Welcome to PatsFans.com

The NFL Draft, Day 1, Round 1, thread

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATSNUTme, May 8, 2014.

1. 50-yard-line

50-yard-line Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +349 / 2 / -3

Two things: repaired ACLs are better than what was there before nowadays. I'm not kidding. I have no ACL in my left leg and next time I hurt it, will get the full surgery (along with cartilege stem cell replacement). I've been studying this intensely because it's personal to me. The things they're doing now are incredible. Especially on the line, I'm not too worried about it, honestly. Heck, Mankins PLAYED on a torn ACL.

Second, the only reason Seattle traded was because they lost their guy? That's the rumor. And it makes sense.

2. 50-yard-line

50-yard-line Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +349 / 2 / -3

You're kidding, right?

3. ATippett56

ATippett56 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +528 / 9 / -18

Bill Belichick typically drafts defensive ends with long arms. I don't see the fit with Dominique Easley at defensive end.

Overall, I have mixed emotions with the selection of Dominique Easley with the 29th overall pick. First concern is the long term durability of Easley's knees, taking account two torn ACLs during Easley's collegiate career. Second concern is whether Easley can hold up against the run.

4. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,384 / 30 / -10

Huh?!? Everything I have read is that pass rush and penetration is Easley biggest strength.

Also, saying it is ok if the Seahawks picked him, but it was a bad pick for the Pats makes no sense. So the Seahawks are stacked at DT, it is better for them to draft a DT who has less chance of playing for them than the Pats because they are stacked at the position. Wouldn't that make it even worse of a pick when they have other needs?

Easley fills a need for the Pats. He doesn't for the Seahawks. At least not as much. Based on that alone (ignoring the injury history just for this argument), he is a far better pick for the Pats than the Seahawks.

5. Brady&Springsteen FTW

Brady&Springsteen FTW Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +18 / 3 / -0

#61 Jersey

What the hell are you talking about?

6. TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +103 / 1 / -0

Actually I've watched plenty of Easley. A lot of his sacks came from pressure from other players. 5.5 career sacks and a lot of those came in the form of multiple shared sacks (ie 0.5 sacks awarded for a shared sack). He's not gonna give us what we need, consistent pressure and help for Chandler Jones, which we need. Ealy would have been a better pick, at least he has healthy knees.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. Tom meets Kaepernick

Tom meets Kaepernick On the Roster

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -2

I see someone has been hitting those draft beers a little too hard

8. TheRazorsEdge

TheRazorsEdge Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0

#51 Jersey

That's just bogus and absolutely wrong. All you're measure "pass rushers" by is sacks?! Nonsense. Easley will provide consistent disruption and pressure (vital parts to the pass rush... See: AFC CHAMPIONSHIP 2013) up the middle. He is the very definition of what we needed...someone to wreck havoc and make QB's uncomfortable in their pockets and force stupid throws into our ridiculously talented secondary.

I just don't think you get it kid.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,384 / 30 / -10

Sacks are overrated. Going up against say Peyton Manning, what the Pats will want Easley to do is collapse the pocket from the inside and force Manning outside where he is prone to make mistakes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. manxman2601

manxman2601 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +989 / 7 / -2

#24 Jersey

33" arms aren't short. and as I said, I don't envision him being a DE all the time, just enough to increase his value to us more than just being a sub-rusher.

11. ATippett56

Ratings:
    +528 / 9 / -18

12. patsox23

patsox23 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0

FWIW...

Mike Loyko ‏@NEPD_Loyko 4s
    Just got it confirmed to me "Seattle got their guy stolen from them" "They packed up shop after that pick".

Thats why SEA traded their pick

13. Danger Zone

Danger Zone 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1,085 / 6 / -3

I wasn't sure that Loyko was actually talking about Easley, but if he's right about all this, it really speaks volumes for Easley and why the Patriots picked him where they did.

EDIT: Mike Loyko ‏@NEPD_Loyko 1h
    #Seahawks were all over Easley at #32 .. noway #Patriots could have traded out. Dan Quinn is Easley's mentor

EDIT: Mike Loyko ‏@NEPD_Loyko 1h
    Easley was NOT getting out of the 1st Round. I thought Seattle might have leapfrogged NE.. Seattle was taking him at 32

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  14. TheRazorsEdge

TheRazorsEdge Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0

#51 Jersey

Exactly. I mentioned the AFC Ship' game as an exact example of what we DIDN'T have in terms of pass rush.

Force QB's to scramble around, not let them get comfortable.. and if they so choose to tuck it and run.. #51 #54 #91 will be waiting in the second level (And possible another draftee after the weekend)

15. ATippett56

Ratings:
    +528 / 9 / -18

16. TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +103 / 1 / -0

Lots of IFs by Prisco. Would've been picked higher IF he didn't blow out his knees, might be a star IF he's healthy. And guess what, I might have been a billionaire IF I created Microsoft, but guess what, I didn't. Too many IFs to be wasted on a 1st round pick.

• Dislike Dislike x 5
  17. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +861 / 6 / -9

18. I.M. Fletcher

I.M. Fletcher Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

The one player that Belichick has the most effusive praise for this season was Geno Atkins. I dont think it should be surprising that he targeted someone with who checks all the same boxes, from work ethic, quick twitch, even measurables, Easley is Atkins draft doppelganger.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,269 / 13 / -15

#75 Jersey

I'm surprised due to size, but if Kiper thinks he's a bad pick (2-3) I like him.
    Hageman Mormon? I think he just wasn't ready for college and had to prep academically.

20. Danger Zone

Danger Zone 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1,085 / 6 / -3

I've another IF for you.

If you were right, I'd agree with you.. but I don't.. ;)

I think you shouldn't put as much emphasis on the injuries to a pro-athlete 22 year old than you would with someone much older.

Last edited: May 9, 2014