PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots vs Jets POST Game Thread

Yeah, the screaming clowns are at it again. Their act is so tired.

Did you even watch? He wasn't even that critical. Called Brady a great leader, just said it sends a bad message. Given how trashy NFLN usually is, I had no problem with it.

What a total A hole Mike Irvin is . Did anyone catch the NFLN post game. Saying TB shouldn't be yelling at the rooks. The guy cant stand Brady. It really was pathetic. Trying to be unbiased (fake). Even if he is right, his hatred came thru loud and clear. Man, I hate that jealous, mumbling, POS.

Tons of adversity against a team that always plays us tough and we did enough to win. Given what we're dealing with on offense I'll take it. Our next game will be pretty similar but we'll have Amendola and maybe even half a Gronk.

Dobson and Thompkins will improve.

We're 2-0. That's all that matters. The Giants were champs at 9-7. I'll take ugly success over beautiful failure any day of the week.

Ya'll some spoiled sons of *****es. Defense winning games is an old habit I'd love to get back into.

I may have missed one, but I believe that is only the third time in a decade the Patriots have scored fewer than 14 points and won. Two are against the Jets and one against Buffalo in the last game of the season 2008 (13-0).

I simply cannot remember a game in the last decade that was won, completely, by the defense. Sure there have been wins where the defense got big stops. But a game where the defense protected a small lead like that for series after series after series? Can't remember it.

The Jets had 15 full possessions -- none were the end of half shortened variety. Usually a team that plays the Patriots is lucky to have 12. They allowed just two scoring drives -- and only one TD drive. On a night when just two TD drives allowed would have lost the game.

Consider the punting unit too, which I would argue was virtually as important as the defense. Despite the fact that the Patriots could not move the ball, the Jets started 14 of their 15 drives inside their own 34, and 12 drives inside their own 22 yard line. The Patriots punted 11 times. The Jets had SEVEN return yards. Total. On 11 punts. That is amazing. The Patriots had 514 yards of punts tonight, with a net of 507 yards. I would guess that is a record. And I wouldn't think it's very close. I don't know if they keep that sort of stat, but it's a shocker.

Wrong. When taking into consideration the NET, you have to take into consideration the 60 yards they gave the Jets via Touchbacks. The net was 447, not 507 as you stated. Still a very good net on the 11 punts.

other thoughts:
mangold can go eat a giant turd

still not sure about that chandler jones roughing penalty, only saw 1 replay, but initially looked like helmet to chest

brady's TD streak barely survives

Re: Re: The Official Patriots vs Jets POST Game Thread

Michael Irvin quite animated. Said Brady did too much demonstrating after those receivers. Way too much showing up of receivers when the rookies are playing their 2nd game in a complex offense.
I dont know how this builds confidence in these guys.

Curran asked Belichick about that in his post game presser, Bill basically told him to F himself.

Dobson (correct me if i am wrong) didn't drop a single ball last year in college so usually that is not his MO.

I'll correct you. Dobson dropped at least two balls against... I don't remember, UCF? I posted the video here when the Patriots drafted him.

Is this the worst Patriot team since 2006?

2-0 is great but there are some serious personnel issues..

Man we really need a good veteran WR ASAP. Start selling those future draft picks BB and get us some WR help now!

Right because The Hut aside, we've seen vet WRs adapt SO quickly to a Brady offense even after missing an entire summer camp.

Brady is human. I understand his frustration. Were he to kick BB in the groin for putting the team in this situation, I'd understand.

BUT

He's the leader. He's older. More grounded. Yelling is for the practice field. In game conditions it doesn't pay to however deservedly unleash on hapless rooks. It will not help THEM focus. Yell the 1st couple times and then just (Please be quiet - edited) and lead.

Following up last week's debacle, we had Thompkins/Dobson going with 5 catches on 17 targets, with the big Dobson catch happening when the Jets completely blew a coverage and left him without any defender on him at all.

I doubt Brady's reaction is much different from what we'd see from any other elite QB in the NFL in similar circumstances. Now that he's had this crap for a couple of games, he'll adjust to it and be more stoic moving forward.

