I hope he's made similar strides to the other youngsters..

Barker was a turnstile in the final preseason game. He was against a good pass rusher Femontrae Moore and heard later he was injured at the time. I'll trust Bill and hope he will be adequate.

Barker was a turnstile in the final preseason game. He was against a good pass rusher Femontrae Moore and heard later he was injured at the time. I'll trust Bill and hope he will be adequate.

Adequate as what?

Barker is a backup at every position on the OL, but he will be a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back