PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

**The official Patriots vs Bills POST game thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: What happened to the DL?

Wilfork moved back to NT and everything was fine.

It was the same exactly way last year when we didn't have Wilfork against Buffalo. They marched right downfield, had to settle for 3, we made adjustments and shut them down rest of the afternoon. Only they didn't force 7 turnovers last year lol

The injuries are a bit of a concern, we have no way of knowing how serious they are, how effective these guys will be if/when they get back, how much is it them being hurt vs. BB just playing it safe. If Wright, Pryor, Brace, Warren can be full strength by Jan 15/16 weekend we're in amazing shape.

Some things I noticed:

The Bills ran through the Pats for 10 yards a carry in the first drive. Every run was successful. Then in the red zone they tried passing, missed a couple, and had to settle for a field goal.

Then in the following three quarters, they got away from the run. Too far behind?

As big as the Pats are in the front seven, and as solid as their corners and safeties are against the run, when teams run consistently they tend to succeed. With three NT-types on the DL, and some large OLB's like Moore and Cunningham, and tackling corners like McCourty and Arrington, it is surprising that teams have run so well - especially to start games. Keep the ball away from the offense, keep the big defenders running around the field; sounds like a blueprint for success.

Look at the Bills start, then the success Green Bay - not a running team - had, then look at Cleveland, Jets I, and so forth. This has to be the primary concern going into the playoffs.

I recognize that, against the Bills, all but two DL were out, and the team started an off-the-street DE/OLB and rotated in another street free agent. But this has been a consistent trend with all the rotating starting front sevens. Wright is not know for fixing this. Maybe if the Pats get four DL back, they can somehow resolve this. Hopefully Spikes and Cunningham can improve this.

Welker and Branch really disappeared in this game.
Glass half full: Pats didn't miss a beat. Three TD's to TE's, and this was with one TE down. These TE's are now a huge weapon, creating four real targets on every play. Throw in Woodhead and that's just too many players to cover. If teams commit to shutting down Branch and Welker, they will pay elsewhere.
Glass half empty: Brady had 140 yards passing. If you receive seven turnovers, you don't need a lot of yards. Welker sort of took himself out of the game with all the uncharacteristic drops. There might be some concern when the coaches watch the tape that Buffalo found a way to shut down both Branch and Welker.

Yes, the Pats running game looked great. A lot of teams look good running the ball against the Bills. I am still happily surprised to see how successful Woodhead is running the ball between the guards. One point apparent on television: not only is he tiny, but he has really tiny hands. His ability to hold onto the ball in traffic is impressive.

The whole no-turnover thing is really amazing. Some luck, but hopefully something that builds on itself. Protect the ball - don't be the first to turn it over.

I'm glad to see Page doing well at safety, and getting more time now that he is healthy. I thought this game was as bad for Meriweather as the last. He again blasted McCourty on a tackle - when the receiver was going down, he went over the receiver and dealt quite a blow to McCourty's shoulder. I assume this is it for Meriweather here, and would be happy to see Sanders, Chung, and Page get the majority of time in the playoffs.

On the two long receptions over Arrington - those were pretty impressive throws and catches. Long, well-positioned balls. If your plan is to hit that pinpoint pass 40 yards downfield, well good for you.

Eric Moore can rush the passer from OLB, and also play 3-4 DE? Really? And they got him off the street? Amazing.

Didn't notice Wendell out there. That's a good thing. Based on one game against a notably poor run-defending opponent, I would place him in at least Yates territory - able to step in for a game or two at guard. I wouldn't be happy to end the offseason with Connolly and Wendell at #1 and #2 at guard (if Mankins departs and Neal retires), but they are at least viable.

If Wright, Pryor, Brace, Warren can be full strength by Jan 15/16 weekend we're in amazing shape.

This is the story of the next three weeks, IMO. Wright's length of recovery from this concussion worries me a lot, not just for this year, but for his career.

That, and we need to have this virus run its course through the locker room by the end of this week so no one else will be weakened by it for the first playoff game.

Wilfork and Mayo are too weak to do the pregame warm ups but come back to play like they did? Amazing.

They were just running it down our throats at will on that first drive, have no idea why they even attempted to pass. Could of easily just kept running it right into the end-zone.

Also good that Fitzpatrick missed a wide open guy in the end-zone, guy broke free seconds after the ball was snapped, think everyone thought that was going to be a TD.

Alas, they settle for 3 and the game takes a completely different turn.

You thought this game was as bad for Meriweather as the last?

Really? I mean, come on. Really?

Personally I think the difference was that they altered their personnel groupings and stuck an extra linebacker on the field. Do you notice how many times TBC covered Steve Johnson in the flat? They were using a regular 3-4 base when they might otherwise have gone 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 nickel.

Bottom line is we have 3 weeks to get the other half of the DL out of the trainers room and on the field.

We are currently playing with a limited rotation and the snaps will start to take a toll on the few that are holding down the fort.

Last year in the playoffs, we played a wounded Wilfork and Warren and Baltimore ate our lunch on the ground.

We need better health at the DL position for this year's playoff run.

Gailey said this after the game.

"The first series we were out there they played nickel defense against our nickel offense," Bills coach Chan Gailey said. "And then when we went out there the second series with the same offense, they put all their big people out there. They basically were saying we're going to stop the run by putting those seven guys up in there. You've got to throw it to move the football. We couldn't throw it well enough, consistently, to move the football."

Bills' gift-giving plays into Patriots' hands - Bills & NFL - The Buffalo News

Question for all the Pats fans who have followed every game: Does anyone think the DL injury situation is like a poor-man's version of the DB injury situation in 2004 (e.g. Troy playing CB)?

This is the story of the next three weeks, IMO. Wright's length of recovery from this concussion worries me a lot, not just for this year, but for his career.

That, and we need to have this virus run its course through the locker room by the end of this week so no one else will be weakened by it for the first playoff game.

FWIW, (A) it was listed as concussion/neck, and (B) they could have (maybe should have, even) put him on IR, but they haven't.

Question for all the Pats fans who have followed every game: Does anyone think the DL injury situation is like a poor-man's version of the DB injury situation in 2004 (e.g. Troy playing CB)?

Slightly different. Ty Law and Tyronne Poole went down for the year mid-way through the year and kid-backups Asante and Randall Gay were now starters and Hank Poteat and Earthwind Moreland were signed off the couch and played in the nickel and dime packages. Hell I remember LB Don Davis starting a game a safety.

People forget how great Troy Brown played back there. Unbelievable. I still shake my head over that.

It was nutty.

FWIW, (A) it was listed as concussion/neck, and (B) they could have (maybe should have, even) put him on IR, but they haven't.

Yep. Which tells me BB thinks he has a shot at coming back.

They can always IR him in the playoffs.

Slightly different. Ty Law and Tyronne Poole went down for the year mid-way through the year and kid-backups Asante and Randall Gay were now starters and Hank Poteat and Earthwind Moreland were signed off the couch and played in the nickel and dime packages. Hell I remember LB Don Davis starting a game a safety.

People forget how great Troy Brown played back there. Unbelievable. I still shake my head over that.

It was nutty.

Oh yeah... I can't believe I forgot about Don Davis playing some safety! And I agree, Troy was definitely one of a kind. Really miss the guy.

What they are saying in Buffalo:

Confronted by a bully, the Bills run and hide - Jerry Sullivan - The Buffalo News
The defense has made some strides in the second half of the season but made a big step back Sunday. The Pats rushed for 163 yards in the first half alone. Two undrafted free agents, BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Danny Woodhead, looked like all-pros.

People talk about Kyle Williams as a Pro Bowler, but how can a nose tackle be taken seriously for the Pro Bowl on the 32nd-ranked run defense in the NFL? Of course, it would help if they had more capable linebackers, or if Whitner actually played like an elite strong safety.

When a team shows up with a top quarterback and a solid running game, the Bills' defense gets exposed. It's been that way for a decade. It happened in Minnesota, when an underachieving team with elite athletes crushed them. The Bills have made progress this season. But this was another reminder that, for all their resilience and charm, this team and this quarterback have clear limitations.

Chan Gailey showed his limitations, too. After the Bills ran the ball down the Pats' throats on the opening possession, Gailey used an empty backfield on their next series. He said it was because the Pats put a bigger defense on the field. Belichick dared him to run, and Gailey blinked. Somewhere, Vince Lombardi is grimacing.

Pats' backs go their merry way - Bills & NFL - The Buffalo News
"I think they've got good vision," Bills nose tackle Kyle Williams said. "They're good at finding the lane. When they get you up and running, they're good at finding the cutback lane or staying outside and running it out. With Woodhead, he can sneak back in there. He's tough to find."

Brady threw for only 140 yards, to go with three touchdowns. But Green-Ellis and Woodhead provided plenty of support.

"One thing [the Bills have] been struggling with is against the run," Brady said. "[Buffalo] was 32nd against the run, and we knew coming in that we needed to establish it, get things going on the ground, and possess the ball, and we sure did. And I think that takes a lot of pressure off the pass game, when you can hand it off all the times we did, and gain those yards."

Like most teams, the Bills geared up to defend Brady and the Patriots' high-powered passing attack. And why not, considering the high level at which Brady has been playing during his team's seven-game winning streak?

But the Bills should have known better. This is the same Patriots team that gashed Buffalo for 200 yards in a 38-30, Week Three victory. The Bills have now given up 200 rushing yards in a game seven times this year, one shy of the franchise record.

The Bills were caught off-guard by New England's approach. The Patriots often ran when the pass was expected and passed when Buffalo anticipated the run.

"They do a good job of breaking their tendencies," Williams said. "When you feel like you have a beat on them, they'll run plays out of different formations. And the slash plays, they just kill us. Those bounce plays, those wide zone plays just killed us today on the cutback."

Spiller says he hit a low point on Sunday - Bills & NFL - The Buffalo News
"I put my team in bad situations today," he said. "Coming off some good games, I really thought today, especially on special teams, that we could take advantage of them considering what happened the first time we played them. But we just didn't do it."

Spiller was part of a strong running game that helped the Bills get the early lead. He also was featured as a wide receiver and caught a 41-yard pass along the Patriots sideline in the first quarter. But he fumbled at the end of a five-yard run in the third quarter. After a Patriots fourth-quarter field goal, Spiller dropped the kickoff and was tackled at his 15-yard line after an 11-yard return. And his muffed punt with less than two minutes remaining allowed the Patriots to run out the clock.

Spiller said the tricky winds inside Ralph Wilson Stadium made it difficult to field kicks.

"It was tougher than I thought it was going to be," he said. "There were a lot of times I made the fair catch signal, but I didn't catch the ball because of how the wind was carrying it. The one that I dropped, it's no excuse for it. I really thought we had a good return set up. I just put it down. The saying is if it hits your hands you've got to catch it. It touched my fingertips, I just put it down and seen them recover it."

Spiller refused to say his miscues are part of being a rookie. But Sunday's game is one he'll learn from.

"I told him 'You're always going to be your toughest critic. You've just got to forget it and move on,'" Jackson said. "We still got all the faith in the world in him, and the most important thing is to reassure him. Sometimes, bad things happens. You've got to have a short-term memory and keep moving."

Patriots' Gronkowski overcomes early drops with two TDs - Bills & NFL - The Buffalo News
"He's made drastic improvement and works exceptionally hard every day," said Crumpler, who is serving as a mentor to Gronkowski and fellow rookie tight end Aaron Hernandez. "The young fella? I can't say enough good things about him. He can run block, he can catch, he can do it all. He's a good tight end."

"It was a lot of fun, being in front of my family especially because I've always wanted to play in front of them," he said. "I haven't played in front of my whole family like my mom and dad and my two brothers who could make it to the game. It was an awesome time."

Gronkowski provides evidence that the assembly-line mentality of the Patriots under coach Bill Belichick works. If a player like the underachieving Ben Watson doesn't pan out, New England drafts replacements like Gronkowski and Hernandez and everything keeps moving. New England won its eighth divisional title in 10 years Sunday and it doesn't take much for younger players such as Gronkowski to buy into the franchise's time-honored, winning philosophy.

"The rookies don't know anything so, really, what you tell them is what they believe," Brady said. "They don't look two weeks ahead, they're not smart enough or experienced enough to do that. It's like, 'Here's what you do,' and that's what they do. That's been the great part of having guys like Aaron and Rob and Devin [McCourty]. They just think this is the way it is. They listen to the veterans and they listen to the guys at their positions and listen to our coach."

Gronkowski's numbers are also proof of how the Patriots have gotten the tight ends more involved this season. Gronkowski and Hernandez, who didn't play on Sunday because of a hip injury, have combined for 81 catches and 15 TDs. Gronkowski has a team-high nine touchdown receptions.

"I think about when I was a rookie, how hard it was for me and to see Rob and what he's accomplished and to see Aaron and what he's accomplished it's so impressive because it's so hard," Brady said. "It's so hard to understand what it takes to be successful on this level. They're doing it and they have to keep doing it and they have a great role model in Alge at their position."

Gronkowski shook off an early miscue that would have rattled some rookies. On the Pats' first play from scrimmage, Gronkowski broke up the seam with linebacker Paul Posluszny in coverage. It was a sure touchdown. All he had to do was pull it in -- something he's done hundreds of times over the years -- and he scores against his hometown team. The ball was underthrown, and he dropped it.

"We didn't execute it all the way and that's what practice is for, we have to execute plays," he said. "We put that play in the past. It's just the first play of the game, there's 70 more plays in the game. That would have been awesome, but it didn't happen that way."

Meriweather played pretty well, as a guy people love to hate.

So did Mayo, dishing out the punishment on a couple of bone jarring hits over the middle. People don't "love to hate" Mayo, but they love to try to diminish his accomplishments. I'm sure that was a nice little wake up call for some.

Bills outplayed and outcoached - Bills & NFL - The Buffalo News
Grading the Bills

Running game: B

Had 64 yards on opening drive, then got cute and rushed for 61 the rest of the day. Jackson had 81 yards on 13 carries. It warranted more touches.

Passing game: F

Fitzpatrick went to pieces in matchup with Brady. Threw three interceptions and lost two fumbles. Gailey should have had mercy and put in Brohm.

Run defense: F

League's worst unit justified its ranking. Woodhead TD run similar to one in first meeting. Green-Ellis should send Christmas cards to Bills.

Pass defense: C-

Didn't allow wide receivers to hurt them down the field, but didn't bother to cover tight ends in red zone. Didn't get enough pressure on Brady.

Special teams: D

Return teams were ineffective. Average start after kickoff returns was own 24. Spiller fumbled away a punt. Moorman again shaky.

Coaching: D

Gailey allowed Belichick to spook him out of run game early. Edwards didn't learn from first meeting. Pats used same cutback runs.

Grading the Patriots

Running game: A+

Undrafted tandem was sensational. Green-Ellis ran for 104, Woodhead 93. Had 163 yards in first half alone.

Passing game: B+

Brady wasn't great, but didn't need to be. Tossed three TD passes to tight ends and set NFL record for most consecutive passes (319) without interception.

Run defense: C+

Got gashed on opening drive, but coaches went big and Bills backed down. Not often a team averages 6 yards a carry and scores only three.

Pass defense: A

Didn't play like a team ranked 30th in the league. Played aggressively and got three picks. When they weakened in coverage, Fitz misfired.

Special teams: A

Great day in coverage. Bills' average drive start on kickoff was 24-yard line. Mesko dropped three punts inside 20. Spiller fumbled one away late.

Coaching: A

Belichick accustomed to having his way in Buffalo. Dared Gailey to run against bigger front on game's second possession and Bills blinked.

Anatomy of a manhandling - Bills & NFL - The Buffalo News
First quarter: Green-Ellis rushed for 42 yards in the first quarter as the Pats took a 7-3 lead. His mother's name is Green, his father's is Ellis. His mom liked the name BenJarvus. Green-Ellis was an undrafted gem signed by the Pats in 2008. He was a little under the radar in college, transferring from Indiana after two years to Mississippi. But he became only the second Ole Miss back to rush for 1,000 yards two straight years.

Second-guess: The Bills rammed the ball down the Pats' throats on the first series, then stuck with the offensive script and spread them out on the second drive. It didn't work.

Second quarter: Mayo was all over the field in the first half, delivering big hits on Bills ball-carriers. He recovered a fumble late in the first quarter. He put a big lick on Stevie Johnson early in the second to force an incompletion on a third-down throw underneath the coverage. He put a big hit on Ryan Fitzpatrick on a blitz on the next series.

Bad timing: The Bills took themselves out of running situations on their best second quarter threat, trailing 14-3. Buffalo had first and 10 at the Pats' 30 but tackle Mansfield Wrotto took a 10-yard holding foul to negate a 17-yard gain. That drive stalled.

Third quarter: Giving it away

The Bills sent the home fans rushing to the exits with three turnovers in the third quarter.

Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick made the first one, throwing an interception on a short sideline pass for Stevie Johnson. Pats safety Jarrad Page picked it off in the flat to give New England the ball on the Buffalo 11. Three plays later, Tom Brady hit tight end Rob Gronkowski on an 8-yard pass for a touchdown to give the Patriots a 31-3 lead.

The Bills' next series ended on downs. The series after that ended when C.J. Spiller fumbled at the end of a 5-yard run around left tackle. Jerod Mayo forced it. Dane Fletcher recovered it. On the next series Fitzpatrick fumbled after a 14-yard scramble down the right side. Cornerback Devin McCourty forced it. Eric Moore recovered it.

Second-guess: Fitzpatrick got a little greedy on his scramble down the sideline, which ended in a fumble. It was a second-down play. He should be a little quicker to slide.

Fourth quarter: Got the T-shirt

Hail to the Patriots.

In the locker room after the game, the team handed out baseball caps and T-shirts that read 2010 AFC East champions to all the players and coaches.

It was the seventh division title for the Pats in the last eight seasons. It marked the 12th time in Robert Kraft's 17 years of ownership that the Patriots have made the playoffs.

"I don't know if the hat and T-shirt really mean anything, but we like to yell that we got a hat and T-shirt so we know we've accomplished something," said Pats guard Logan Mankins.

"Being able to come into the locker room and see that hat and T-shirt, that's just one of your goals," said Pats defensive tackle Vince Wilfork. "That's something to be proud of. All year we knew what we had in this locker room, we knew how special this team could be."

Snow kings: The Patriots are 12-0 in games played in snow under Bill Belichick. This was the third snow victory over Buffalo. The others were 35-7 in 2005 and 13-10 in 2000. In the last five games played in the snow, the Pats have outscored their opponents, 211-24.

Have the Pats made it home yet?

Or are they still enjoying the lovely Rochester NY area :)

Re: Have the Pats made it home yet?

Their plane landed at Green about 2pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back