PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official "If this were the END of preseason, who stays, who goes, thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very underwhelming night from Edelman. He's going to have to do a lot better than that to make it on the final 53.

That said, I think he was one of the starters who left the game after a while. Given that he is their best PR, and can do at least a passable job at KR, I don't think he's in that much danger.

When I said there were only 2 completions in the second half, you said 'it was also the first half'.
Of course you didn't say exactly what I said 'are you saying' because that phrase means 'by that do you mean'.
I'm just trying to understand what caused people to say Butler and Wilhite sucked in pass coverage when the other team was barely completing passes.

The other team sucked. That's about the simplest say to put it. You could pretty much plant a few blueberry bushes on the field in place of wilhite and butler and they'd still only have completed two passes.

That's obviously a great exaggeration, but you get the point, right?

I do think it was Butler in on the play that led to the Farnham interception. Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong on that.

But overall, there were too many "Butler moments", regardless of whether they went for completions.

You may be right, and as I said, I still have to watch the game, but my impression from the discussion is that people are saying Butler sucked because before the game they thought he sucked, so he had to suck.

I watched the entire game..at one point in the game thread, the Jag QB completed a pass on 3rd down, Butler made the tackle short of the first and the thread exploded with "he saucks!!!! did you see that easy reception!!! he's the worst!! has to go!!!"...uh...he played it just like they teach it and did the job...some other plays he looked sloppy on...I can say that for just about any player that was in the game last night...it is what it is, some fans have made up their minds this kid is no good and nothing he does or can ever do will make any difference.Bodden and McCourty are the starting corners...Butler looks to be vying for the nickel..anything else is just hot air until BB decides who stays.

shark-helicopter.jpg

The other team sucked. That's about the simplest say to put it. You could pretty much plant a few blueberry bushes on the field in place of wilhite and butler and they'd still only have completed two passes.

That's obviously a great exaggeration, but you get the point, right?

I do think it was Butler in on the play that led to the Farnham interception. Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong on that.

But overall, there were too many "Butler moments", regardless of whether they went for completions.
Your "Butler moment" comment is exactly my point.
What is a Butler moment, and how can you say he sucked if there was no completion? Now we are going to say he played badly because the other team should have made plays against him?

I'll stop here and comment after I've watched, but so far I've learned people who don't like Butler didn't like the way he defended incomlete passes.

I watched the entire game..at one point in the game thread, the Jag QB completed a pass on 3rd down, Butler made the tackle short of the first and the thread exploded with "he saucks!!!! did you see that easy reception!!! he's the worst!! has to go!!!"...uh...he played it just like they teach it and did the job...some other plays he looked sloppy on...I can say that for just about any player that was in the game last night...it is what it is, some fans have made up their minds this kid is no good and nothing he does or can ever do will make any difference.Bodden and McCourty are the starting corners...Butler looks to be vying for the nickel..anything else is just hot air until BB decides who stays.
Thank you for actually discussing things that Butler actually did. I thought the was going to be a thread about Butler than didn't allow discussing what he actually did on the field, but rather what excuses could be made for the other team not beating him that would lead to the conclusion they should have, would have, and maybe did but no one saw.

I will watch him closely tomorrow night.

For anyone out of market, you can buy the NFL Network's pre-season package for $20 bucks. It's internet but I suppose those who are inclined can run the game through their flat screen at home. I went back and forth on whether or not to pull the trigger but it was worth it even if it is pre-season football.

Tonight's game was a superb time killer at work.

Last edited:
Gonna try to be as concise as possible:

Defense:
-Fletcher was terrific and solidified a roster spot if he hadnt already.
-Anderson is tricky to judge since he had some great plays on pass rushing downs but also some concerning ones on run plays.
-Chung was solid, although I hope they play him to his strengths and put him closer to the line eventually.
-Cunningham did good, not great. But is obviously still developing, anyone doubting his spot on the 53 is insane.
-Definitely need to watch Sergio Brown closer still dont even remember seeing him play.
-Interior DLine is still up in the air no matter who stood out tonight, there are too many injuries and new additions so after the top guys its a free-for-all as far as Im concerned. Dont understand the love for Love he seems severely unathletic for a NT.
-Butler and Wilhite didnt play great by any means. Doesnt really matter if the opponents arent completing passes, if the WRs are open like they were we will eventually get burned. That said I was hoping to see tighter coverage from Bodden too. Maybe it was the scheme. :confused:

Offense:
-Hoyer and Mallet were very solid and played better than expected. QB is without a doubt our strongest position. Lets hold off on trade talks for at least a year though. ;)
-Price was great, very athletic and impressive. Needs work on his judgement when returning though. Hoping we keep 6 WRs so we dont give up on Tate so soon.
-Back up OLine played great but it wasnt the stiffest competition... Solder is solid.
-Ridley is a beast, nuff said. :D
-Medlin and Farnham are not making the 53, dont buy into the hype.
-I just cant force myself to like Slater, hope hes not here come September.
-After all the talking about Lee and Yeatman they barely showed up tonight in 47 point beatdown. Not impressed, and in this crowded roster there better be a good reason if we carry 4 TEs.

-After all the talking about Lee and Yeatman they barely showed up tonight in 47 point beatdown. Not impressed, and in this crowded roster there better be a good reason if we carry 4 TEs.

Yeatman had a hell of a block on Ridley's one run, though. I'll see if I can get a video of that play up tomorrow, because everybody needs to rewatch it a few times:D

Meireweather, Bulter are out, Redley, Price, and Felcher are in

Meireweather, Bulter are out, Redley, Price, and Felcher are in

Why is Merriweather out? He had a solid game from what I saw for the most part.

Butler we already know about, but I'm glad you informed us that two of our 3rd round picks from 2010 and 2011 won't be cut, I was truly worried!

Is that a real pic??? :eek:

I would've punched that shark in the NOSE!! :D

Yeatman had a hell of a block on Ridley's one run, though.

I'll see if I can get a video of that play up tomorrow, because everybody needs to rewatch it a few times:D

Damned RIGHT, we do!! :rocker:

Yeatman is the REAL DEAL...as I've been saying since NAM!! :rocker:

Is that a real pic??? :eek:

I

I had to check for myself (pic of the century if it was). Unfortunately, the answer is no.

his photograph supposedly depicts a very large shark leaping out of the water to attack a crewmember suspended on a ladder beneath a Navy helicopter. However, the image is in fact a combination of two entirely unrelated photographs. Both the helicopter with dangling crewmember and the breaching shark are real photographs, but they were not taken at the same time or at the same location.

Shark Attacking Helicopter Photograph

Anderson has been brought in as a subs package pass rusher - the guy wouldn't have been cut if he could defend the run AND get after the QB.

If he makes the team I assume it'll be in situations where running plays (even draw plays) are unlikely.

There was a real energy to the pass rush last night - nit was nice to see the guys on the outisde looking to beat their man rather than engage him in a bull rush.

No doubt we'll need consistent pressure up the middle with this tactic - just like the Cohen sack.

Fletcher was excellent - but as others have mentioned he wasn't really a cut risk prior to the game in alot of peoples eyes.

Ohrnberger is someone who merits a closer look - I feel that the team have devoted alot of resources and time to making this guy the eventual replacement for Koppen.

Preseason or not Price is a keeper - he is flashing stuff that we all know instinctively make a real threat at this NFL level - speed, great hands and obviously has the route running side of things worked out.

Hernandez looks like even more of a match up nightmare for teams - with him and Gronk on the field teams are going to find it real difficult to lean towards run or pass in any situation.

Both QB's looked assured and showed great touch - i'll be honest and thought the whole trade value of Hoyer had been blown out of all proportion - but again - this guy passes the eyeball test - he looks at home on an NFL field.

It looked to me that Butler was playing consistently with a big cushion...it that was dictated by the scheme, I don't know.
He was consistently too far away from the WR in order to even make a play on the ball, so the only thing he could do was to tackle after the reception. As stated though, I don't know if this was a scheme or a skill-issue.
All in all I thought our coverage was inconsistent, at times very good, at times with big cushions where we were lucky that the pass was an incompletion, at times the receiver was wide open with nobody in the area. But I think overall it was acceptable for the first preseason game with McCourty missing.

Merriweather was awful twice on KR, not letting the play come to him, he overpursued and allowed Karim to break his huge KR...he absolutely need to stay more disciplined!

On the question on Wheatley...guess what, he was covering Slater when he made the great leaping catch...didn't notice him otherwise.

I fear for Brandon Tate, I really do. I wonder if they stick him on IR to save him for a year for when Branch/Ocho etc possibly go in a year?

They seem to really like Price - I think the fact that they want him returning kicks and punts even though he has looked shaky doing it shows you that they want him on their 45 man gameday roster and are trying to give him opportunities to do it because they can't carry a 4/5 WR on it without them playing ST, esp with us playing two TE sets a lot now. If Vereen comes back healthy soon or Price gets better at KORs then Tate could be the fall guy.

That's harsh on him because he showed a bit last year - he can get open deep even if he doesn't have the route tree down yet. That's why I think they will try to put him on IR. Not sure there will be much trade market for him?

Fletcher just showed what we all expected of him. He was in already.

The guy that i enjoyed watching the most was Price. He showed everything.

A difficult grab requiring body control, a tough catch over the middle, showed alot of explosiveness on a slant, broke a tackle and blasted down the sideline for a big gain,a nice return. Kid's a player.

I'm not sure how Tate can compete with Price now that he also isn't even practicing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back