PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official "If this were the END of preseason, who stays, who goes, thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redskins QB roster: John Beck, Kellen Clemens, Ben Chappell, Rex Grossman, Matt Gutierrez.

Hoyer can be traded this year, talk about a mess at QB for the skins.

100% castoffs, not pretty.

But when we talk about trade value for Hoyer, it's worth remembering what he doesn't have: raw physical tools. Hoyer is just 6'2", not terribly fast or athletic, and has very average arm strength. His accuracy, poise and decision make make him an NFL quarterback, but he's not the kind of "upside" guy teams usually roll the dice on.

But when we talk about trade value for Brady, it's worth remembering what he doesn't have: raw physical tools. Brady is just 6'2", not terribly fast or athletic, and has very average arm strength. His accuracy, poise and decision make make him an NFL quarterback, but he's not the kind of "upside" guy teams usually roll the dice on.

fixed that for you

But when we talk about trade value for Hoyer, it's worth remembering what he doesn't have: raw physical tools. Hoyer is just 6'2", not terribly fast or athletic, and has very average arm strength. His accuracy, poise and decision make make him an NFL quarterback, but he's not the kind of "upside" guy teams usually roll the dice on.

Yes, People forget that Schaub, Kolb and Whitehurst have all kinds of measurables and were drafted in the 2-4th rounds.

Now if Hoyer plays like he did last night all through the pre-season and in a few meaningful regular season games, then everything changes.

I think you have misread my post a little. I am saying that Butler does not measure up to Arrington and Bodden. I never saw him horribly out of position, just always about a step or two off. He did have a number of tackles. This would indicate throws in his direction, so coverage not as tight as the opposite CB, but he was at least close enough to still tackle the guy. He did not impress and I wouldn't call his performance good, but to say he was horrible seems a bit of an exaggeration.

I agree with this assessment. It also helped that they had inferior QBs throwing to the receivers that he was covering. He was a step or two off all game.

Last edited:
fixed that for you

Tom Brady, 6'2"? Come now, any Pats fan should know that Brady stands 6'4.5".

But that's not the point. I'm not saying Hoyer can't be a good NFL quarterback, in fact I said he is. What I'm talking about is trade value for an unproven QB, and for that, raw materials matter.

Tom Brady, 6'2"? Come now, any Pats fan should know that Brady stands 6'4.5".

But that's not the point. I'm not saying Hoyer can't be a good NFL quarterback, in fact I said he is. What I'm talking about is trade value for an unproven QB, and for that, raw materials matter.

I wasn't going to change anything about that post except the names, just making a point about measurables not meaning much compared to intangibles.

I wasn't going to change anything about that post except the names, just making a point about measurables not meaning much compared to intangibles.

Yeah, I understand. But Brady's off-the-charts intangibles still let him slide to the 6th round, and Hoyer's didn't get him drafted at all. And when you're talking trade value for an unproven young NFL QB, it's a little bit like a 2nd draft. E.g. Kevin Kolb's strong arm and solid frame and athleticism made him a hot trade commodity, despite his lifetime QB rating of 73.

I'm thoroughly impressed with Hoyer, I just doubt that he's the kind of QB to make other GMs dream.

Last edited:
The Pats get an offer for Hoyer that they can't refuse when a team believes that a good, not great, QB is all they need to complete the puzzle. Then they'll make the inflacted offer that will make Pats' management consider taking the risk with just the rookie as a backup. It may or may not happen this year.

For anyone out of market, you can buy the NFL Network's pre-season package for $20 bucks. It's internet but I suppose those who are inclined can run the game through their flat screen at home. I went back and forth on whether or not to pull the trigger but it was worth it even if it is pre-season football.

Tonight's game was a superb time killer at work.

Can you provide me with a link? My cable provider, Charter, does not carry the NFL network and I've been looking to see if it was available online, but haven't had any success.

Based on one game:
Maneri at fourth OT over LeVoir.
Maneri looked very good in space in the running game. He made some great downfield blocks against truckdrivers and movers. Looked very athletic. He was a little bent back in pass protection.

Maneri can't pass block....I know I'm old but he looks like Todd Rucci when he pass blocks....a guaranteed 7 yard push into the backfield on every passing play...not that I think he's a complete stiff waste of DNA like Rucci was...if he can improve his pass blocking, he has great value to this unit...IF...

Last edited:

He's a "baller",imho......reminds me of early Phil Simms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back