PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots Draft (Day 1) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Official Patriots Draft (day 1) thread.

Just a gut feeling... I think the Pats use some of their 2011 picks to trade into the 2010 draft.

I think they LOVE this draft and see a ton of players that could help them. Next year... not so much.

I think this might happen as well, but on day 3.

Just a gut feeling... I think the Pats use some of their 2011 picks to trade into the 2010 draft.
Belichick has never done that before, ever. The guy obviously just doesn't believe in that.

I think they LOVE this draft and see a ton of players that could help them. Next year... not so much.

I'd be very suprised to see that. I don't think BB has ever traded a future pick for current pick... since the general sense is future picks are valued less, but I don't think they are in BB's mind. Hence the trades INTO future picks which he has done many times and ended up with higher picks. If he does like this year's draft as much as some are implying then maybe.

I wouldn't be suprised to see the 1st rounder traded down though as another poster intimated, since it is a deep draft.

Yes. I honestly believe he's the best 3-4 DE in the draft and should be fully capable of filling the hole at DE left by the trade of Seymour.

Agreed (after playing massive catch-up the last few weeks), but if Odrick and Bryant are gone, I wonder if trading becomes a reality. That would be the suck.

The two first rounders next year: That raiders pick COULD become a second this year, but with a likely rookie cap next year, that pick looks pretty awesome.

Agreed (after playing massive catch-up the last few weeks), but if Odrick and Bryant are gone, I wonder if trading becomes a reality. That would be the suck.

The two first rounders next year: That raiders pick COULD become a second this year, but with a likely rookie cap next year, that pick looks pretty awesome.

If that unfolds, I will slam my head repeatedly off of a desk. :eek:

If there was a rookie cap/ salery slotting why would want to trade away from the pick the reason most teams try to trade down is to lower the price if there is a cap/slotting you know what you are going to pay and the talent at that pick it's a waste keep the raiders are still going ot suck the you have more leverage next year

I believe there's been a thread posted in the Draft room (page one) that says trading out of the first round is EXTREMELY rare under Belichick. He's only done it four times in all of his years as a head coach and, on one of those occasions, only had to because the team gave up a first round pick to the Jets in order to get him as a head coach.

Incorrect - Belichick traded out of the first round ONCE IN NINE YEARS - That was last year
which shows you that he normally or 90% of the time takes a first rounder

The Patriots as an NFL Franchise spanning the past 40 years have traded out of the first round 3 times which includes last year.

Thats 3 times in 40 years or in terms of Belichick's tenure here thats 1 out of 9 years... anyway you look at it,thats extremely rare

If you go by previous drafts of this franchise whether its the past decade or 4 decades ago, then you can say its a 10% chance BB will go out of the first round - I wouldn't take those odds,deep draft or no deep draft

Last edited:

Mike Holley says that the pats are drafting Dez Bryant, sounds sure about it. FTWW

Last edited:

Mike Holley says that the pats are drafting Dez Bryant sounds sure about it. FTWW

would love to see it happen.

Mike Holley says that the pats are drafting Dez Bryant, sounds sure about it. FTWW

I'm hoping that happens

Incorrect - Belichick traded out of the first round ONCE IN NINE YEARS - That was last year
which shows you that he normally or 90% of the time takes a first rounder

The Patriots as an NFL Franchise spanning the past 40 years have traded out of the first round 3 times which includes last year.

Thats 3 times in 40 years or in terms of Belichick's tenure here thats 1 out of 9 years... anyway you look at it,thats extremely rare

If you go by previous drafts of this franchise whether its the past decade or 4 decades ago, then you can say its a 10% chance BB will go out of the first round - I wouldn't take those odds,deep draft or no deep draft

Yes. The bigger question is whether or not they are going to trade down from #22, not whether or not they will trade out of the first round.

If there was a rookie cap/ salery slotting why would want to trade away from the pick the reason most teams try to trade down is to lower the price if there is a cap/slotting you know what you are going to pay and the talent at that pick it's a waste keep the raiders are still going ot suck the you have more leverage next year

I think you misread me. I was saying it COULD happen, but likely wouldn't because of the cap making it an attractive pick to own next year.

Past experience leads me to believe that despite this team's obvious need of young playmakers, we will draft Maurkice Pouncey or Mike Iupati or slide back by trading the pick. My wife hates draft day because I always end up swearing at the tv when our picks come up and wondering aloud why we always keep worrying about next year when our team is becoming older and less productive every year. Just seems like every year recently, we continue to ignore our playmaker needs and fiddle around picking up future picks or making picks in areas where we are not exceptionally weak. The exception is when we were able to draft Mayo early and he is our best young player by far. This team needs a fast, athletic pass rusher (OLB or DE), a young stud WR, or even Jermaine Gresham in the 1st round and then needs to keep working to fulfill those needs by using all 3 picks in the 2nd round. Even a RB might be nice in round 2. This is the deepest draft in years and we need to stop the backslide that the Pats have been on and try to infuse the team with young talent in the next 2 days.

Agreed 100%, I have a bald spot because of all the head scratching I do during Bellichick drafts. I guarantee you he will have us scratching some more. His drafts the last 5 years or so have been sorely lacking. One Pro Bowler (Mankins) since the 2005 draft, I don't count Merriweather since he was an injury fill in. We trade down for quantity, instead of taking the quality that is available, kind of sick of it.

Yes. The bigger question is whether or not they are going to trade down from #22, not whether or not they will trade out of the first round.

I get what you mean,Although I can not see them going from #22 to #23-#32,I can't quite envision a scenerio trade with a team that would make that happen.

I still think the Pats either stand pat with thier picks as they are,or trade a second rounder or two to get back in the first somewhere - I really think the team won't take chances letting a guy slip past them between 23 and 43 if there are 2 guys they REALLY want and see that 44 might be a reach to get that second player they covet.

Last edited:
O just shutup Todd McShay........Trade UP for Tim Tebow, LMAO.

Wow.. let's see if he calls it like he called Mayo.

O just shutup Todd McShay........Trade UP for Tim Tebow, LMAO.

McShay has us picking up Gresham as our #1 pick :rolleyes:

That would not be the smartest move in the world,there are some decent TEs later in the draft like Pitta and a late rounder like Shuler.

If at 22 one of the following players is there; Kindle, Graham, Bryant, Hughes, Odrick ( math says that it's likely ONE will be there) and we pass on him, I will go absolutely ape****.

I have a vision;
@22:Kindle
@44:Alalau (spelling? Idk)
@47:Damian Williams
@53:Gronkowski

It's too perfect to happen; I'm trying to come to terms with it now.

MoLewisrocks just chugged some Scotch and is loading the revolver as we speak...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back