PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Ohrnberger Mystery,,

Were there a lot of "highly ranked" players slipping??
Who were the others? Was it solely Ohrnberger??

Yes, there was another very highly-ranked player slipping, and it could not have been more obvious that he should have been the chosen one: DE/OLB Lawrence Sidbury Jr.

I feel like DeNiro when he told Stallone (played by Bill) in CopLand: "...but you BLEW IT!"

The mystery to me is why they drafted an UDFA in the 4th round. 4th round picks are too valuable to waste.

They also drafted a 1 gap NT...don't know where he's going to go. Bussey most had as an UDFA too.

I would have liked to see they grab Jarron Gilbert in the 2nd, Vollmer in the 3rd, and Tate with Ornberger's pick.

I know, IBBWT, but a lot of the OL haven't done so well lately.

I wonder about Wesley Britt too...where is he? I think he was the SEC OL of the year and now he's JAG?

I agree with everything you said.

They did that a few years ago too. Some guy named Vince.

Please don't even begin to compare All-American & All-Pro Vincent Wilfork to a short, lazy, overweight Warren Sapp wannabe.

Ohrnsberger is the proverbial head scratcher.

He is undersized, at about 290 lbs, and does not have nearly enough size to play OG in the NFL. Casey Hampton, Jamal Williams and Hoagy Ngata types are going to plow him onto the IR in about two plays. If Orhnsberger plays as a rookie.

Ohrnsberger is technically sound, football intelligent and understands angles and leverage.

Just a hunch, but I think BB grooms the kid as a backup Center who plays OG in times of desperation.

Bingo!:D:D

So, you agree that we are grooming someone who has exactly zero experience at center to be our backup center?

According to Reiss, that's where he's been lining up in minicamp.

So, you agree that we are grooming someone who has exactly zero experience at center to be our backup center?

In his Penn State bio, it was said that Ohrnberger always cross-trained at Center. But he was to valuable as an All Big Ten Guard at both LG and another time at RG. He is not untrained at Center. Taking college Guards and turning them into Centers in the NFL, is not at all unusual.

1) I read the bio. Ohrenberger did not play one down at center at Penn State.

2) I have a prediction. For Game One, two centers will be active for the game other than Ohrenberger.

3) Why would Belichick trust the franchise to a player who has never ever played center? Have the patriots ever converted a player who has never played center to be a center?

In his Penn State bio, it was said that Ohrnberger always cross-trained at Center. But he was to valuable as an All Big Ten Guard at both LG and another time at RG. He is not untrained at Center. Taking college Guards and turning them into Centers in the NFL, is not at all unusual.

Last edited:
I just thought I'd drop in and mention that this guy may be a distant relative of mine.

My last name is OHRENBERGER. Not far from Ohrnberger. 8 brothers moved from germany to the us. One brother to boston, the other 7 to chicago and around. So I am thinking he is related to one of the 7.

Thought it was cool.

3) Why would Belichick trust the franchise to a player who has never ever played center? Have the patriots ever converted a player who has never played center to be a center?

Did Hochstein ever play Center at Nebraska? I'm too tired & lazy to research that one tonight. Besides, I'm hoping that Al Johnson makes him superfluous. It's past time for some fresh blood on this OLine.

Re: The Ohrnberger Mystery

Reiss says he's heard others were interested in Vollmer around where we took him. Just because Pro Football Weekly and NFL Draft Scout think they're going to be around later doesn't mean they will be.
Yeah, I don't doubt a team like Oakland was eyeing Vollmer, a sort of poor man's Robert Gallery who can play at a fraction of the salary.

Ohrenberger is a bit of a head scratcher. Can he bulk up? I watched Penn State's OLine this year, and they were one of the very best.

He is a tough guy who loves football, sort of a marginal NFL body (6'1" or so) with a Rudy-sized heart.

Great ST play? Leon Washington scores on his KO return because lil' Johnny Wilhite completely effs-up his coverage by taking the wrong angle & allowing himself to be blocked away from the return lane.

Wilhite as a binky? You can have him.

First off, all rookies make mistakes. Including MAYO. Who, even though he was Defensive Rookie of the Year, still has a TON of improving to do.

Secondly, How do you know Wilhite was the one who screwed up? You don't. You sure as hell aren't a Patriots coach and your knowledge of football could probably fit inside the little wax cap that Uniball puts on their pens.

Third, there are over-lapping lanes of coverage on kick offs. The entier unit was responsible for Washington's return. Not any one single person.

I believe that Gonzales beat the even more useless Mikey Richardson for that TD.

I'd rather have Mike Richardson than you any day. At least Richardson knows football.

Yes, there was another very highly-ranked player slipping, and it could not have been more obvious that he should have been the chosen one: DE/OLB Lawrence Sidbury Jr.

I feel like DeNiro when he told Stallone (played by Bill) in CopLand: "...but you BLEW IT!"

Lawrence Sidbury? You mean the guy that no one took until the 4th round? A guy who is said to "lack explosiveness" and "doesn't have the strength at the POA"? What makes him so special?

Also, how do you know that Sidbury could play in the 3-4? He played DE against marginal competition.

You are so high on "rankings" but you need to remember a few things. The Patriots don't use those rankings. They rank the players using their own scouts. And just because a player "ranks" highly with the scouting services it doesn't mean that he'll be good or get drafted high. All one has to do is remember Ernest Shazor. He was the SS that was touted as a late 1st or 2nd round pick and went undrafted. And didn't do squat in the NFL.

Re: The Ohrnberger Mystery

Yeah, I don't doubt a team like Oakland was eyeing Vollmer, a sort of poor man's Robert Gallery who can play at a fraction of the salary.

Ohrenberger is a bit of a head scratcher. Can he bulk up? I watched Penn State's OLine this year, and they were one of the very best.

He is a tough guy who loves football, sort of a marginal NFL body (6'1" or so) with a Rudy-sized heart.

Ohrnberger (there is no extra 3 at the beginning, sorry KDO) is a solid 6'2 1/4 lbs and was 297 at the combine. If he adds 10 lbs, he'll be right there with Neal, Hochstein, and Mankins.

Not sure why you think he's got a marginal NFL body.

Maybe I was confusing him with the guy he lined up next to, A.Q. Shipley, who I think is one of the steals of the draft by the Steelers.

A NFL lineman who goes 6'2" is short by today's standards. Taller players can get their arms into their pads and stuff 'em. But I figure the Pats think he's gritty and strong enough to handle himself. Obviously.

KDO? Kiddo? I'm 42, married, with six dependents, a West Point education, and I work two jobs. And I have for nearly ten years. 'Nuff said.

Don't judge a commentator by the name of comments, methinks.

Maybe I was confusing him with the guy he lined up next to, A.Q. Shipley, who I think is one of the steals of the draft by the Steelers.

A NFL lineman who goes 6'2" is short by today's standards. Taller players can get their arms into their pads and stuff 'em. But I figure the Pats think he's gritty and strong enough to handle himself. Obviously.

KDO? Kiddo? I'm 42, married, with six dependents, a West Point education, and I work two jobs. And I have for nearly ten years. 'Nuff said.

Don't judge a commentator by the name of comments, methinks.

State - KDO is a poster who commented on Ohrnberger's name on the previous page. Do you have a guilty conscience or something?

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back