PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots absolutely, positively select:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hughes is only 5'10, while Cason is 6'. Also, Hughes ran forties in the 4.60-4.72 range. That's a big difference from 4.55, and Cason's run in the 4.44-4.55 range, which is a big difference. Cason's also dangerous with the ball in his hands (4 TD's his senior season), and his overall scouting grades are higher.

NFLDraftScout.com ranks Cason the 2nd CB overall, and I tend to agee that he should go in the first round.

he tweaked his leg during Combine. He ran a 4.56 at Pro Day.
his senior year, he had 8 INTs, 2 for TDs.

15 career INTs and 4 TDs total @ Cal

i think he was more of a ball hawk than Cason is. i like Cason more though and think hes better but my point is that Hughes's 40 dropped him. Yes he was 5"10 but you cant say Cason is 6"0 until the offical # comes out. Remember, Hughes was listed as 6"2 on Cal site and thats why people assumed his size was great.

he tweaked his leg during Combine. He ran a 4.56 at Pro Day.
his senior year, he had 8 INTs, 2 for TDs.

15 career INTs and 4 TDs total @ Cal

i think he was more of a ball hawk than Cason is. i like Cason more though and think hes better but my point is that Hughes's 40 dropped him. Yes he was 5"10 but you cant say Cason is 6"0 until the offical # comes out. Remember, Hughes was listed as 6"2 on Cal site and thats why people assumed his size was great.

Cason also had 15 career INT's, and two INT's returned for TD's his senior season, but he also had two punt returns for TD's that very same season. I'd say Cason is the more dangerous of the two...

Cason also had 15 career INT's, and two INT's returned for TD's his senior season, but he also had two punt returns for TD's that very same season. I'd say Cason is the more dangerous of the two...
why are we talking stats? McKelvin as nowhere near the picks they do and hes better than both. I brought it up because Hughes was a late 1st/early 2nd like Cason and the reason for his fall is due to his 40.

Watch. If Cason runs 4.4, he'll be a top 20 pick. If he runs 4.55 or worse..hes out of round 2.

why are we talking stats? McKelvin as nowhere near the picks they do and hes better than both. I brought it up because Hughes was a late 1st/early 2nd like Cason and the reason for his fall is due to his 40.

Watch. If Cason runs 4.4, he'll be a top 20 pick. If he runs 4.55 or worse..hes out of round 2.

Question for you and some others. What makes you so certain about Leodis McKelvin? He played for Troy, where I doubt many fans of this board got to see much of him. And it's well known that he's got bad hands. If a CB needs that much work on his ball skills I can't see how you could believe he's top ten worthy. He's also short (5'10), and I noticed him making a few mistakes at practices, so I don't completely understand the amount of hype he's receiving right now. I'm not saying he's not a good player, but top ten worthy? I'm not sure about that.

Question for you and some others. What makes you so certain about Leodis McKelvin? He played for Troy, where I doubt many fans of this board got to see much of him. And it's well known that he's got bad hands. If a CB needs that much work on his ball skills I can't see how you could believe he's top ten worthy. He's also short (5'10), and I noticed him making a few mistakes at practices, so I don't completely understand the amount of hype he's receiving right now. I'm not saying he's not a good player, but top ten worthy? I'm not sure about that.

Totally agree on McKelvin. You can't draft a cb in the top 10 who has no ball skills. Cbs without ball skills are #2 cbs in the NFL, nothing more, no matter how well they cover.

all i heard was positive things from him and when McShay or whoever it was turned on the game film, it was great. At practice he didnt make many mistakes..he slipped twice but hes got great change of direction and footwork. He jumps routes very well and tackles very well. Played for Troy..well Marques Colston played for Hostra. Randy Moss played for Marshall(little bigger than Troy), DeMarcus Ware and Osi played @ Troy.

Small school or not, he played lights out there and his test was the Senior Bowl to see how he reacts to better/faster/stronger players. He did great. Same with Cromartie

Before the Senior Bowl, he was a late first rounder by many scouts. Because he doesnt have hands, hes not worth of top 10 pick? thats a very poor statement. Hands are one thing that can easily be fixed. Asante Samuel..David Givens..what happened to them? Its not hard at all with some practice on the jugs or throwing the ball around. Once he does get hands, hes capable of 10 INTs like Samuel, Cromartie, Bailey. Even if he doesnt have hands..hes not letting up plays. He'll shut down his side in a few years and wont get thrown @ as much

Hes closer to 5"11 and thats not a bad size at all. Hes not a midget, hes got good size.

you can easily draft a CB with decent ball skills. like i said, thats not hard to develop. He tracks the ball well and gets his hands on it. its not like he just doesnt locate it and doesnt touch it...just doesnt finish the play once the ball hits his hands. At least the balls hit his hands and with a little work which he says hes working on..he'll easily get better at it

Last edited:
all i heard was positive things from him and when McShay or whoever it was turned on the game film, it was great. At practice he didnt make many mistakes..he slipped twice but hes got great change of direction and footwork. He jumps routes very well and tackles very well. Played for Troy..well Marques Colston played for Hostra. Randy Moss played for Marshall(little bigger than Troy), DeMarcus Ware and Osi played @ Troy.

Small school or not, he played lights out there and his test was the Senior Bowl to see how he reacts to better/faster/stronger players. He did great. Same with Cromartie

Before the Senior Bowl, he was a late first rounder by many scouts. Because he doesnt have hands, hes not worth of top 10 pick? thats a very poor statement. Hands are one thing that can easily be fixed. Asante Samuel..David Givens..what happened to them? Its not hard at all with some practice on the jugs or throwing the ball around. Once he does get hands, hes capable of 10 INTs like Samuel, Cromartie, Bailey. Even if he doesnt have hands..hes not letting up plays. He'll shut down his side in a few years and wont get thrown @ as much

Hes closer to 5"11 and thats not a bad size at all. Hes not a midget, hes got good size.

you can easily draft a CB with decent ball skills. like i said, thats not hard to develop. He tracks the ball well and gets his hands on it. its not like he just doesnt locate it and doesnt touch it...just doesnt finish the play once the ball hits his hands. At least the balls hit his hands and with a little work which he says hes working on..he'll easily get better at it

Asante was a fourth round pick, and it took some time for his hands to develop. I don't think you take someone in the top ten when they have bad hands, sorry.

Also, I watched him at practice, and he did make some mistakes. I'm not going by some highlights a talking head pulled out to support his guy, but my own opinion while watching throughout practices. Some of those mistakes were fixable, but I didn't see top 10 pick when I watched him. Cason doesn't just have better ball skills, he also had more Pass breakups his senior year, so I wouldn't say McKelvin has shown better awareness either. I''ll also note NFLDraftScout seems to agree with my opinion, as they have McKelvin listed as a late first/early second round pick.

Last edited:
Asante was a fourth round pick, and it took some time for his hands to develop. I don't think you take someone in the top ten when they have bad hands, sorry.

Also, I watched him at practice, and he did make some mistakes. I'm not going by some highlights a talking head pulled out to support his guy, but my own opinion while watching throughout practices. Some of those mistakes were fixable, but I didn't see top 10 pick when I watched him. Cason doesn't just have better ball skills, he also had more Pass breakups his senior year, so I wouldn't say McKelvin has shown better awareness either. I''ll also note NFLDraftScout seems to agree with my opinion, as they have McKelvin listed as a late first/early second round pick.

Asante had great hands in college. He played Qb in high school and brought his offensive skills to the pros. It just took him a couple of years for those skills to manifest themselves at the pro level. Mckelvin has had stone hands his whole college career.

thats not fair way to put it..it all depends how hard you work at it. some players dont take it seriously..some do. thats where the homework by the scouting/coaches come in and see his work ethic

deflections..another poor judgment. who gets more chances at deflections. Dre Bly or Champ Bailey? put stats away.

draftscout agrees with you? im glad. NFLDraftCountdown agrees with me. as does McShay

Kiper has him top15 pick

i guess theres something we dont agree on for once. im one of those who dont believe in "top 5, top 10 value"

i feel if hes the best player @ the position you want, you take him if you like him. if you feel you can trade down and still get him, thats fine.

im not a fan of "hes not valuable enough @ #7" talk for any player. if i had to choose between a CB/LB or McFadden, I'd take the CB/LB because its what we need. Thats value there because a. he can step in and play right away(CB at least) and b. its a need. What will McFadden bring to us? Another good offensive player when Maroney is playing lights out and 2 other underrated backs.

Kind of like Donte` Whitner. Was he top 15 value? probably not but Bills took a player they liked who fit their need and it worked out great.

first CBs picked last few seasons
2007: Revis 14th
2006: Hill 15th
2005: Pacman #6
2004: Hall #8

Last edited:
thats not fair way to put it..it all depends how hard you work at it. some players dont take it seriously..some do. thats where the homework by the scouting/coaches come in and see his work ethic

deflections..another poor judgment. who gets more chances at deflections. Dre Bly or Champ Bailey? put stats away.

draftscout agrees with you? im glad. NFLDraftCountdown agrees with me. as does McShay

Kiper has him top15 pick

It deosn't matter where this situation is concerned, but I'm already on record as not being a fan of Scott Wright or Kiper.

It deosn't matter where this situation is concerned, but I'm already on record as not being a fan of Scott Wright or Kiper.

thats fine but in reality..these guys are paid to do this stuff (well Kiper is) and we can trust them for most part.

my CB rankings are
1. McKelvin
2. Jenkins
3. Cromartie
4. Cason
5. Talib

Cason is in my opinion the best CB coming out of the draft. The only reason his name dipped off is because teams were doing everything in their power to not even throw in his direction.

Cason is in my opinion the best CB coming out of the draft. The only reason his name dipped off is because teams were doing everything in their power to not even throw in his direction.

For our scheme, now that i learned about the Cover 3, i think Cason and McKelvin are the best fits if we stick to the C3. Asante mentioned he wants to come back and he loves everyone to death but if his asking price is as high as it was last year, say hello to a FA or rookie

For our scheme, now that i learned about the Cover 3, i think Cason and McKelvin are the best fits if we stick to the C3. Asante mentioned he wants to come back and he loves everyone to death but if his asking price is as high as it was last year, say hello to a FA or rookie

They'll say hello to FA's and Rookie's. BB will bring in at least one decent FA (maybe even a very good FA), and they'll also draft one CB within the first two-three picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes