PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots sign OG Robert Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Injuries are a fact of life in the NFL, particularly on the offensive line. There is no such thing as too much depth for this unit. This could also give the Pats more choices with how to utilize Marcus Cannon, which could also be dependent on what happens with Matt Light. For example if Light retires Cannon becomes the primary backup at tackle; Gallery becomes the primary backup at guard; and Wendell or McDonald become the primary backup at center and secondary backup at guard. This also gives the Pats more options if they choose to utilize one of their offensive lineman as a tight end on certain plays.

Waters has played Center, was better at Guard but maybe they move him. Maybe they have Gallery as the sixth lineman or competition for Waters.
Either way, great depth on the line.

As it stands now:
T Light
T Vollmer
T Solder
T/G Cannon
G Mankins
G Waters (maybe C)
G Gallery (has played tackle)
C Connolly
C Wendell
C McDonald

Carrying 10 OL is the upper limit of what the 53-man can bear. And 9 is probably more the mark. One of these players will probably not make the opening day roster, but honestly I cant tell which. I guess the default answer is McDonald.

And if BB adds a rookie in the draft, then he has to cut another name from this list... which you have to assume would be either Light or Waters.

The default is McDonald. if we draft a rookie high, we could carry 10 OL's. Alternatively, someone could be retiring (Waters, Light or Vollmer), or he could beat out Wendell.

Carrying 10 OL is the upper limit of what the 53-man can bear. And 9 is probably more the mark. One of these players will probably not make the opening day roster, but honestly I cant tell which. I guess the default answer is McDonald.

And if BB adds a rookie in the draft, then he has to cut another name from this list... which you have to assume would be either Light or Waters.

Getting hard to keep up.

Gallery is a Guard now (drafted at Tackle), maybe Waters isn't coming back. Gallery 4 years younger, wonder how long he signed for.

Insurance, I think this means they really don't know if Waters is coming back. I stil hope he returns.

Per Michael Lombardi on Twitter.

Belichick always loved this guy.

This is the ultimate risk/reward for us.....This guy was awesome first few years in Oak....really excelled at left GUARD rather than Left tackle which he played in college....Have NO idea what he did in his time in Seattle...and Have NO idea what he has left in the tank. But, I don't think he had any major injuries did he? He is 30 or 31....Could be a HUGE pickup if he can still bring it.....Good eyes BB!!!

He played LT in college......he excelled at LG in the pro's.....did not have as much success at LT in the pro's......Dont ask me why!!!!

That's one hell of an OL on paper in terms of talent, depth and experience. Would not shock me if they again go OL in first 4 picks, especially with Light and Water year by year, Vollmer recent health issues.

I would imagine that this may signal that waters is done (dang it!) and that Vollmer may be dropped due to his back issues...He had alot of problems last year trying to get back.....

The default is McDonald. if we draft a rookie high, we could carry 10 OL's. Alternatively, someone could be retiring (Waters, Light or Vollmer), or he could beat out Wendell.

I would imagine that this may signal that waters is done (dang it!) and that Vollmer may be dropped due to his back issues...He had alot of problems last year trying to get back.....

Vollmer retiring or cut? are you guys high?!

Oh dear god. This guy was on the Seahawks last year, and he was pretty much a non factor on the O line. He was injured a ton last year. I personally don't like this move.

He isn't projected as a starter. How is us signing a starting Lg in the league as a backup for us construed as a negative? and you know he has some talent as not only has he started across the league but he was selected 2nd overall so he's got some good physical attributes at least.

I think the way ACQB set it up was probably the correct analysis. But, baring injury, and Light and Waters back, there is going to be a lot of competition going on for both starting positions and roster spots.

The 2 that interest me the most is who will win the back up G position, Gallery or Wendell - Who will win the back up C position (McDonald or Wendell), and finally will Matt Light be able to hold off Nate Solder after a year's experience and a full off season program.

In some respects all these signings are disconcerting only in the I'm worried about having the money to resign Carter and Anderson. However on the other hand, it is very comforting to see the kind of competition that will be occurring at TC this season. Think about it, if you figure the Pats are going to keep 8 receivers (5WR's 3TE's). Lloyd, Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez are locks. That means Edelman, Gonzales, Stallworth,Ocho, underwood, a probable a draft pick and Branch if resigned will all be competing for just 3 slots. Now THAT, my friends, is a C-O-M-P-E-T-I-O-N

And that is what makes me excited. Real competition for real jobs - NOW GET ME my rushers. ;)

Oh dear god. This guy was on the Seahawks last year, and he was pretty much a non factor on the O line. He was injured a ton last year. I personally don't like this move.

One year deal. No worries

How long until the first Trade Mankins thread?

Waters has played Center, was better at Guard but maybe they move him. Maybe they have Gallery as the sixth lineman or competition for Waters.
Either way, great depth on the line.

As it stands now:
T Light
T Vollmer
T Solder
T/G Cannon
G Mankins
G Waters (maybe C)
G Gallery (has played tackle)
C Connolly
C Wendell
C McDonald
Donald Thomas say hi!

New England Patriots: Donald Thomas

How long until the first Trade Mankins thread?

Since I started the TRADE MANKINS NOW thread a couple years ago...please let me! I think this is official notice that Mankins' salary isnt reflective on his play in big games. Its hard to miss the fact that the safety in the SB was right through Mankins, and that was effectively the difference in the game. Mankins makes more money than anyone on the line and having both Gallery and Waters means we can at least play hardball with him....tell him to take a pay cut or make him the last cut so he cant go get set up with another team. ALA Lawyer Milloy. Either Gallery is camp fodder or Mankin's cost-effectiveness is a issue. If we move him out we can sign WW....

Since I started the TRADE MANKINS NOW thread a couple years ago...please let me! I think this is official notice that Mankins' salary isnt reflective on his play in big games. Its hard to miss the fact that the safety in the SB was right through Mankins, and that was effectively the difference in the game. Mankins makes more money than anyone on the line and having both Gallery and Waters means we can at least play hardball with him....tell him to take a pay cut or make him the last cut so he cant go get set up with another team. ALA Lawyer Milloy. Either Gallery is camp fodder or Mankin's cost-effectiveness is a issue. If we move him out we can sign WW....

Literally couldn't trade him if they wanted to. Would cost more against the cap to move then to keep him.

Umm, no. Trade Mankins and his signing bonus is accelerated, causing the Pats to take a $16 million cap hit. The Pats have zero leverage in asking him to take a pay cut. He would have no problem finding another team to sign him even if he was a final roster cut. Do this and the Pats are both without a starter as well as without cap space to sign a replacement.

Mankins is the starter and isn't going anywhere. Gallery is a backup; insurance if someone gets hurt.

Literally couldn't trade him if they wanted to. Would cost more against the cap to move then to keep him.

Hope his plants do better than his football ideas.

Umm, no. Trade Mankins and his signing bonus is accelerated, causing the Pats to take a $16 million cap hit. The Pats have zero leverage in asking him to take a pay cut. He would have no problem finding another team to sign him even if he was a final roster cut. Do this and the Pats are both without a starter as well as without cap space to sign a replacement.

Mankins is the starter and isn't going anywhere. Gallery is a backup; insurance if someone gets hurt.

So what your saying is they can trade him for a 2nd round pick and save how much on the cap?

Ugh, that safety was a freak play. Tuck was thrown into Mankins, somehow regained his balance and then went after Brady. Not Mankins fault at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye