PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

**The official Patriots vs Bills POST game thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought if there was a trap game on the schedule, this was it. Glad to see the guys heard the wake-up call from the Packers.

Many are applauding Butler, but he's a nickel back, not a CB. Arrington is a better all around corner and is a major upgrade in run support, not to mention blitzing. He ain't great, but as a #2, he's developing nicely. Compares very well to Hobbs, IMO, Without being injury prone.

Last edited:
Can't wait until you have to update it to 10-6 next week :singing:

And a few unbelievable notes on what an amazing stretch of football we've been playing.

Turnover ratio is now +27. Franchise record is +17 in 2003.

NFL record 7 straight games without a turnover. Old record was 5 games.

And this one seems a bit crazy.

NFL record 7 straight games with at least 30 points. Old record was 3 games. We've more than doubled the old record.

And all this during a stretch where we played 4 division leaders, another team that might qualify for the play-offs (Packers), the Lions on the road on a short week for Thanksgiving, and a division opponent at their place.

They had 28 going into the game (21 ints and 7 FF). They got 7 more turnovers, giving them 35. However, the Pats have turned the ball over 9 times. I think you typoed and meant they were at +26.

His hands have nothing to do with his knee..

I would actually argue that it does.

We all would agree that last year was an off-year for Brady. That was a byproduct of him learning how to play on his new knee.

While Welker is where no sane (or mortal) man should be at this point in his recovery, there are certain mental hurdles that I don't think anyone can get around or shortcut, such as learning to trust your new knee.

r1598533386.jpg

Minor point: the old record was three games for 30 points and no turnovers, not 30 points a game. [The LOLphins scored 30+ in four straight games just last year.]

Whoops. My bad.

Wait, seriously? The Dolphins scored 30 points in a game? I mean not 4 in a row. I mean once??? With Henne???

Wow. I had to look that up to double-check. You are correct sir.

Wow. Chad Henne didn't suck for 4 games in a row...

They had 28 going into the game (21 ints and 7 FF). They got 7 more turnovers, giving them 35. However, the Pats have turned the ball over 9 times. I think you typoed and meant they were at +26.

I was just quoting from Reiss's blog. But NFL.com's stats list 24 INTs and 12 fumble recoveries for 36. Somehow we must have picked up a fumble somewhere (literally)?

Last edited:
Were there any injuries in the game?
I caught most of it via an online feed and can't remember any

Thought if there was a trap game on the schedule, this was it. Glad to see the guys heard the wake-up call from the Packers.

Many are applauding Butler, but he's a nickel back, not a CB. Arrington is a better all around corner and is a major upgrade in run support, not to mention blitzing. He ain't great, but as a #2, he's developing nicely. Compares very well to Hobbs, IMO, Without being injury prone.

When teams go to three receivers, it just doesn't matter.

I saw Butler on Stevie Johnson, on Jones, on Roosevelt.

McCourty, Arrington and Butler alternated with these guys, and they also alternated positions. Arrington was in the slot as well.

I saw this because I had endzone seats and the Patriots spent all day long parked in my end zone. It seemed like Arrington and Butler were totally interchangeable in terms of what they were playing.

I would actually argue that it does.

We all would agree that last year was an off-year for Brady. That was a byproduct of him learning how to play on his new knee.

While Welker is where no sane (or mortal) man should be at this point in his recovery, there are certain mental hurdles that I don't think anyone can get around or shortcut, such as learning to trust your new knee.

All that may be true, but yesterday was cold even for Buffalo. I don't know if the announcers mentioned it but while the temp was 20 degrees, the wind was stiff the whole game, and the ball was frozen. I had an energy bar that froze AS I was eating it. Out of the wrapper it was soft, but 20 minutes later as I took my final bite, it was a rock. Brady had trouble throwing yesterday. Welker had trouble catching. You could tell Brady wasn't used to the ball on his first throw to a wide open Gronkowski.

Great game.

Run D struggled at times but did clamp down in the second half. Gave up 84 yards on the ground in the first half on 12 rushes (7 YPC), but only 27 yards on 7 carries (3.9 YPC) in the second half, not including the two scrambles by Fitzpatrick.

7 turnovers vs. 3 points given up, good job by the D. Yes, the Bills suck, but they also hung 30 on us the first time around. The D has made huge strides since then.

All 3 of Brady's TDs went to TEs, with 2 for Gronk, who has 9 now on the season.

Most importantly, #1 seed, HFA, AFC East champs, heck of a day.

64 yards of that was on the opening drive. I was driving through western New York and listened to the Bills post game.

Chan Gailey spent alot of time on the opening drive and adjustments between the the first and second drive.

If there was one thing I wish we had a patstans is a way to get extensive opposition media input/coverage.

Very interesting perspective from our chattering negativity posse and the felger/Borges of the world.

After seeing that opening drive, I was like awww man, Bills are going to give us a hard time today. I'm glad I was wrong.

One more thing that kind of shocked me. The Fred Jackson fumble happened at midfield. I was in the endzone, and I could clearly see him lose the ball before falling to the ground. I was not surprised to see Belichick throw a challenge flag. What surprised me though was that the ref was right there on top of the play and he didn't see it. Anyway, I think that perhaps the TV angle is the least telling angle on the football field. Sitting in the end zones, you can see so much more of the game. Granted, you don't see the yardage and you just don't get hung up much on down and distance. But you see all the play, all the lineman, you see the RBs making their choices (and that's the best part really because freakin' BenJarvus and Danny chose the right hole each and every time when they had 3 or 4 options to choose from. It was like they beat the street hustler at 3 Card Monte 20 times in a row.

I also got to watch passing plays develop from Brady's perspective and that was interesting. I realized that the QB sees a lot less of the field than I thought he did. Got to watch the DBs as well. My take on Butler is that he's easily juked but has outstanding athleticism and can make up for dekes. Arrington is the opposite. He doesn't seem to get cooked at the line but he does not have great athleticism and speed, so once a WR gets separation, you cringe. With Butler, I cringed at the line several times, and then either saw him make up the distance or else Fitzpatrick didn't realize he had Johnson open on Butler.

64 yards of that was on the opening drive. I was driving through western New York and listened to the Bills post game.

Chan Gailey spent alot of time on the opening drive and adjustments between the the first and second drive.

If there was one thing I wish we had a patstans is a way to get extensive opposition media input/coverage.

Very interesting perspective from our chattering negativity posse and the felger/Borges of the world.

Excellent point. That first drive was pretty much the only time they had consistent success running the ball. Kinda reminds me of last year's game when they ran all over us on the first drive, but didn't do much running after that.

One more thing that kind of shocked me. The Fred Jackson fumble happened at midfield. I was in the endzone, and I could clearly see him lose the ball before falling to the ground. I was not surprised to see Belichick throw a challenge flag. What surprised me though was that the ref was right there on top of the play and he didn't see it. Anyway, I think that perhaps the TV angle is the least telling angle on the football field. Sitting in the end zones, you can see so much more of the game. Granted, you don't see the yardage and you just don't get hung up much on down and distance. But you see all the play, all the lineman, you see the RBs making their choices (and that's the best part really because freakin' BenJarvus and Danny chose the right hole each and every time when they had 3 or 4 options to choose from. It was like they beat the street hustler at 3 Card Monte 20 times in a row.

I also got to watch passing plays develop from Brady's perspective and that was interesting. I realized that the QB sees a lot less of the field than I thought he did. Got to watch the DBs as well. My take on Butler is that he's easily juked but has outstanding athleticism and can make up for dekes. Arrington is the opposite. He doesn't seem to get cooked at the line but he does not have great athleticism and speed, so once a WR gets separation, you cringe. With Butler, I cringed at the line several times, and then either saw him make up the distance or else Fitzpatrick didn't realize he had Johnson open on Butler.

Great stuff. Love on site fan reports with all the info missing even from HDTV

What happened to the DL?

In the Bills first possession yesterday, they ran all over the Patriots. Looked like it was going to be a long night.

But the pats made some kind of adjustment and the run defense stiffened. Whatever it was, it worked... Great job by a unit decimated by flu and injury. Impressive as hell holding the Bills to single digits.

Re: What happened to the DL?

I know for sure it had a lot to do with Cohen. The Bills attacked where ever he was. We also moved Vince back to NT.
He is not good at stopping the run, he came back when we had to defend the pass.
We also brought Warren back.
So if you will call it adjustment, I think we went with Warren Wilfork and Love up front and it scared the Bills OC to abandon the run

Short answer, the DL is riddled with injuries.. thus we are playing some new guys picked off of the street.

In the Bills first possession yesterday, they ran all over the Patriots. Looked like it was going to be a long night.

But the pats made some kind of adjustment and the run defense stiffened. Whatever it was, it worked... Great job by a unit decimated by flu and injury. Impressive as hell holding the Bills to single digits.

When the score went to 17-3, the Bills had to pretty much abandon the run.

Which resulted in int after int.

Pretty easy to defend a one dimensional offense...like in SB 42.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back