PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots Draft (Day 1) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Official Patriots Draft (day 1) thread.

Wow.. let's see if he calls it like he called Mayo.

Thats what came to my mind, that he called the Mayo pick. Today he sounded like he'd put money on Bryant. Says that Moss could mentor him cause he was in the same position coming out of college. I.e. bad rep.

Last edited:
Odrick or a defensive back seems most likely. Graham will be long gone, and most are lukewarm about us picking Kindle or Witherspoon. Hughes is off the board since he chose condon as his agent (greshem too).

We could trade down a couple fo picks with Philly or even Dallas, but I suspect not. I expect that Dallas will trade up to 20 or below for Bryant.

Odrick or a defensive back seems most likely. Graham will be long gone, and most are lukewarm about us picking Kindle or Witherspoon. Hughes is off the board since he chose condon as his agent (greshem too).

We could trade down a couple fo picks with Philly or even Dallas, but I suspect not. I expect that Dallas will trade up to 20 or below for Bryant.

Dallas goes OT.

Thats what came to my mind, that he called the Mayo pick. Today he sounded like he'd put money on Bryant. Says that Moss could mentor him cause he was in the same position coming out of college. I.e. bad rep.

Did Holley say anything about trading up to get Bryant? I would assume that we'd have to do so, because I am not sure he falls that far, even with the rumors coming out (e.g., the diva act in St. Louis).

My guess is that Bryant and CJ Spiller are foremost on our radar, but they have been assigned certain values, beyond which we will not budge, in terms of how much we want to give up to get either of those.

Mike Holley says that the pats are drafting Dez Bryant, sounds sure about it. FTWW
Much better than another safety.

If he predicts Dez Bryant and it happens even if you don't like him you have to be excited. His ceiling is Fitzgerald/Moss and could help from day 1.

It's draft day and it's my birthday and it's Earth Day and here we go. I'm hoping the Pats come out with an impact player tonight, but if we can take advantage of another's team's drooling over a player and score more picks in the 2nd and 3rd, that's great too. I'll still enjoy my birthday dinner of lobster/garlic risotto and prosecco.

I took a look at some of the cornerstones of the Pats' Great Run, Pt 1 (1996-2007) and some pretty good players weren't first rounders:
-- Ted Johnson, 2nd round
-- Tedy Bruschi, 3rd
-- Lawyer Milloy, 2nd
-- Troy Brown, 8th (!)
-- Mike Vrabel, 3rd (Steelers)
-- Matt Light, 2nd
-- TFB, 6th (as you might have heard)
-- Rodney Harrison, 5th
-- Kevin Faulk, 2nd
-- Deion Branch, 2nd
-- Dan Koppen, 5th
-- Asante Samuel, 4th

And so on. Some first rounders like Seymour and Graham and McGinest were key too, obviously. And I know people can hit back with some Chad Jackson fails. But today's a day for optimism in my book. And my Saturday is basically freed up to do, you know, yard work.

Did Holley say anything about trading up to get Bryant? I would assume that we'd have to do so, because I am not sure he falls that far, even with the rumors coming out (e.g., the diva act in St. Louis).

My guess is that Bryant and CJ Spiller are foremost on our radar, but they have been assigned certain values, beyond which we will not budge, in terms of how much we want to give up to get either of those.

He thinks Bryant will be there at 22.

Here's an interesting tidbit for those playing the "what if" games:

MoveTheSticks: I've been told that Philly is likely to move up to Denver's spot tomorrow... lots of stuff floating out there right now
about 2 hours ago via TweetDeck

MoveTheSticks: I would be shocked if the Broncos ending up selecting at 11... I've had 4-5 different sources say they are bailing out of there
about 2 hours ago via TweetDeck

Per MoveTheSticks on Twitter: Broncos likely to trade back - Broncos Forums

If he predicts Dez Bryant and it happens even if you don't like him you have to be excited. His ceiling is Fitzgerald/Moss and could help from day 1.

I'd be excited. If that's who they're targeting, I'm betting they also have a plan to trade up if necessary, which it might well be.

no he said that they wouldn't have to, they could just sit where they are and take him. He started off saying that we would take an offensive player and let people call in to take a guess at who it would be. He said that the pats wouldn't need to trade up, they could trade down cause many teams have taken bryant off their boards do to charecter issues but that BB hadn't.

Said while the pats need a pass rusher they could get one in the second round.

Last edited:
I just have a gut feeling it is going to come out of left field again and be either Pouncey or Iupati and then one or two picks in the 2nd round. For some reason, Arrelious Benn sticks out there as a possible pick. I have seen him play many times and he is a very talented reciever. I think the 2nd pick will be a TE or a LB/DE who is not a "big name".

I just have a gut feeling it is going to come out of left field again and be either Pouncey or Iupati and then one or two picks in the 2nd round. For some reason, Arrelious Benn sticks out there as a possible pick. I have seen him play many times and he is a very talented reciever. I think the 2nd pick will be a TE or a LB/DE who is not a "big name".

Can we all agree that BB would need to be drug tested if he went with offensive line in round one?

I'm guessing that there will be a large number of quality drops in the first three rounds, with several highly rated players available at much lower slots in the draft. This would play into BB's hands as he just has to sit there and wait for the gold to drop into his slots. Dream mode off......

Don't mind Bryant at 22 but would still prefer a stud DE/OLB

I think the pats will come away with two picks in the first round by trading away one or two of their seconds to move back into the first round if a player they really like is still there.

Can we all agree that BB would need to be drug tested if he went with offensive line in round one?
You must not have seen the Saints/Dolphins/Ravens games.

Not really. Maurkice Pouncey would be a good pick.

You must not have seen the Saints/Dolphins/Ravens games.

I saw 17 games with much bigger issues at DE, OLB and ILB, just to point to 3 spots.

I saw 17 games with much bigger issues at DE, OLB and ILB, just to point to 3 spots.

I agree. The defense is painful to watch with no pass rush and watching them get picked apart. A pass rush helps the corners etc. and helps us to force more turnovers, score defensive touchdowns etc. However, whenever you think you know where this team is going in the draft, they usually go someplace else. I just have a strong feeling the pick is going to be an OLineman or another cornerback (BB has been searching every year for another Ty Law) and then at least 1 of the 2nd rounders will get traded for a future pick. I sure hope I am wrong and so does my wife so she doesn't have to hear my yell at the tv when the pick is made.

Not really. Our offensive line is getting old, has difficulty blocking good to elite defensive lines (especially on running downs) and the only prospect who's shown any promise thus far is Vollmer. I wouldn't mind adding Pouncey, Iupati, or Saffold, if we traded down, in the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News