PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Matt Cassel Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Norm Peterson: Bars can be very sad places. Some people spend their whole lives in bars. Just yesterday, some guy sat right here next to me for eleven hours.

He's not going to get that joke. A joke like that would take the intellectual capacity of at least a flea to understand. As usual, patsgo falls short.

Well, I work from 10-7. So that could be it.

Come on, patsgo! Hit me with something good! I temporarily took you off ignore for that very reason. I need to be impressed and so far you're falling short. But I guess that's just the story of your life.
your just a liar, you said i was on your ignore list, please put me on one, because i wasnt on it before, thats pretty smart, put someone on ignore , then take them off then put them back on, what a life, should i put him on ignore, or should i take him off ignore, then put him back, , use your brains and put me on ignore for good and leave me there, in the mean time keep posting because i really enjoy your adolescent thoughts

your just a liar, you said i was on your ignore list, please put me on one, because i wasnt on it before, thats pretty smart, put someone on ignore , then take them off then put them back on, what a life, should i put him on ignore, or should i take him off ignore, then put him back, , use your brains and put me on ignore for good and leave me there, in the mean time keep posting because i really enjoy your adolescent thoughts

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You've apparently never heard of the "Show Post" option. Do you have any idea what you're making yourself look like right now? So let me get this straight: I asked you to impress me and give me a reason to take you off my ignore list and THIS is the best you've got? I'll let Mr. Pacino sign you off before I don't read another one of your posts in this thread...

heat-pacino-great-ass.jpg

That was yesterday. Today you're wasting my mother ------- time.

This message is hidden because patsgo is on your ignore list.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You've apparently never heard of the "Show Post" option. Do you have any idea what you're making yourself look like right now? So let me get this straight: I asked you to impress me and give me a reason to take you off my ignore list and THIS is the best you've got? I'll let Mr. Pacino sign you off before I don't read another one of your posts in this thread...

heat-pacino-great-ass.jpg

That was yesterday. Today you're wasting my mother ------- time.
hmmm you work 10 to 7, that sounds like a baggers shift at stop and shop, isnt it time for you to fetch some shopping carts???

good article and I agree. Cassel is the casket of this team.

Billy B, and Scott Pioli are to blame, more so than Cassel is. Cassel threw 33 passes in college, and had zero starts in the NFL. To have him as your #2, on a Superbowl contending team, is bad management. Cassel makes sense for KC, but not the Patriots. At the very least, the Patriots should have had a veteran back-up with Cassel. That way, at some point, they could make a change that might matter. That's not possible now, so the Patriots best option is to ride it out with Cassel, and see if he can develop, while gaining experience. If come week 11, or 12, the Pats stink, and Cassel does to, they should start O'C, to get his feet wet.

Billy B, and Scott Pioli are to blame, more so than Cassel is. Cassel threw 33 passes in college, and had zero starts in the NFL. To have him as your #2, on a Superbowl contending team, is bad management. Cassel makes sense for KC, but not the Patriots. At the very least, the Patriots should have had a veteran back-up with Cassel. That way, at some point, they could make a change that might matter. That's not possible now, so the Patriots best option is to ride it out with Cassel, and see if he can develop, while gaining experience. If come week 11, or 12, the Pats stink, and Cassel does to, they should start O'C, to get his feet wet.

There's no 'blame' to be placed. In training camp competitions, Matt Cassel won the backup job and has held off all challengers, against both veterans and rookies. As a backup quarterback for the New England Patriots, he has guided his team to a 3-2 record to this point in the season. In the two losses, both the offense and the defense have played poorly.

Let's go over this again: Matt Cassel won/held the job against Doug Flutie, Vinnie Testaverde, Gutz and O'Connell, just to point out 2 rookies and 2 veterans. He's had his ups and downs as pretty much every backup quarterback in the salary cap era does.

When people stop demanding that Tom Brady's backup somehow morph into Tom Brady, we'll all be better off.

Got anyone in mind that is or isn't wearing a bikini?

i do not understand why Tony Eason was mentioned...

There's no 'blame' to be placed. In training camp competitions, Matt Cassel won the backup job and has held off all challengers, against both veterans and rookies. As a backup quarterback for the New England Patriots, he has guided his team to a 3-2 record to this point in the season. In the two losses, both the offense and the defense have played poorly.

Let's go over this again: Matt Cassel won/held the job against Doug Flutie, Vinnie Testaverde, Gutz and O'Connell, just to point out 2 rookies and 2 veterans. He's had his ups and downs as pretty much every backup quarterback in the salary cap era does.

When people stop demanding that Tom Brady's backup somehow morph into Tom Brady, we'll all be better off.

Very well said.

Tom Brady is one of a kind. There may never be another one like him in the history in the NFL.

It is what it is and we have a backup QB doing his best.

So this whole "Matt Cassel Experiment" is going as best as it can.

So we as fans need to just accept this season and cheer for the ups and the downs.

This is a failed experiment:

Silver-Album.jpg

3-2 is not.

Also, let us remember that sometimes, tucking and running is a survival thing.

017033360.jpg

:youtheman:

10chachas

I don't think its that we want Cassel to be Brady, its that O'Connell is an unknown, and until he gets a significant chunk of playing time, and either falls on his face, or doesn't, there are doubts as to if Cassel is the best option.

At this time BB says he is. I for one, think playing Cassel is throw away experience. He is not the starting QB going forward, and most likely, not the primary back up (long term - a 1 year extension is not out of the question). What better way to prepare your back up of the future for the system, then let him get quality snaps?

I bet our record , with either QB , is in the 8-10 W range. What does Cassel give the team, that O'Connel perhaps could not?

At what point do you call it a season? I not saying I know, but 3 or 4 more losses, and with the mediocrity in the AFC, we could be in a real fight just to make the playoffs.

I don't think its that we want Cassel to be Brady, its that O'Connell is an unknown, and until he gets a significant chunk of playing time, and either falls on his face, or doesn't, there are doubts as to if Cassel is the best option.

The team is 3-2 with Cassel. That means that only a handful of teams have fewer losses than the Patriots this season and the team is still in contention for home field advantage in the playoffs, nevermind just for a division title or wild card spot. O'Connell was

At this time BB says he is. I for one, think playing Cassel is throw away experience. He is not the starting QB going forward, and most likely, not the primary back up (long term - a 1 year extension is not out of the question). What better way to prepare your back up of the future for the system, then let him get quality snaps?

Well, throughout NFL history, the "better way" has generally been for the player, no matter how highly touted, to learn from the sidelines. You should ask yourself a simple question:

This O'Connell guy wasn't drafted until the end of the 3rd round. Why on earth should I think he's going to be ready to start winning games for the Patriots in his first season, especially in the beginning of the season?

I bet our record , with either QB , is in the 8-10 W range. What does Cassel give the team, that O'Connel perhaps could not?

Your "bet" is apparently one that Belichick doesn't agree with. I don't know how else to respond to this, because I'm not there during practices.

At what point do you call it a season? I not saying I know, but 3 or 4 more losses, and with the mediocrity in the AFC, we could be in a real fight just to make the playoffs.

I don't know that this really matters as far as O'Connell goes, because I don't know how BB is looking at O'Connell's development arc.

I just want to know why so many people think going with the/ANOTHER "unknown factor" is going to benefit this team. I think it should be pretty clear to us that it's no easy task to adjust to a different QB so what on earth makes people think it's just going to be a snap to adjust to yet another QB,vet or not.

I think you can play musical chairs with some positions but QB isn't one of them. Hopefully it goes without mentioning that our Tommy's a tough act to follow so I'm not sure how many adjustments you expect this team to make.

Tell me who and what situations O'C's had to face? Third stringers in preseason and maybe second stringers in a sure win or loss-that's IT. He hasn't faced the venom of any team and our OL hasn't had to protect him in any kind of real all-the-starters-are-in-with- 2- min- left kinds of situations.

I'm no football guru but at least I grasp the concept of doing what's best for the team as an entity,and even I get the fact that anyone who thinks it's a walk on the beach to step into an NFL who not only is beginning to figure us out but also one who sees every game against us as an opportunity to destroy, is either uninformed or deluded.

Last edited:
I just don't see the logic in people wanting this guy to start. This guy couldn't put the team on his back at San Diego State without an offensive line. How the hell do you expect him to do it here?

Favre and Pennington (Favre more than Pennington) would have been good gets. Other than that duo, I'm not sure there's been anything out there that would have put the team into Super Bowl contention. I don't think Cassel puts the team there either, but I think BB believes/believed that Cassel was good enough to put the team into playoff contention and, from there, anything can happen.

It would have been worth a lot of the tea in China to see Pennington signed by the Patriots, and then stepping in when Brady went down, and leading the Patriots to two victories over the R-A-T-S and deep into the playoffs.

As someone mentioned earlier, the Pats have to call the plays in which focus on Cassel's strengths. Case in point, the goal line stand against San Diego. Houston against Miami, 4th down with less then 10 seconds left. Houston spread the field with one RB in the backfield. Schaub (sp) took off on a draw and scored. As opposed to, having a small RB in the backfield in a power formation?
There is no alternative to Cassell unless we are out of the playoff hunt. Get real, a rookie qb, an out of football qb, or trading a top draft pick is not the answer. It is what it is.

...there are doubts as to if Cassel is the best option.
Apparently not where it counts.

I for one, think playing Cassel is throw away experience. He is not the starting QB going forward, and most likely, not the primary back up (long term - a 1 year extension is not out of the question). What better way to prepare your back up of the future for the system, then let him get quality snaps?
So who is this backup of the future? My crystal ball is a bit foggy.

As for throwing away experience, for whom? I presume you mean O'Connell, but what experience do you want him to take away? He came into the league needing a great deal of refinement per NFLDraftScout.com:
Negatives: Despite his athletic ability, size and arm strength, he is very inconsistent with his delivery, needing to improve his footwork, as he tends to throw off balance and off his back foot too often...Must develop better zip on his deep throws and not generate so much velocity throwing into the short-to-intermediate areas...Has good mobility throwing on the move, but needs to see threats better firing downfield and is not always alert to backside pressure, as many of his fumbles (20 in the last three years) have come after getting hit from the blind side...Has good command of the team and shows courage, but gets into "home run" mindset, trying to force big plays and instead makes mistakes...Must develop a better rhythm on his passes, especially with his footwork...Has never played in anything more than a simplified system and must become more alert on the field, as he does not usually make quick and proper reads...Seems to try to aim the ball rather than hitting his receivers in stride...Might need more than a few years to develop a good feel for reading defenses, as he must do a better job of scanning the field, as he tends to look too long at his primary targets, taking unnecessary punishment when the pocket collapses...Needs to improve his timing patterns to prevent receivers from having to adjust...Will need more refinement in his delivery, as he does not open and close his shoulders quickly...Overthrows at times on fades and post patterns.

Compares To: MATT CASSEL-New England...O'Connell is a more mobile passer, but like Cassel, he is going to need time and patient coaching to add technique and mechanical refinement. He is a rare-sized athlete with great mobility in the pocket, but his delivery is a mess and his footwork leaves a lot to be desired. He forces a lot of throws and needs generate better touch on his short-area throws and improve the zip on his deep passes. If a team preaches patience and has an established veteran in place to allow O'Connell several years to develop, he could be a good one. Rushing him, however, might render any pick used on O'Connell a wasted selection.
And per his own description from rookie camp:
05/15/08 - QB Kevin O'Connell, who struggled with his accuracy in rookie camp, got some serious attention after one of the workouts as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Josh McDaniels ran the rookie through a variety of throws and drops with a member of the Patriots video department taping every movement. The third-round pick said the first few days of his pro career have given him coaching like he's never received before. "We've just been watching a lot of stuff and there are little things that Coach McDaniels wants me to work on every day. At the end of the day we are just going to film it every day and continue to grow with that," said the athletic San Diego State star. "That's something I'll probably do day in and day out for the rest of the summer. I really haven't been exposed to coaching like this before."
I frankly don't understand how so many people can fail to see how much better at running the offense Cassel was in preseason. Yes, he's struggling with reading defenses and seeing the field, but the two current NFL Head Coaches with two or more Super Bowl victories - and incidentally part of the even rarer back to back Lombardis club - have both said it takes time for a young QB playing in this league to learn how to read defenses. Any number of pundits have said the Patriots aren't simplifying the offense to any great degree for Cassel. Throwing O'Connell to the wolves seems like a poor way to develop him, some limited mop up duty like the Miami game gives him some film to learn from, without leaving him out there to be beaten on mentally and physically while he's trying to absorb all the new material and meld it with what he has recently learned. Patience please.

I had expectations for the team before the season started:
Reserve QB - meeting expectations at 3-2 after five games. He's limited turnovers and progressed in his decision making from each of the previous games. (Those who don't think so should send their resumes to Bob Kraft, if you're right he obviously needs to build a candidate pool for HC of the NEP.)
O-line - is failing to meet my expectations. Lots of room to step up here.
TE - is failing to meet my expectations.
WR - within the limits of working with a reserve QB, okay, but Randy getting owned by Jammer was a major disappointment, Cassel or no Cassel.
RB - about where I expected. Maroney's injury will heal, as will Jordens, and they will be a nice one-two punch down the stretch. Morris, Evans, and Faulk are their usual reliable selves.
D-line - is failing to meet my expectations. Lots of room to step up here.
Linebacker - is failing to meet my expectations. Lots of room to step up here.
Secondary - Seems uncoordinated, something is needed here to bring them onto the same page.
PK - Awsome.
P - is failing to meet my expectations. The directional kicking isn't what I'm looking for.
STs - more inconsistent then I expected, there is a bunch of room to make up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft