PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official Patriots vs Colts POST game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Anyone else notice that Arrington (?) was playing DE in he prevent?

Only possibility i could think is that maybe Arrington could jump to knock a pass down/intercept it at the line but that doesn't seem likely.

First off you've got to appreciate back to back wins over the Steelers and Colts, no matter how this looked. Say what you want about the Colts but they are still one of the toughest in the league to beat.

That said, I'm very disappointed in the defense this week. The real negative here is that we have taken a step backwards after it seemed to be coming along. We were playing better in the red zone this year and then this week all their scores are TD's. That can't happen against a good team. Little pressure aside from 2 of the picks, and horrible horrible tackling at key moments. Right before halftime, there was no excuse for giving up a TD in that situation. But they let Wayne run through the defense like he has a gun in his hand. No excuse for that TD, we should've been up 21-10 going into half. This game should NOT HAVE BEEN CLOSE given how our offense played the first 3 quarters.

And the last 10 minutes were managed just horribly on both sides of the ball. A couple times where Brady snapped the ball with 10 seconds or so on the play clock :confused: Defense gives up way too easy of a TD when it was 31-14, I think that drive only took about 3 minutes off the clock. Just horribly managed. We really got lucky on a great play by Cunningham/Sanders. Major cause for concern that our offense has struggled in 2 of these situations already (SD and today). Imagine in the playoffs having to close out a game, how confident are you gonna be?

Edelman is trying to unseat Butler for biggest disappointment of the year. He's been completely useless.

So.....who exactly is a "good team". So far, they have beaten Baltimore, San Diego, Pittsburgh, and Indy and you talk about "good" teams.

Did you bother to like think before posting?

They absolutely manhandled Ben and Pitt run game until the fourth, and perhaps "manhandle" is too strong a word for what they did to Colts for three quarters but they completely smothered the ground game minus a brilliantly called draw play and played well enough vs one of the three best QBs of all time picking him off twice. They were an Edelman drop from a comfortable win.

I'm not saying they are an above average D by any means but they are playing well enough to win the 2010 Super Bowl. Again, I challenge you and others to name a team you'd like to switch places with that is better positioned to make a SB run.

The offense and special teams helped the defense out alot over the first 3 quarters, as there were only 5 possessions for Manning. The defense stopped the Colts 3 times and gave up 2 TD's. That's an average performance, which is good considering it's Peyton Manning. Far from manhandling. If they'd have continued that pace over the course of the game and given up 21 pts that's a good performance, but they gave up 14 points in a span of about 5 minutes which allowed the Colts right back in it. That's a poor performance overall.

Why would I want to switch teams? We could very well be the best team right now but how often do you see the best regular season team win it all? You always have to accept that there is room for improvement.

Unfortunately, the Jets are more adept at it thus far.

I think there is a difference between winning close games and getting extremely lucky because of brain farts by the opposing team. The patriots may give up leads in the 4th but they won't make the mistakes opposing teams have made in recent weeks against the jets.

So.....who exactly is a "good team". So far, they have beaten Baltimore, San Diego, Pittsburgh, and Indy and you talk about "good" teams.

Did you bother to like think before posting?

What the hell are you talking about? I said the Patriots are not a good team? I'm truly confused here

Against the Ravens, Chargers, Steelers, and Colts the Patriots are 4-0.

Honestly, name ONE person who called that one. Enough with the hand wringing, guys. The young D is getting a ton of experience, and at the end of the day the W's are still piling up.

Some perspective will work wonders, folks.

Here is a good caption this photo from today.

Hah ... I can run at the height you guys fall from.

r93564197.jpg

The New England Patriots offense needs a legitimate wide receiver opposite of Deion Branch. Edelman is not the answer. On a footnote, I consider Wes Welker a slot receiver in the New England Patriots offense to preface my original thought.
Regardless of what you consider him Wes Welker is the WR opposite Branch or Tate when we are in 2 WR sets.
Edelman barely played, so I dont know how you elevated him to starter

What offense did the Patriots 'manhandle'? I've defended them alot this year and last but the defense was awful today aside from 2 or 3 drives.

Of course I'm satisfied to this point, I kind of said that in the very first sentence of my post. But there's room for improvement, you can get away with certain things in November that you won't get away with int he playoffs. You think BB is going to tell his team they should be satisfied with damn near blowing 2 17 point 4th quarter leads? There's always room for improvement, we are fortunate that we did not have to lose these games but the team damn sure better realize this is an issue.

Yup

They picked off the GOAT 3 times (one to win the game) and allowed 28 points to a team that averages 27 points.

Do you think before posting?

Against the Ravens, Chargers, Steelers, and Colts the Patriots are 4-0.

Honestly, name ONE person who called that one. Enough with the hand wringing, guys. The young D is getting a ton of experience, and at the end of the day the W's are still piling up.

Some perspective will work wonders, folks.

I agree with this. We have by no means had an easy schedule and are 8-2. You have to be pretty happy with that going into the stretch run.

Tate was invisible against the Indianapolis Colts defense. Tate's current value with the New England Patriots is the primary kick returner. Maybe Tate will further develop in the New England Patriots offense next year after all the mini-camps, training camps, and preseason.

Brady needs to start looking at tate more...i remember two plays where he was open for a TD, one was in the screen pass to welker that was dropped in the red zone...welker got so much attention tate was open in that same corner of the endzone

the other play was in the all out blitz later in the game in the 4th quarter...where brady simply through it to the ground near welker...tate had NO ONE around him, and if brady had simply lobbed it up, it would have been TD, to the tune of 70 yards and sealed the game

tate is good, just that the communication/chemistry between the two is not there yet...it will be there either as this year goes on, or by next year

and about edelman, i called that drop as soon as he entered the game...the guy was rusty, should NOT have been put in that position, bad by the coaching staff if you ask me, that throw SHOULD have been cought, but was in no way EASY....

Tate is essentially a rookie so I'm also willing to be patient with him. It takes time when you're in this offense. Brady also missed him on a TD last week (not to complain about Brady last week obviously).

As for Edelman, I recall another key drop but the opponent/week escapes my mind. It was also on the goal line. Also his return game is ineffective aside from 1 good return against SD.

Re: And the MVP of the game is......

Tyjuan Hagler

Thank you Mr. Hagler for dropping what probably was going to eventually result in a game winning INT that fell into your hands but you bobbled it like it was a hot potato

I want to thank you for missing a catch that most players in your position of the pass would catch with their ****

Thank you Mr Hagler for your inept play and thank god it was you and not Brackett there in position or the outcome could have been different.
Actually if Brackett where in there he wouldnt have been standing out of position with a deer in the headlights posture. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes, but may not be able to do anything with it.

Any info on how Price is progressing? How are his hands? Do you think we will see him active at all this season?

Also who is pat Angerer?

6'00' 235 LB ... 63rd pick in the 2010 draft had 12 tackles today.

Now some of them could have been after Benny and Danny had decent yardage but still not bad for a smaller player.

Last edited:
I have to agree. Why Matt Patricia moved them into a PREVENT defense is beyond me. Especially after what happened last year when they did the exact same thing.

How do you know it was his call? Isn't BB the DC?

From the recent media coverage, Pepper may even be closer to being the next D coordinator if BB stays in house.

Lol this could be a stupid post of being overtired but....

Could Woodhead play nickelback? He's fast, shifty, and is a great tackler on special teams :D

Any info on how Price is progressing? How are his hands? Do you think we will see him active at all this season?

Why would you all of a sudden throw a rookie into the mix during a playoff run which really starts after Thanksgiving,especially with the team doing enough on offense to win?

Let the kid sit and develop and bring him along slowly next season,I actually don't think Edelman will be with the team next year so Price may eventually garnish the 4th receiver spot in 2011

I think the only way Price sees the field in 2010 (if he is healthy) would be to injury to the top 4 receivers.

Last edited:
I mean Edelman has been non-existent this year so Price really couldn't be any worse. If his hands are okay maybe he could return punts. I have heard he is lightning fast.

Regardless of what you consider him Wes Welker is the WR opposite Branch or Tate when we are in 2 WR sets.
Edelman barely played, so I dont know how you elevated him to starter
Edelman had a key drop in the fourth quarter near the goal line.

3-6-IND 7 (10:32) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to 11-J.Edelman.

The offense and special teams helped the defense out alot over the first 3 quarters, as there were only 5 possessions for Manning. The defense stopped the Colts 3 times and gave up 2 TD's. That's an average performance, which is good considering it's Peyton Manning. Far from manhandling. If they'd have continued that pace over the course of the game and given up 21 pts that's a good performance, but they gave up 14 points in a span of about 5 minutes which allowed the Colts right back in it. That's a poor performance overall.

Why would I want to switch teams? We could very well be the best team right now but how often do you see the best regular season team win it all? You always have to accept that there is room for improvement.

I'll gladly back off labeling their first quarter performance as manhandling, but my point is the D is playing well enough, and as you admit there is no team really playing much better than NE right now.

So just sit back and enjoy a quality win, regardless of how it went down in the fourth. As someone else said, this was pretty much the D's MO in three SB wins: play pretty well, bend in the fourth, but come up with game clinching play (Willie Mac stuffing edge on goal line says hi).

Of course we'd all prefer if the D and O had put the game away earlier, but the Colts are a worthy adversary who coincidently get paid too, so let's just enjoy this one and hope the team doesn't lay a Cleveland-sized turkey on Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back