1. They won
2. The passing game has a ton of bad film to dissect
3. They have a long week
4. The Bucs aren't very good
5. I am finally giving Gronk a chance to return the next game
6. No major injuries
7. The D looks really good

And my biggest observation of the game:
When the hell did Gregory actually get good? I think this was easily the fewest bad plays he's ever had in a game with the Pats.

I may have missed one, but I believe that is only the third time in a decade the Patriots have scored fewer than 14 points and won. Two are against the Jets and one against Buffalo in the last game of the season 2008 (13-0).

I simply cannot remember a game in the last decade that was won, completely, by the defense. Sure there have been wins where the defense got big stops. But a game where the defense protected a small lead like that for series after series after series? Can't remember it.

The Jets had 15 full possessions -- none were the end of half shortened variety. Usually a team that plays the Patriots is lucky to have 12. They allowed just two scoring drives -- and only one TD drive. On a night when just two TD drives allowed would have lost the game.

Consider the punting unit too, which I would argue was virtually as important as the defense. Despite the fact that the Patriots could not move the ball, the Jets started 14 of their 15 drives inside their own 34, and 12 drives inside their own 22 yard line. The Patriots punted 11 times. The Jets had SEVEN return yards. Total. On 11 punts. That is amazing. The Patriots had 514 yards of punts tonight, with a net of 507 yards. I would guess that is a record. And I wouldn't think it's very close. I don't know if they keep that sort of stat, but it's a shocker.

That is pretty awesome defense -- 15 possessions, 10 points, and at least one series putting points into the offense's hand.

As for the punts -- a little more crispness on downing punts would have nice, and indeed on avoiding touchbacks in general. It was a good punting performance even so.

Also on punts -- when there is no return man on a punt, it's hard to get return yardage.

Michael Irvin quite animated. Said Brady did too much demonstrating after those receivers. Way too much showing up of receivers when the rookies are playing their 2nd game in a complex offense.
I dont know how this builds confidence in these guys.

I just heard Brady call himself out in his press conference. Tom is not allowed to show any emotion. He must be a robot out there. I will show emotion for him. Those WRS SUCKED tonight. Even when the ball was in their hands they still couldn't catch it. It's been a long time since I've seen that many dropped balls in a Patriots offense. I hear you Tom, but keep your frustration buried deep inside. I will show the FRUSTRATION for you.

Re: Is this the worst Patriot team since 2006?

It is what it is, bra. Are D is stepping up. Be happy..

What impressed me?

The rookies getting WIDE OPEN downfield time and time again. That was great.

What depressed me? Their hands.

Exactly. It's been a while since I've seen WRs streaking towards the endzone like that. If Dobson catches that one he lost in the lights we're talking about an entirely different game.

They'll fix the communication, Brady is just impatient.

Bolden needs to get healthy and atleast hop Blount on the depth chart. Blount is near useless.

We need some sort of running game without Vereen.

Bolden is as useless as Blount.

Tons of adversity against a team that always plays us tough and we did enough to win. Given what we're dealing with on offense I'll take it. Our next game will be pretty similar but we'll have Amendola and maybe even half a Gronk.

Dobson and Thompkins will improve.

We're 2-0. That's all that matters. The Giants were champs at 9-7. I'll take ugly success over beautiful failure any day of the week.

Ya'll some spoiled sons of *****es. Defense winning games is an old habit I'd love to get back into.

No one objects to defensive games lol. These are two awful teams they just beat. Lets see how they do against Atlanta before we call this a winning defense.

Curran asked Belichick about that in his post game presser, Bill basically told him to F himself.

Please post more post game press conf gold for us away from NE

I loved BB insisting to the refs that the Jet scum be walked out of the stadium before continuing play

I actually don't think Geno Smith is a terrible quarterback. A lot of his throws were on all the money. He just makes rookie mistakes and has the worst receiving corps in the entire league. A better non-rookie QB could have beaten us tonight.

And if we didn't have Edelman tonight, our WRs would be just as bad. This isn't a Patriot offense anymore. We can't run the ball and most of our guys can't catch the ball. We are lucky if we make the wild card this year. Lucky!

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back