PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official "If this were the END of preseason, who stays, who goes, thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andersen......see ya.....They're just gonna run draw after draw against this guy.He missed out on the "setting the edge" class:bricks:

I thought he showed up on the pass rush. Long shot but I could see him as a 3rd and long pass rusher much like we hoped Burgess was going to be.

Andersen......see ya.....They're just gonna run draw after draw against this guy.He missed out on the "setting the edge" class:bricks:

Yeah he's bad against the run but every time the Jags dropped back to pass he was there with a hurry and forced at least 2 (maybe 3) of those sacks that came because of his pressure from the edge.

Last edited:
Not much change for my list. Richard is now on the radar, but I'm not quite ready to add him to the list. I think I was hoping for something from Yeatman to make him stand out little more, didn't get that.

In can't recall Malcolm Williams doing anything, so it's hard for me to cross off Butler yet, as tempting as it is. Wilhite was never on my list, so no change there.

I'm curious. I didnt get the game on TV so I have to watch the replay tomorrow on NFL Network. Nice to have comments ahead of time to know what to watch for, but my curiousity is that I keep hearing Butler and Wilhite played in the second half and were bad, but the Jags completed 2 of 10 passes in the 2nd half and only 11 of 26 all day, with 3/13 3rd down conversions. How bad could any DBs have played?

I'll watch, but it seems to me that if Darius Butler allows a receiver to ever catch a pass on him, that is enough to say he sucked.

Not much change for my list. Richard is now on the radar, but I'm not quite ready to add him to the list. I think I was hoping for something from Yeatman to make him stand out little more, didn't get that.

In can't recall Malcolm Williams doing anything, so it's hard for me to cross off Butler yet, as tempting as it is. Wilhite was never on my list, so no change there.

I'm just keeping 4 CBs on my roster. I think in 2010 the Pats kept 4 CB most of the season. None of the CBs on the roster besides the locks seem worthy of a roster spot.

Yeah he's bad against but every time the Jags dropped back to pass he was there with a hurry and forced at least 2 (maybe 3) of those sacks came because of his pressure from the edge.
3rd down pass rusher is an important position, and run defense isn't really a requirement.
The added advantage is if the guy is only in for 2 and 10, 3rd and long and any 2 minute drills he will be very fresh all day.

If the CB isn't in position to make a play, and the ball is thrown poorly or dropped, that doesn't mean the CB did his job. It was also the first half, and on kick coverage.

I'm curious. I didnt get the game on TV so I have to watch the replay tomorrow on NFL Network. Nice to have comments ahead of time to know what to watch for, but my curiousity is that I keep hearing Butler and Wilhite played in the second half and were bad, but the Jags completed 2 of 10 passes in the 2nd half and only 11 of 26 all day, with 3/13 3rd down conversions. How bad could any DBs have played?

I'll watch, but it seems to me that if Darius Butler allows a receiver to ever catch a pass on him, that is enough to say he sucked.

Butler and Wilhite were around the vicinity but not nearly close enough to be considered tight coverage. Reason why the Jags had poor pass statistics was because either the receivers dropped the ball (which happened at least 3-4 times) and also their QBs missing open receivers.

I'm curious. I didnt get the game on TV so I have to watch the replay tomorrow on NFL Network.

seriously...you NEVER knew this?....just watch the game..it was fun...I made all kinds of regular season decisions watching it...:bricks:

I think you hit on the position of some of the posters on this board. Pat's give up a first down, they suck, pass completed against them - suck, lose a game, BB sucks, draft pick isn't all pro after rookie season - BB sucks, rookie sucks. Of course, the other team sucks, couldn't possibly be worthy of executing successful plays. They think this is college football - OU against the Little Sister of the Weak and Poor.

Butler and Wilhite were around the vicinity but not nearly close enough to be considered tight coverage. Reason why the Jags had poor pass statistics was because either the receivers dropped the ball (which happened at least 3-4 times) and also their QBs missing open receivers.
Come on. No matter the excuses you cant say corners played bad in a half of 2 completions. Thats just having a predetermined opinion and finding a way to fit it.
But, I'm speaking too much about this before watching

I think you hit on the position of some of the posters on this board. Pat's give up a first down, they suck, pass completed against them - suck, lose a game, BB sucks, draft pick isn't all pro after rookie season - BB sucks, rookie sucks. Of course, the other team sucks, couldn't possibly be worthy of executing successful plays. They think this is college football - OU against the Little Sister of the Weak and Poor.
Not just Patsfans, all fans.
Any OL who ever gives up a sack sucks.OC suck anytime a play fails.
Corners suck giving up any catches, when mysteriously the average starting WR is catching 4 to 5 passes a game.
That why you have to take commentary with a grain of salt, especially with the whipping boy players. Someone said Butler looked like Butler.

If the CB isn't in position to make a play, and the ball is thrown poorly or dropped, that doesn't mean the CB did his job. It was also the first half, and on kick coverage.
As I said, I didn't see the game yet, and was curious. Are yu saying the majority of the 9 1st half completions were against Butler?

Thank God we have three more Pre Season games. I would make a lot of mistakes if I were to make cuts after this game. I still think we need a stud pass rusher/OLB

I think people are just sick and tired of seeing Butler and Wilhite getting beat by allowing the receiver to make the catch and seemingly never able to make a play on the ball.

Fact, last years 3rd down D was atrocious and the pass D was awful. I think people are looking to see an improvement from these two any improvement and are getting nothing. I know I was dissappointed however, I am holding out hope that they show some level of improvement as the preseason progresses. If not then IMO, the Pats just need to move on from them if they can.

BTW, did anyone notice Terrence Wheatley playing DB for Jax?

As I said, I didn't see the game yet, and was curious. Are yu saying the majority of the 9 1st half completions were against Butler?
No, I did not say anything like that, you must have me confused with another poster.

Thank God we have three more Pre Season games. I would make a lot of mistakes if I were to make cuts after this game. I still think we need a stud pass rusher/OLB

I guess it's a good thing to have so much depth. I just wish the 53 man roster was expanded to 60 so Bill could keep more of these guys.

A stud pass rusher from this squad just might emerge when they have the rest of the Dline in there.

No, I did not say anything like that, you must have me confused with another poster.
When I said there were only 2 completions in the second half, you said 'it was also the first half'.
Of course you didn't say exactly what I said 'are you saying' because that phrase means 'by that do you mean'.
I'm just trying to understand what caused people to say Butler and Wilhite sucked in pass coverage when the other team was barely completing passes.

Dline got consistent pressure from what I saw (I was also watching a laggy online stream, and doing 10 other things at once). Also don't forget that the guys at end didn't have the benefit of VW and AH playing inside and they still looked pretty solid.

If nothing else, this game showed we have great depth, our 2's and 3's made JAX's 2's and 3's look like total garbage.

I think people are just sick and tired of seeing Butler and Wilhite getting beat by allowing the receiver to make the catch and seemingly never able to make a play on the ball.

Fact, last years 3rd down D was atrocious and the pass D was awful. I think people are looking to see an improvement from these two any improvement and are getting nothing. I know I was dissappointed however, I am holding out hope that they show some level of improvement as the preseason progresses. If not then IMO, the Pats just need to move on from them if they can.

BTW, did anyone notice Terrence Wheatley playing DB for Jax?
You may be right, and as I said, I still have to watch the game, but my impression from the discussion is that people are saying Butler sucked because before the game they thought he sucked, so he had to suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back