PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The o-line, or lack there of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
They could always just leave Solder at RT where he was fine last year and move Vollmer back to LT where I thought he was pretty good 2 years ago.

They could always just leave Solder at RT where he was fine last year and move Vollmer back to LT where I thought he was pretty good 2 years ago.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that SeaBass' back etc. woes have likely left him incapable of playing LT
as well as he did 2 years ago.

We need 2 of Dennis, Hill, Kopa, Waldron, Warren & Weems to become at the least worthy of our PS,
preferably worthy of the 53 by this time next year.

Last edited:
Solder was a TE coming out of HIGHSCHOOL. Like MANY OTs, he moved from TE to OT in college after his freshman year. Trying to make it sound like a negative thing when it's not is pretty laughable.

Solder did extremely well last year playing both LT or RT as needed. . Or did you not bother to actually watch the games?

Solder has a lot of pressure on him now that Light is gone. And it could have been jitters last night.

Acting like he's garbage all of a sudden just shows your ability to over-react to a situation.

Seems my memory was off on the te thing, excuse me sir. This is a what have you done for me lately league. Solder looked awful against the gints, and seemed to have strength problems to me at times earlier last year. I never really was sold on him anyway.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

C'mon, Boys!!
jester.gif

I'm as concerned as anyone about the lack of Depth of Talent at O Tackle and O Guard...

But do you really think that Nate "Universal" Solder is about to implode on us??
jester.gif

It was one game.

He's young.

He's smart, he's strong, he's incredibly athletic...and he's motivated.

I believe that this Mad Panic about Nate "Universal" Solder will soon be utterly forgotten, and that those who're currently freaking out will be calling us liars when we call them on it!! :D

C'mon, Boys!!
jester.gif

I'm as concerned as anyone about the lack of Depth of Talent at O Tackle and O Guard...

But do you really think that Nate "Universal" Solder is about to implode on us??
jester.gif

It was one game.

He's young.

I believe that this Mad Panic about Nate "Universal" Solder will soon be utterly forgotten, and that those who're currently freaking out will be calling us liars when we call them on it!! :D

I didn't see the game, but I heard he looked horrible. I'll let it go and give him a bad game. He held up fine at RT at the point of attack last year. I just hope it doesn't become a new habit. What I'm most worried about at this point is A-Gap penetration without the opposing defense having to blitz in order to create that type of pressure, aka Brady's kryptonite.

Yeesh. Before camp, every significant publication and web site that rated O lines had the Pats in the top five, and at least one had it as #1. This was with a line that is still very possible, if not likely: Solder, Mankins, Connelly, Waters, Vollmer. And the depth was praised as well.

Nobody has a really good forth tackle, it just doesn't happen. When a team gets to that level in the depth chart, it is expected to decline.

In Schar I trust.

C'mon, Boys!!
jester.gif

jester.gif

It was one game.

He's young.

I didn't see the game, but I heard he looked horrible. I'll let it go and give him a bad game. He held up fine at RT at the point of attack last year. I just hope it doesn't become a new habit.

What I'm most worried about at this point is A-Gap penetration without the opposing defense having to blitz in order to create that type of pressure, aka Brady's kryptonite.

You and me both, Brother.
icon_mad.gif

It's no secret that I am a raging advocate of StockPiling High Grade Interior Linemen.

And High Grade O Guards come insanely cheap, despite their rich History of consistently producing a dramatic influence on the Championship Quest, over the years, time and time again.

1 ~ Jason Pinkston ~ for whom I was pounding the table ~ could've been stolen in the 5th Round in 2011.

2 ~ Senio Kelemete ~ for whom I was screeching ~ could've been stolen in the 5th Round this year.

And almost all I heard in March and April was how deep our O Guard ranks were. :rolleyes:

Rant over.
icon_redface.gif

And I agree: No QuarterBack deals well with an attack that comes right down the gut.

And that is an huge part of why the unlamented Dane Fletcher is a big loss. :mad:

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that SeaBass' back etc. woes have likely left him incapable of playing LT
as well as he did 2 years ago.

We need 2 of Dennis, Hill, Kopa, Waldron, Warren & Weems to become at the least worthy of our PS,
preferably worthy of the 53 by this time next year.

Don't forget Dennis, Hill, Waldron and Weems were available even with the rosters at 90, when the rosters go to 53 there will presumably be better talent available to be signed.

Maybe swing a trade with KC for a conditional pick to reacquire Steve Maneri who looked like a decent tackle for NE last training camp but is battling for the third TE job in KC.

I also noticed that Maneri is listed as a TE on KC's roster, according to Wiki. I don't know
if that bodes well for his future as an NFL OT.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if a couple of those in my aforementioned list were to carve themselves
an NFL career. All of them were, to one degree or another, fairly decently thought-of during the process
before the draft. At least one of them makes the 53, I'd wager.

You could also be very right that Bill plucks somebody from another team's cut-down list just before
Opening Day, maybe even somebody with multiple-year experience.

Don't forget Dennis, Hill, Waldron and Weems were available even with the rosters at 90, when the rosters go to 53 there will presumably be better talent available to be signed.

Maybe swing a trade with KC for a conditional pick to reacquire Steve Maneri who looked like a decent tackle for NE last training camp but is battling for the third TE job in KC.

Maneri's dropped something like 40 pounds, and he's playing well enough at TE to really challenge for a job in K.C..

Last edited:
Maneri's dropped something like 40 pounds, and he's playing well enough at TE to really challenge for a job in K.C..

Just a thought, he looked like he was a worthwhile project for the O-line. I guess KC would rather have him as a TE.

could be worse..we could have the jets o-line. they ******* suck

You and me both, Brother.
icon_mad.gif

It's no secret that I am a raging advocate of StockPiling High Grade Interior Linemen.

And High Grade O Guards come insanely cheap, despite their rich History of consistently producing a dramatic influence on the Championship Quest, over the years, time and time again.

1 ~ Jason Pinkston ~ for whom I was pounding the table ~ could've been stolen in the 5th Round in 2011.

2 ~ Senio Kelemete ~ for whom I was screeching ~ could've been stolen in the 5th Round this year.

And almost all I heard in March and April was how deep our O Guard ranks were. :rolleyes:

Rant over.
icon_redface.gif

And I agree: No QuarterBack deals well with an attack that comes right down the gut.

And that is an huge part of why the unlamented Dane Fletcher is a big loss. :mad:

Quarterbacks that are mobile and have the ability to flee the pocket can deal with it, like Aaron Rodgers. Brady is a pure pocket passer and is the best in the NFL at what he does and, while his footwork is second to none, he's not particularly mobile. That's why it's so important to put quality interior OL in front of him. It's also the reason why many of us (you included) are praying for the healthy returns of one Logan Mankins and one Brian Waters.

I wonder if BB is going to call Waters and say something like

"Brian, did you see the game last night?"

"Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Come back a couple days earlier than we'd planned. See you soon."

I was thinking and hoping the same thing. Mr. Waters, your country needs you.

I was thinking and hoping the same thing. Mr. Waters, your country needs you.

Better still, give Matt Light a huge raise and entice him to return.
Then, play Solder at right tackle.

Yeesh. Before camp, every significant publication and web site that rated O lines had the Pats in the top five, and at least one had it as #1. This was with a line that is still very possible, if not likely: Solder, Mankins, Connelly, Waters, Vollmer. And the depth was praised as well.

Nobody has a really good forth tackle, it just doesn't happen. When a team gets to that level in the depth chart, it is expected to decline.

In Schar I trust.

If Mankins and Vollmer are healthy, the Pats have an excellent o-line. If not... then they don't. To be fair, though, there isn't a team in the NFL that could lose two of its top three linemen and not experience this kind of effect.

Hopefully Solder improves a lot before the season starts. Reiss's notes from camp also pointed to Solder struggling and it showed up in the first preseason game.

If Mankins and Vollmer are healthy, the Pats have an excellent o-line. If not... then they don't. To be fair, though, there isn't a team in the NFL that could lose two of its top three linemen and not experience this kind of effect.

I think if we can get 2 out of 3 (Mankins, Waters, Vollmer) back then we are just fine.

Until that happens we can expect some inconsistency and learning process.

Better still, give Matt Light a huge raise and entice him to return.
Then, play Solder at right tackle.

I'd be all for that but I wonder how much it would take to get Light back, and how long it would take him to get in football shape.

Light says he's done. Don't get your hopes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back