PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The NFL Loves Denver!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatch62

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I do not think the NFL cheated to help the Broncos beat the Pats last year in the play-offs but I do think that Denver gets preferential treatment by the league.

Last year the NFL made the Broncos forfeit their #3 round pick as a penalty for salary cap violations. The league needed to investigate and dig to prove that the Broncos cheated and all they did was take a 3rd round pick. Back in 2000, the Steelers came forward and admitted that made a mistake with the cap and went over. They turned themselves in and were made to forfeit their 3rd round pick. One team steps up and admits the mistake and another needs to be caught and they get the same punishment? What is that?

To make matters worse, the league awarded the Broncos 2 compensatory picks in the 3rd round last year. So the lose a 3rd rounder and get 2 more back. I now the Comp picks are based on free agents lost but come on. One of the picks the Broncos got was for losing DE Berry to the Cards. So it looks like his season would warrant a 3rd round pick. I guess not because this year contradicts that thought.

This year, Denver gets a 4th rounder (130) for losing DE Reggie Haywood to the Jags while the Eagles get a 5th (168) for losing DE Burgess to the Raiders. Now I know that the compensation is based on the player’s performance, contract signed and playing time earned but this looks a little weird based on the numbers. Here are the numbers for the three DE (includes Berry for the 2004 season). You tell me if this seems right

Player Old Team New Team Stats with new team (first season) Comp
Berry Denver Arizona 16 G / 49 tkl / 14.5 sacks / 4 FF 3rd round
Haywood Denver Jack 15 G / 33 tkl / 8.5 sacks / 2 FF 4th round
Burgess Philly Oakland 16 G / 57 tkl / 16 sacks / 3 FF 5th round

Losing a player like Berry would look to warrant a 3rd rounder but how in the name of God does Haywood earn Denver a pick 38 picks higher than Burgess gets Philly? Burgess had basically double the stats. Maybe Al Davis of the Raiders is right when he says that Denver gets better treatment from the league than his Raiders do.

Another thing that drives me nuts is why has New England always played Denver IN Denver. The Pats have played the Broncos 8 times during the regular season in the last 9 years. Out of those 8 games 6 have been in Denver and 2 have been in NE. Since 2000 they have played each other 5 times with 4 of the games being in Denver.

Last edited:
shatch62 said:
I do not think the NFL cheated to help the Broncos beat the Pats last year in the play-offs but I do think that Denver gets preferential treatment by the league.

Another thing that drives me nuts is why has New England always played Denver IN Denver. The Pats have played the Broncos 8 times during the regular season in the last 9 years. Out of those 8 games 6 have been in Denver and 2 have been in NE. Since 2000 they have played each other 5 times with 4 of the games being in Denver.

I don't think the refs called a fair game, not necessarily in Denver's favor, moreso against the Pats. Look what happened, Pats get riled up by some bad calls, they're on edge, they think the refs are against them and want them to lose and it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. I think if they hadn't been hosed on some calls they wouldn't be as prone to the big mistake.

Denver has been on the favorable end of one of the weirdest scheduling anomalies in NFL history. It's actually 5/6 in Denver since 2000, 4/5 with Brady at QB. Bronco fans brag about winning 4/5 against Brady like HFA didn't matter.

shatch62 said:

Last year the NFL made the Broncos forfeit their #3 round pick as a penalty for salary cap violations. The league needed to investigate and dig to prove that the Broncos cheated and all they did was take a 3rd round pick. Back in 2000, the Steelers came forward and admitted that made a mistake with the cap and went over. They turned themselves in and were made to forfeit their 3rd round pick. One team steps up and admits the mistake and another needs to be caught and they get the same punishment? What is that?

To make matters worse, the league awarded the Broncos 2 compensatory picks in the 3rd round last year. So the lose a 3rd rounder and get 2 more back. I now the Comp picks are based on free agents lost but come on. One of the picks the Broncos got was for losing DE Berry to the Broncos. So it looks like his season would warrant a 3rd round pick. I guess not because this year contradicts that thought.

This year, Denver gets a 4th rounder (130) for losing DE Reggie Haywood to the Jags while the Eagles get a 5th (168) for losing DE Burgess to the Raiders. Now I know that the compensation is based on the player’s performance, contract signed and playing time earned but this looks a little weird based on the numbers. Here are the numbers for the three DE (includes Berry for the 2004 season). You tell me if this seems right

Player Old Team New Team Stats with new team (first season) Comp
Berry Denver Arizona 16 G / 49 tkl / 14.5 sacks / 4 FF 3rd round
Haywood Denver Jack 15 G / 33 tkl / 8.5 sacks / 2 FF 4th round
Burgess Philly Oakland 16 G / 57 tkl / 16 sacks / 3 FF 5th round

Losing a player like Berry would look to warrant a 3rd rounder but how in the name of God does Haywood earn Denver a pick 38 picks higher than Burgess gets Philly? Burgess had basically double the stats. Maybe Al Davis of the Raiders is right when he says that Denver gets better treatment from the league than his Raiders do.

First things first. Denver lost Berry to the Cardinals. Not to Denver as you said in your post.

Next, You need to read one of the thread regarding comp picks. Comp picks are based on the avg. yearly salary of the contract that the player signs. . How a player plays has a minimal impact on the comp pick. That is why Denver got a 3rd round pick for Berry and another for Haywood while Philly only got a 5th for Burgess.

Another thing you need to learn is how the scheduling has changed since 2002. There is now a set rotation for the divisions and a set rotation for the 2 "Strength of Schedule" games. Anything prior to 2002 doesn't make a damn bit of difference. Also, if you looked, the Patriots are playing Denver at HOME this year. The Patriots play the AFCW and AFCN in the Strength of Schedule Games. So that is why the Pats will play Denver at home and Cincy Away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes