PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The o-line, or lack there of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better still, give Matt Light a huge raise and entice him to return.
Then, play Solder at right tackle.

God.....Please make the pounding in my head,stop:eek:

Last edited:
Watching the game now. Solder, I take it back. He is going to be fine. Seems more of a technique problem, and scar will fix that. He seems much stronger than last year, just as quick. Now he needs to bring it all together. Thomas looked great. Koppen, not so much. Methinks he is done. If anything, I think cannon looked worse than solder (just started second half, holy ****, vereen!). Still worried about depth at tackle as I don't trust Vollmer to stay on the field (if and when he gets there).

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
They are bringing in Chad Clifton for a visit. Should we assume thats the vet depth that went away with Gallery or is it a upgrade for Solder?

They are bringing in Chad Clifton for a visit. Should we assume thats the vet depth that went away with Gallery or is it a upgrade for Solder?

The former, not the latter.

Solder is not going to be replaced.

From Field Yates:

McDonald all over the line. We know how much the Patriots love versatility, and offensive linemen Nick McDonald is showing that to be a strong suit of his. We saw him work at right and left tackle as well as center during the preseason opener, and at both guard spots during today's practice. That's positional flexibility defined.

Camp Observations: Day 18 - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I can't get enough of McDonald. He'll end up being a better and more versatile version of Connolly.

once waters comes back now that mankins is back..we will be fine..but we do need depth

once waters comes back now that mankins is back..we will be fine..but we do need depth

The guys who were struggling as a starting group should be ok as individual subs.

cutdowns are in 2 weeks -- that's about 1k players to sift through.
although, tackle is a tough position to dumpster dive on, I'd imagine.

maybe some older guy with a fat contract getting pushed out by a younger guy.

cutdowns are in 2 weeks -- that's about 1k players to sift through.
although, tackle is a tough position to dumpster dive on, I'd imagine.

maybe some older guy with a fat contract getting pushed out by a younger guy.

Someone will be added to the mix, at least one would imagine that they'd look pretty hard into it. The problem could also solve itself pretty quickly if 2 of the 3 (Waters, Vollmer, Mankins) were able to go fully healthy.

We still have Connelly (who some are now ironically projecting for the backup role as they see a possibility of Wendell unseating him at starting center), Thomas, maybe Cannon depending upon Vollmer's health, and McDonald--who can really play inside or out, all as backups.

There's still an outside shot of Koppen making the team too, although those chances are probably getting slimmer by the minute.

As Deus pointed out, the problem players/areas will likely be lessened as the individuals come in to an otherwise solid line. It's seeing them all together that is contributing to the problem right now.

Last edited:
Solder struggled at times with Will Smith.

In a related story, Jermon Bushrod, the man that protected Drew Brees' blindside while he passed for an NFL record amount of yards last season, looked pretty awful at times against rookie Chandler Jones.

Should Saints fan be in a panic now?

Dont really think either team has reason to even come close to panic,lol. In the end a lot of positive things came from that game.

Solder and cannon where liabilities out there, but the NE OL is kind of patchwork right now, and the ending product will be completely different.
I believe even if the same guys are fielded in your 1st game.
Reason I say that is failure is the mother of invention. I am sure both guys learned something. If people remember Bushrod made a ton of mistakes in 2009 when he replaced what was considered one of the best LT in football, Brown. Plus smith is just full of rage from the suspension.
I like Solder, but Im going to leave it up to your OLC, hes pretty frinkin good at evaluating mindset, and potential.

I think the real positive thing is that the NE offense and OL saw a clone Giants like type defense, and now has a second tape of a different team pulling the same strategy defensively, and again being marginally successful in slowing them down. I say that because its only 1 QT with the 1st teams. No clue about 4 QTs.
To me this is tape gold for the OL and NE offense to go over, and I have rarely seen BB squander opportunities like this.
Im expecting a gradual improvement against the eagles. Who somewhat use the same Giants philosophy that spags put in place.

Our positive is that Bushrod learns quick, but its obvious he never expected Chandlers in game motor. We have a couple of good pass rushers on that side including Ware this year. So a slap to the ego never hurt anyone.

Also a plus is that Sprags defense of a power 4, Giants type, defense seems to be working for us.
Cam Jordan, Martez Wilson, Ellis, smith, Brodrick Bunkley, junior galette, Marquis Johnson, Akiem Hicks, and Lofton have created a promising pass rush.
Granted your not going to have any true stability with out the secondary, but Greer, Robinson, and etc.. are just not playing right now, because of injures or other reasons.

New Orleans Saints First Team Play by Play Analysis in New England Patriots game

All and all I think we both learned some real positives from working together and the preseason game. I even saw Vitt talking to BB a lot. So maybe that will help our coaching problems this year.
Im looking to the Eagles pre game for you guys. I think thats a test of marginal improvement on the OL. Because some of these guys like Cannon might be in the roster as a backup, and the kid has to get it.
As much as we both have enjoyed a certain OL supremacy is the same feeling when a pass from Brady or Brees sails by 3 ft. We are dumbfounded and looking in disbelief. Both our OL's are fine theirs no game for 3-4 weeks. Respectfully saying.

Last edited:
Perhaps he will better than Connolly, perhaps not. Perhaps another Wendell or Hochstein seems a more reasonable hope.

We are looking at the team without Mankins or Waters. I expect our interior starters to be Mankins, Connolly and Waters. Wendell seems the capable backup center who can start. MacDonald may be competing with Thomas for a roster spot. My preference is Thomas. Thomas might be competing with Cannon for the starting spot at RG in 2013.

From Field Yates:

Camp Observations: Day 18 - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I can't get enough of McDonald. He'll end up being a better and more versatile version of Connolly.

Last edited:
I expect our interior starters to be Mankins, Connolly and Waters.

I'm not sure that we are getting any kind of clear cut vibes as to where Connelly may play yet.

The current thinking from some (Reiss, Bedard, own own Sciz) is that Wendell may be the man at center. He's certainly pushing pretty hard for it.

FWIW--Bedard had the following important breakdown in regards to the Koppen/Connelly topic today: (again, only one man's opinion)

"Don’t call it a comeback . . . Veteran C Dan Koppen, who at times has had a very rough camp coming back from leg surgery, finally started to look more like his old self when he won all three of his one-on-one matchups. Connolly had won just one of his last 11 reps coming in. Koppen also looked better in team drills. His heavy hands are better, and he’s moving well. Don’t count him out yet."

In my opinion, this has been one of the best battles in camp so far, with all 3 of Koppen, Connelly, and Wendell looking the part as a starting center at times. It will likely go down to the wire, although I'm starting to regret my initial assumption that Koppen would be the center (due to Connelly likely playing guard). I didn't expect such poor play from him initially, and his lack of versatility will likely make him the odd man out, depending of course on many other variables.

EDIT: I am assuming that the underlined part is a misprint? I am guessing that he meant that "Koppen had only won 1 of his last 11 reps coming in," instead of Connelly.

Last edited:
Many of the positional battles and personal player situations include:

--the progression (or lack) from Thomas and McDonald, although I certainly see McDonald as having a clear edge due to his versatility

--the situation of Waters. While most of us expect him to come back, there is obviously some question to that answer. I was surprised to see some of the 'regulars' in the comments section over at ESPN feel as though he is done

--Vollmer's injury, and whether or not they feel he will be able to go soon or start on PUP

--Solder, and any talk of possibly moving him back to RT instead of LT (which I don't think is going to happen, but I did figure that I'd include it anyways)

--Cannon...and his struggles at tackle. It is becoming a possibility that Belichick may not see him as a starter at the position. He is losing many battles, mostly due to not being able to handle strength

--Connelly, and where he fits in. He could be anywhere from the starting center or guard, all the way down to a second string interior lineman depending upon his TC and other factors

--Wendell, see Connelly above. Is Wendell a starter, or just a backup? At this point is certainly appears as though he will likely make the squad

--Koppen...will he even make the team? He has a lack of versatility, but has proven to have a good rapport with Brady and the offensive line calls. The other situations and roster spots (will they keep 9 or 10?) may certainly factor into his situation too, along with many of the other players on the line and their statuses

I wouldn't want to see MacDonald starting at guard, but perhaps that is just me.

There is lots of competition at OG. IMHO, we're fine, even if Waters retires. Connelly would start at RG.

At OT, we have Solder, Vollmer and Cannon. All have some question marks associated with them. Some think that the only reason Cannon is an OT is because there is an open roster spot there. Most think that he is really an RG. Perhaps we'll see Vollmer soon, perhaps not.
We have a center play OT in practice and we call it flexibility. We need to bring in at least one OT. We'll certainly be scouring the waiver wire. Some simply say that Scar will work it out. Perhaps he can help Vollmer with his rehab.

Many of the positional battles and personal player situations include:

--the progression (or lack) from Thomas and McDonald, although I certainly see McDonald as having a clear edge due to his versatility

--the situation of Waters. While most of us expect him to come back, there is obviously some question to that answer. I was surprised to see some of the 'regulars' in the comments section over at ESPN feel as though he is done

--Vollmer's injury, and whether or not they feel he will be able to go soon or start on PUP

--Solder, and any talk of possibly moving him back to RT instead of LT (which I don't think is going to happen, but I did figure that I'd include it anyways)

--Cannon...and his struggles at tackle. It is becoming a possibility that Belichick may not see him as a starter at the position. He is losing many battles, mostly due to not being able to handle strength

--Connelly, and where he fits in. He could be anywhere from the starting center or guard, all the way down to a second string interior lineman depending upon his TC and other factors

--Wendell, see Connelly above. Is Wendell a starter, or just a backup? At this point is certainly appears as though he will likely make the squad

--Koppen...will he even make the team? He has a lack of versatility, but has proven to have a good rapport with Brady and the offensive line calls. The other situations and roster spots (will they keep 9 or 10?) may certainly factor into his situation too, along with many of the other players on the line and their statuses

Last edited:
Some think that the only reason Cannon is an OT is because there is an open roster spot there. Most think that he is really an RG.

Count me in the group that felt that he was likely placed at OT due to the roster bunchup at the interior position. Apparently, Belichick feels differently though, as he stated that Cannon's abilities are best suited for an OT (at Monday's presser).

Either way, I will admit that I would like to see a tackle brought in, as I don't feel comfortable with Cannon at RT (unless they feel that Vollmer will be back sooner rather than later).

Maybe Vollmer and Solder have just spoiled us at RT over the past few years. As I recall, Nick Kaczur didn't have the quickest feet either, and the Pats did alright with him at RT. I'll admit that that worried me less when Brady was 30, though.

Last edited:
Maybe Vollmer and Solder have just spoiled us at RT over the past few years. As I recall, Nick Kaczur didn't have the quickest feet either, and the Pats did alright with him at RT. I'll admit that that worried me less when Brady was 30, though.

Certainly a very valid point..something to think about.

The Pats did pretty well with him until he was getting blown by like a 600 pound man in a foot race against Usain Bolt in Super Bowl XLII. :(

can we start running for the exits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick