PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The o-line, or lack there of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone still want to tell me I'm panicking for nothing? Didn't get to watch, but it sounds like solder picked up right where he left off (go watch the last few drives of the sb, he was busy getting his turnstile on). For the live of god, throw waters an extra half mil just for the sake of helping Brady make it through preseason...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Anyone still want to tell me I'm panicking for nothing? Didn't get to watch, but it sounds like solder picked up right where he left off (go watch the last few drives of the sb, he was busy getting his turnstile on). For the live of god, throw waters an extra half mil just for the sake of helping Brady make it through preseason...

Did Mankins, Vollmer and Waters all file their retirement papers without anyone noticing?

I was at the game and the 1st team line missed assignments it looked like almost every passing play...that call on Solder looked pretty bogus in person on the pass to Lloyd...it's way too early to be making sweeping assessments of this unit..especially missing key components...one thing I did notice...Koppen looks weak.. I don't think he trusts the ankle yet...or he could be cooked...I'm not astute enough to make that evaluation.

I was at the game and the 1st team line missed assignments it looked like almost every passing play...that call on Solder looked pretty bogus in person on the pass to Lloyd...it's way too early to be making sweeping assessments of this unit..especially missing key components...one thing I did notice...Koppen looks weak.. I don't think he trusts the ankle yet...or he could be cooked...I'm not astute enough to make that evaluation.

Solder had one hand in front and one hand in back. That hold call will get made 99 times out of 100.

Did Mankins, Vollmer and Waters all file their retirement papers without anyone noticing?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't trust Vollmer to feet healthy or stay healthy. Back injuries can be devastating, and ol isn't exactly easy on the back.

Think I touched on waters.

Mankins is a question mark.

Regardless, injuries happen. What disasters will unfold if Vollmer doesn't get healthy and solder/cannon go down?
Sounds like solder looked awful, I didn't see the game though.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't trust Vollmer to feet healthy or stay healthy. Back injuries can be devastating, and ol isn't exactly easy on the back.

Regardless, injuries happen. What disasters will unfold if Vollmer doesn't get healthy and solder/cannon go down?

You're still panicking for nothing, which is what you wanted to hear.

Also, don't forget that the Patriots were playing their first exhibition of the season, and hadn't worked out any issues. The Saints, on the other hand, had already played one game and been able to see things to work on. That gave the Saints a huge advantage going into the game.

Last edited:

I think a lot of fans may appreciate how good Matt Light was even though he took a lot of crap some weeks. Im sure BB has a plan, preseason is to see what you got and what guys can do and what they have to work on, Ill worry if they're still down those three guys and the line plays like tonight on week 1, until then Ill assume BB is planning a way to shore things up.

BTW, whats wrong with Vollmers feet?

Last edited:

Solder struggled at times with Will Smith.

In a related story, Jermon Bushrod, the man that protected Drew Brees' blindside while he passed for an NFL record amount of yards last season, looked pretty awful at times against rookie Chandler Jones.

Should Saints fan be in a panic now?

Solder had one hand in front and one hand in back. That hold call will get made 99 times out of 100.

obviously you got to see it on the screen, so thanks for the heads up...to tell the truth I was watching Brady scan the field and then hit Lloyd in stride...and then you see the flag and the whole stadium is deflated

Anyone who follows Karen Guregian's writing and reporting with the Herald knows she's an excellent writer and generally pretty level-headed, but I thought this article was pretty telling about the state of their offensive line following last night's game:

Injuries up front put Tom Brady in harm’s way - BostonHerald.com

I'll admit I'm hopeful by the time the season gets here that we see some improvement injury-wise. It's one game and there are a lot of weeks to go before the regular season, but let's just say there's no where to go but up :bricks:

Anyone who follows Karen Guregian's writing and reporting with the Herald knows she's an excellent writer and generally pretty level-headed, but I thought this article was pretty telling about the state of their offensive line following last night's game:

Injuries up front put Tom Brady in harm’s way - BostonHerald.com

I'll admit I'm hopeful by the time the season gets here that we see some improvement injury-wise. It's one game and there are a lot of weeks to go before the regular season, but let's just say there's no where to go but up :bricks:

Have faith in Scar to figure it out. They say Mudd's the best but I disagree. He'll get this figuerd out provided injuries don't completely decimate us. One pre-season game isn't time to throw out an emergency flare in the middle of the ocean.

We have talent, we just need to get it out on the field. If we can get this OL healthy we will rival any in the league. Waters, Mankins and Vollmer all need to get back.

I've seen Light get his lunch money taken in pre and early on in regular season prior to last year. He wasn't very good out of the gate in particular the last couple of years. Bedard seems to think Solder is the real deal, and I get the sense he's getting that insight from someone who should know. A lot of OL performance is predicated on gelling as a unit, and these guys have been pasting and patching since camp opened. Koppen was so bad - including a muffed snap - Bill pulled him after that first series and inserted Connolly which meant another backup guard had to rotate in, then made Koppen play center in the third and fourth quarter with the end of the roster guys. Solder lost his one on ones on technique, and I'm sure Dante will drill him on that. Fact is they have to get Waters to man up and unless they are really sure at least one of Vollmer or Mankins will be ready in three weeks they may have to rethink their approach. It all starts and potentially ends in the trenches.

Solder struggled at times with Will Smith.

In a related story, Jermon Bushrod, the man that protected Drew Brees' blindside while he passed for an NFL record amount of yards last season, looked pretty awful at times against rookie Chandler Jones.

Should Saints fan be in a panic now?

After scoring a heart-racing 6 points I should think not. Lights out if it was 1912. Time to bust out the leather helmuts!

Last edited:
I really don't care about the OL right now with so many pieces missing. The only thing that worried me was Solder.

Time to bring back Wesley Britt and Ryan O'Callaghan.

Dear Matt.

Hows retirement?

:bricks:

Koppens gone or he should be

Solder looked really bad in his technique. When he moved he looked out of form. I think that it is clear we probably need to draft a guard next year. I think the line stunk yesterday but I will not panick just get, lets give it atleast one more pre-season game.

I only saw the plays that the NY media chose to show on the late news, and you can be sure that the hit on Brady was one of them. I know he's taken far worse in his career, but I must admit I still winced. I hope that those who are optimistic about the O-Line are right, as I really want to see TB playing at 40.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey