PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Matt Cassel Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has been a success.

good points, lets face it in 5 games hes had two long balls to moss, other than that his average pass is 5 to 7 yards, that not going to cut the mustard in this league, oconnell will be in the game as the broncos are up by 24

Cassel's passing average of 6.4 YPA ranks him 22nd among qualified players on NFL.com, tied with Kerry Collins, who's quarterbacking the league's only undefeated team. That's not great, by any stretch, but he's not last. He's averaging more than Carson Palmer, Marc Bulger, Brian Griese, Matt Hasselbeck, Derek Anderson, etc... He's also 19th in passer rating, which isn't all that bad for a player who'll be making only his 5th NFL start this week.

He has the accuracy on short/medium passes. Now he just needs some pocket presence.

Even without it, arguably you could create an offense just geared around short / medium passes, screens, etc.

I would like to see some more toughness in the pocket from him. He crumples like a girl as soon as the pressure is on.

Amen to that article. Matt Cassel has zero chance to be a successful backup QB in the NFL. After this season he is out of the league, only remembered as a small stain on Bill B's career as a Hall of Fame coach.

People want miracles this season, it's that simple. Changing qb's now isn't going to fix the situation. I can only say that in hindsight, having 2 unproven qb's behind Brady this season was not the best decision. I'm sure Belichick believed that Cassel was as capable as any veteran new to the Pats offense would be at running it. And he may still be. But as others have posted in the past, an experienced option at qb would have been prudent for the talent on this roster, if for no other reason than to help mentor Cassel through the year. The Pats and their fans have been spoiled by the play and durability of Brady, and we are now paying the piper a heavy toll for what we've enjoyed in the past. Nothing to do but ride it out at this point.

People want miracles this season, it's that simple. Changing qb's now isn't going to fix the situation. I can only say that in hindsight, having 2 unproven qb's behind Brady this season was not the best decision. I'm sure Belichick believed that Cassel was as capable as any veteran new to the Pats offense would be at running it. And he may still be. But as others have posted in the past, an experienced option at qb would have been prudent for the talent on this roster, if for no other reason than to help mentor Cassel through the year. The Pats and their fans have been spoiled by the play and durability of Brady, and we are now paying the piper a heavy toll for what we've enjoyed in the past. Nothing to do but ride it out at this point.
i agree, so lets start wheatley, wlhite, and crable to get the d faster and give these guys valuable experience for next year, the same for oconnell, at least he can run and he will have needed experience to back up brady, cassel will not lead us to the playoffs so lets start getting rerady for next year

Let's all throw in the towel......great fans..unite...lol

i agree, so lets start wheatley, wlhite, and crable to get the d faster and give these guys valuable experience for next year, the same for oconnell, at least he can run and he will have needed experience to back up brady, cassel will not lead us to the playoffs so lets start getting rerady for next year

I agree. If we can't win a superbowl this year (does anyone really picture Matt Cassel holding the Lombardi trophy over his head ? ), then playing the kids to add depth and experience only helps our Superbowl run next year when Brady returns.

I'd definitely like to see Wheatley and Crable in there a bit more, though I feel like there must be something BB sees in Crable that needs to be fixed before he throws him out there.

O'Connell though, when he was drafted I think they said he was going to need some time to correct a lot of things before he would be a good NFL QB. If we throw him out too soon, he may take a step backwards. Rather just stick with Cassel at this point, I don't think the results are going to be much different unless the D steps up.

I agree. If we can't win a superbowl this year (does anyone really picture Matt Cassel holding the Lombardi trophy over his head ? ), then playing the kids to add depth and experience only helps our Superbowl run next year when Brady returns.

You're absolutely right. And, while we're at it, let's toss in the towel for next season too. Brady will be older and coming back from injury. Rodney will be even older, and Bruschi may not even be around. The team has no shot to win the Super Bowl next season either.

Frankly, I don't know why they don't just fold the team.

It's threads like this that make me feel ashamed to actually call myself a Boston sports fan. Some of you are pathetic.

I think that before anyone goes and knocks Cassel (which by the way is an easy target for us and an even easier target for the folks in the media), someone has to explain this to me:

Is it Cassel's fault that Deltha O'Neil can not cover deep?

Is it Cassel's fault that our Defensive line can't get to the qb or even pressure said QB?

Is it Cassel's fault that despite only being on the field for 20 min in the San Fran game, the defense still gives up 20 points - That's a point per min. average.

Is it Cassel's fault that Josh is still calling plays at the Goal line that he would call with Tom at QB?

Is it Cassel's fault that despite the O line KNOWING they have a "Rookie" qb behind them that's going to need more time than a more experienced QB, they are still allowing to much pressure and getting pushed around WAY to often for the Pro Bowl nod that they got in 2007.

Is it Cassel's fault that he does not have the experience to go up to Randy Moss, get in his face and ask him why he dropped the pass? or Missed the pass? or looked like he dogged it?

You want to blame Cassel? Go ahead. That's like getting mad at the sun for rising in the AM.

You want to get mad at a group of Veteran Players that are underachieving this year? That's where we should all the focusing our venom.

I am not a huge Cassel fan myself but lets not get all hot and bothered here. Did it not seem like the second half of the Chargers game when we went to the shotgun on almost every possesion that we moved the ball downfield pretty well? Obviously we need to be putting the ball in the endzone more (duh). Also, Moss dropped 2 pretty well thrown balls from Cassel, (the first one was a little behind him but he had it in his hands). I think the bigger issue that needs to be addressed is the defense and incredible lack of pressure on the opposing qb.

You want to get mad at a group of Veteran Players that are underachieving this year? That's where we should all the focusing our venom.

5 games in is too early to call them underachievers. We can only hope the players and coaches are learning lessons from each game.

Heck, yeah, I can see Cassel with the Lombardi trophy. 5 games into the '01 season find me one quote from anyone that suggested Brady would be hoisting the Lombardi trophy 4 months later...and that he would do it 2 more out of the next 3 seasons. If we're 4-8 after 12 games, then go ahead and call the season lost. But no way do I see that happening. This team will be in a lot of games and will be a factor in the playoff race.

You're absolutely right. And, while we're at it, let's toss in the towel for next season too. Brady will be older and coming back from injury. Rodney will be even older, and Bruschi may not even be around. The team has no shot to win the Super Bowl next season either.

Frankly, I don't know why they don't just fold the team.

All or nothing for you, eh?

Is it Cassel's fault that he does not have the experience to go up to Randy Moss, get in his face and ask him why he dropped the pass? or Missed the pass? or looked like he dogged it?

I keep hearing this, and I have no clue what you're talking about. I'm going to guess you mean the first long pass to Moss last week, where he had to slow down (because the pass was underthrown), kept his hands low until the last second so he didn't tip off the defender, was bumped by said defender as he went to catch the ball (because the pass was underthrown), and ultimately didn't hang on to the ball because the defender was blanketing him, having been brought back into the play because the pass was underthrown.

Yeah, he still makes that catch sometimes, but geez, give the guy a break. He dropped one against the Giants in game 16 last year too, that was an easier chance than the one last week. Brady went right back to him.

THAT'S the difference this year; he gets 1-2 looks a game to try to make a circus catch on a badly thrown pass. And then Cassel/McDaniels revert to the 3 yard passing game after that.

How did you come up with the brilliant idea that he dogged it??

It's threads like this that make me feel ashamed to actually call myself a Boston sports fan. Some of you are pathetic.
listen in 4 years ive seen cassel hes done nothing to impress me, that said, why as fans cant we just face the reality of the sitaution, he sucks, if you refuse to admit thats your problem

5 games in is too early to call them underachievers. We can only hope the players and coaches are learning lessons from each game.

Really? That's nearly 1/3 of the season. They are VERTAN players, many Pro Bowl players and you are willing to give them 33% of the season to start playing?

No F'n way. Not gonna happen.

Tom Brady is gone for the season and they can't step up and play to the degree that we all know they can?

That's crazy.

But the flip side is everyone will dump it all on Cassel. I'm so freaking sick of this I could puke.

You want Cassel to be the Scapegoat, fine. Admit it and MOVE ON TO 2009.

I'm not on that train and will not be until the final game of the 2008 season is played - whatever month that may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes