PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Media: Best and Worst

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really can not agree here..Maybe I should give them another listen, but I have been up and down with these guys. A few years ago, I used to listen all the time. It was one hour a week in the offseason and a LOT of what I heard was interesting and informative, even though there was a lot of lightness and humor. But then I really got tired of the same old inside jokes and there was even less real football even though they were on for two hours. At one point, I just got sick of them.. maybe two years ago. and really thought they were more an embarrassment than anything close to top notch and stopped listening. It is possible they have improved as people have come and gone, and maybe I would listen again, but for now, it's not a thumbs up.

This is a fairly reasoned and measured response, and I can appreciate that, but it's hard to get on board with you when you haven't given them a fair shake for going on TWO YEARS. I understand what you're saying, 'though I don't agree with it, because they do manage to weave the inside jokes and silly frat-boy stuff into the larger tapestry of a football show. I'm guessing if one isn't a regular listener, the inside stuff might be tiresome and confusing.

My advice? Start listening more consistently and stop worrying about the tangents. Embrace them. I find it more than tolerable - quite entertaining, in fact. And with the advent of iPod technology, you can always download the podcast and skip ahead if the roads not taken are too far off the beaten path for you.

This is a fairly reasoned and measured response, and I can appreciate that, but it's hard to get on board with you when you haven't given them a fair shake for going on TWO YEARS. I understand what you're saying, 'though I don't agree with it, because they do manage to weave the inside jokes and silly frat-boy stuff into the larger tapestry of a football show. I'm guessing if one isn't a regular listener, the inside stuff might be tiresome and confusing.

My advice? Start listening more consistently and stop worrying about the tangents. Embrace them. I find it more than tolerable - quite entertaining, in fact. And with the advent of iPod technology, you can always download the podcast and skip ahead if the roads not taken are too far off the beaten path for you.
I do like the fact you can listen via a stream later...THAT is really good...I listened to them during the 07 season...(when the unnamed person was there..who is far gone now)...he actially made interesting points at times..but I found their show really not up to standards and NOT quality at all. I do think somewhere on this board during that post season in early 08 there was a LOT of discussion about the show and many ddi not feel it was all that good. Some thought embarrasing for an inhouse show. I did listen as I said MORE during the 07 season (so that was less than 2 years ago)...and only a few times in the 08 season..so I have heard the show recently NOT consistently as I had in the past.
Embrace them?? Why?? And it's not the tangents...as I said..when they expanded to more time..they had more time, but they talked less about football...and I really didn't learn all that much more if anything. I started to listen to Thursday's show and will listen in teh next day to the full 2 hours. It seemed better than what I had heard last year..and in 07, BUT?? I will give it another shot.

Last edited:
Bob Costas is a pompus little twirp who has no right being on a football show, let him stick to baseball where he is (or at least thinks he is)the protector of all things pure and holy. Having him and that other doofus Olberman on the same show is just awful. I hope Rodney gets pissed and knocks them both out . If I haven't already made it clear, I really, really can't stand Bob Costas. Oh yeah Olberwoman sucks too.

Bob Costas is a pompus little twirp who has no right being on a football show, let him stick to baseball where he is (or at least thinks he is)the protector of all things pure and holy. Having him and that other doofus Olberman on the same show is just awful. I hope Rodney gets pissed and knocks them both out . If I haven't already made it clear, I really, really can't stand Bob Costas. Oh yeah Olberwoman sucks too.
Olberman is not in his best with football...I agree...and Costas?? I agree he's a little twirp...what I hated about him was on that Sunday night after spygate broke and his interview with Goodell.. talk about missing journalism 101..his questions were pure pablam..and THIS was when the tape had been leaked out..and NO question about that. THAT for me was more what PR is..To really call him a journalist...he missed out entirely.

This year, especially during free agency, I thought Adam Shefter really stood out. No one on ESPN, Sports Illustrated can compare to him.

He was always first on free agency and trades because when teams prepare to make signings or trades they contact people in the league office to clarify questions or simply to notify them the paperwork will be coming over.

The NFL office then gave that to Schefter so he could report it on their in house network.

We'll find out now what Schefter really can do.

Favorites:

Albert Breer, Tom Curran, Don Banks, Adam Schefter, Chris Price, Shalise Young, Chris Berman, Pat Kirwan and of course Mike Reiss:singing:

Tolerables:

King (he does write well if not always knowledgeably), Dr Z, Greeny (the other Mike see below), Carucci, Smith, Jaws, Schein

Intolerables:

Clayton, Bayless, Jackson, Schlereth, Hoge. Kornheiser, Golic, Easterbrook and Borges:banned:

Cant decide - sometimes they are good enough to listen to and other times not: Collingsworth and Costas
Yours is a pretty thorugh lsait, that I agree with. ther was not a single guy ou to place, IMHO.

Nice Job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes