PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The o-line, or lack there of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dump Cannon and Koppen and things will suddenly improve.

Dump Cannon and Koppen and things will suddenly improve.
Alternatively Koppen can be used as a back up and Cannon can be put at RG as a developmental talent (where he should be playing).

Last edited:
Alternatively Koppen can be used as a back up and Cannon can be put at RG as a developmental talent (where he should be playing).

Strangely enough, I'm honestly still not 100% convinced that Koppen won't make the team.

When it comes to backups, he may still offer more than trying to bring someone in from the outside.

BB will have to make that decision, and the general consensus is that he will be gone--but I'm interested in seeing his final opinion.

I certainly agree with you that Cannon is a developmental player and far from being a starter, no matter where Belichick views his fit.

you want to "dump" a second year guard in his first training camp because he looks bad filling in at RT?

Marcus Cannon is not the answer at offensive tackle.

Strangely enough, I'm honestly still not 100% convinced that Koppen won't make the team.

When it comes to backups, he may still offer more than trying to bring someone in from the outside.

BB will have to make that decision, and the general consensus is that he will be gone--but I'm interested in seeing his final opinion.
I'm not saying Koppen will make the team either supa. He's one of the interesting Patriots who I have on the bubble at present. In regards to Cannon, he's a 2-3 year project (at least) given his cancer battle. Strength for a lineman is paramount, something he sorely lacks.

Last edited:
In regards to Cannon, he's a 2-3 year project (at least) given his cancer battle. Strength for a lineman is paramount, something he sorely lacks.
Marcus Cannon lacks lateral agility to be an effective offensive tackle in the NFL.

I'm not saying Koppen will make the team either supa. He's one of the interesting Patriots who I have on the bubble at present. In regards to Cannon, he's a 2-3 year project (at least) given his cancer battle. Strength for a lineman is paramount, something he sorely lacks.

No, I know that you aren't insinuating that. If anything, I may be ;)

I still have Koppen as a bubble player myself, even despite the popular consensus that he will certainly be cut.

I'm thinking that Belichick may see things a bit differently than most of us, and he may have seen Koppen making some progress from his early struggles in TC. That, and the fact that he may offer more as a backup than someone else may assure him of one last season here--albeit mostly as an inactive.

Marcus Cannon lacks lateral agility to be an effective offensive tackle in the NFL.

While about 99% of the fans likely agree with you, Belichick's comments are very contradictory to our popular beliefs.

It's possible that this camp will change his mind, or maybe we'll continue to see him as a developmental tackle down the line.

Either way, I'm hoping we don't have to see too much of him.

While about 99% of the fans likely agree with you, Belichick's comments are very contradictory to our popular beliefs.
I watched the game tonight and that does not change my opinion contrary to Bill Belichick's previous statements.

Every yr it's the same thing around this time, the OL will have problems but they always prove everyone wrong. Every yr since 2007 I've read the same thing here and on all the local sites. It's hard to gauge exactly what every player is supposed to be doing with all the moving parts. I see the unit coming together and being ok as usual.

I watched the game tonight and that does not change my opinion contrary to Bill Belichick's previous statements.

I'm going to be honest, I cannot personally tell if it's more of his needing developmental work for another year or two, or it's more of being out of position; although I would lean towards being out of position myself.

That said, maybe it's just Belichick's comments multiple times that have me second guessing myself. It will be interesting to see what kind of choice the coach(es) make.

I wasn't proposing that Cannon should be developed as a Tackle.

I wasn't proposing that Cannon should be developed as a Tackle.
Based on performances to date, I agree that Marcus Cannon looks better suited at offensive guard than offensive tackle.

I'd rather have Koppen than Wendell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents