PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots Draft (Day 1) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is gonna be mental, it could actually crash the server.

I've got nothing to support it other a gut feel, but I just have a feeling the Pats might be selecting twice tonight. I think the Pats will buck trends of recent years and actually trade up early in the draft this year. The word is that picks 15 to about 45 or so are rated about the same by many draft experts. Only two of the Pats' four picks are in that range. I could see Belichick moving one or both of his later 2nds to move up high in the second or late in the first.

Granted the first sign of the Apocalypse is me actually having one of my predraft predictions coming true. The next one of my predraft predictions coming true would be the first one of my predraft predictions coming true. So any of you gamblers out there, don't bet the farm on my word.

Last edited:
Re: The Official Patriots Draft (day 1) thread.

no he said that they wouldn't have to, they could just sit where they are and take him. He started off saying that we would take an offensive player and let people call in to take a guess at who it would be. He said that the pats wouldn't need to trade up, they could trade down cause many teams have taken bryant off their boards do to charecter issues but that BB hadn't.

Said while the pats need a pass rusher they could get one in the second round.

It's possible that if BB sees a huge offensive weapon for the taking at 22, he takes him.

He very well could be thinking pass rusher in round 2 and backup plan: trade for osi or haynesworth if no DE/OLB left is worth taking with his current pick.

I wouldn't be a fan of it, but I would be optomistic about it.

Not really. Our offensive line is getting old, has difficulty blocking good to elite defensive lines (especially on running downs) and the only prospect who's shown any promise thus far is Vollmer. I wouldn't mind adding Pouncey, Iupati, or Saffold, if we traded down, in the first.

:bricks:

It's posts like this one that make me question whether or not this fan base actually watches the games.

Last edited:
Not really. Our offensive line is getting old, has difficulty blocking good to elite defensive lines (especially on running downs) and the only prospect who's shown any promise thus far is Vollmer. I wouldn't mind adding Pouncey, Iupati, or Saffold, if we traded down, in the first.

Could be very telling if a OL is drafted in 1st round

-Team will be emphisizing the running game in 2010
-Team is not happy with the talent level or contract at the current spots
-Team is not optimistic with the Mankins contract negotiations

Can we all agree that BB would need to be drug tested if he went with offensive line in round one?

If there were PED's for drafting, I'd imagine 85% of the forum would chip in to buy Bill some.

Mike Holley says that the pats are drafting Dez Bryant, sounds sure about it. FTWW

The difference this year is that we don't have the #7 overall pick.
I trust Holley if he says the Pats want him and would take him (based on his Mayo pick in 08) But then you have to figure in that he would have to fall that far.
Feeling that nobody would take him in their slots, or that anybody drafting after us would trade up to grab him beofre #22.

My gut feeling?
That since Holley is well connected at Gillette, they may be using his successful call of Mayo and public knowledge of his connections, to feed him B.S. ( he might lso know he's feeding misinformation, but owes them one for the real news they've fed him)
This prognostication will surely be noticed by the media and therefore other teams.
In the case Bryant does fall.. then BB gets more aggressive trade offers from teams "knowing" he would take Bryant himself.

The mans a genius :D

Last edited:

The difference this year is that we don't have the #7 overall pick.
I trust Holley if he says the Pats want him and would take him (based on his Mayo pick in 08) But then you have to figure in that he would have to fall that far.
Feeling that nobody would take him in their slots, or that anybody drafting after us would trade up to grab him beofre #22.

My gut feeling?
That since Holley is well connected at Gillette, they may be using his successful call of Mayo and public knowledge of his connections, to feed him B.S. ( he might lso know he's feeding misinformation, but owes them one for the real news they've fed him)
This prognostication will surely be noticed by the media and therefore other teams.
In the case Bryant does fall.. then BB gets more aggressive trade offers from teams "knowing" he would take Bryant himself.

The mans a genius :D

I hope that he's wrong.

I still get the feeling Bryant is a red herring. Usually when a member of the media accurately breaks the player the Pats are targetting in the first round, they are usually a lone source (Holley with Mayo, Felger with Warren). This time around, it seems everyone is hearing that the Pats will take Bryant if he is available. Doesn't seem like a Belichick organization that everyone is talking to the media with people on their draft board.

The last time we had such consensus was last year when everyone was convinced the Pats would take Pat White in the second. They had a couple of opportunities and didn't.

I still get the feeling Bryant is a red herring. Usually when a member of the media accurately breaks the player the Pats are targetting in the first round, they are usually a lone source (Holley with Mayo, Felger with Warren). This time around, it seems everyone is hearing that the Pats will take Bryant if he is available. Doesn't seem like a Belichick organization that everyone is talking to the media with people on their draft board.

The last time we had such consensus was last year when everyone was convinced the Pats would take Pat White in the second. They had a couple of opportunities and didn't.

I agree. if Bryant is there BB takes him.

My spidey sense tells me that if that happens, it will trigger something else.

It would not suprise me in the least to see RM dealt for a 3rd round pick.

Last edited:
Can we all agree that BB would need to be drug tested if he went with offensive line in round one?

Absolutely. And I'm not sold on either Pouncey or Iupati.

Barf.

Hey --anyone at home watching NFL Network? Isn't there an interview with BB at 1? Do share! Here's an excerpt from a preview on the NESN site:

"When asked about his use of first-round selections to pick up players like Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork and Ty Warren, Belichick said 'there's a lot to be said for [building a team] inside-out and down the middle.' "

Hey --anyone at home watching NFL Network? Isn't there an interview with BB at 1? Do share! Here's an excerpt from a preview on the NESN site:

"When asked about his use of first-round selections to pick up players like Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork and Ty Warren, Belichick said 'there's a lot to be said for [building a team] inside-out and down the middle.' "

Have you not read my latest thread? I'm on my couch in basketball shorts with my home Brady jersey on glued to the NFL Network. Sean's War Room is being filled with NFL news on both my TV and computer while I'm YouTube-ing and reading up on prospects that should be of interest to the Patriots.

And no, they haven't done or previewed an interview with BB yet.

Last edited:
Have you not read my latest thread? I'm on my couch in basketball shorts with my home Brady jersey on glued to the NFL Network. Sean's War Room is being filled with NFL news on both my TV and computer while I'm YouTube-ing and reading up on prospects that should be of interest to the Patriots.

And no, they haven't done or previewed an interview with BB yet.

Jonathan Kraft was on Comcast last night and when asked about the Pats war room, he said that not many people where in the room, but when BB needed more info on a player, he would ask a runner to go out and get the coach/scout who has more info.

Could you be one of BB's SMEs? :D

Last edited:

Wouldn't be surprised if this was the typical Pat's smokescreen, forcing the Jets or Miami to jump on Dez and then they pick the guy they targeted all along.

I bow to the sensei! I'm trying to catch up between inexplicable bouts of work and obviously not keeping pace.

What's up with the hockey talk on EEI? Playoff hockey talk over draft talk? Puh-leeze! :)

Wouldn't be surprised if this was the typical Pat's smokescreen, forcing the Jets or Miami to jump on Dez and then they pick the guy they targeted all along.
I could by it as a smoke screen if it wasn't on LOCAL radio the day of the draft. I doubt other teams have staff listening to EEI for the latest Holly tid bit.

Michael Lombardi coming up on NFL Network about what he believes the Patriots strategy is going to be with our picks. No mention of a Belichick interview yet.

Zolak & Gresh are talking about Dez Bryant @ 22.
Zolak is on D.B. bandwagon even though he has character issues.
Zolak basically says D.B. is a guy who needs a guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back