PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nice Read by Reiss: Could fixing the Patriots' offense include benching Mac Jones?

When Brady first replaced Bledsoe, you realize who had by far the stronger arm at that point?

Arm strength is only one item. And one of the reasons Brady was drafted so low is lack of arm strength.

(Which he incrementally improved every year. Some of those throws to Moss he wouldn’t have been able to do in 2001.)

Still there was plays to be made the last year and a half and Mac didn’t make them because he is trash. that’s on him.

He is an error repeater. He always make the same mistakes without improvement. His rookie season was a smoke screen.

He can thank his lucky star that Zappe is inept otherwise he would have been out of the league by now.
Mac isn't a good QB but he still hasn't been set up for success. That is the main reason I want Bill gone in January. I don't know want him to ruin another QB.

So stick with Mac. Then have the backup come in in the second half…for the third game in a row.

Sounds like platooning to me.

Mac is done. He’s broken. He is pointing fingers at his teammates. Time for next man up.
Show me the quote where he said that. No anonymous sources, please.

I might not be the biggest mac Jones fan, but what I see goes far beyond him. Since reiss is Billy's mouthpiece, I guess this comes from inside. To review, Billy ****ed up; last season, FA, the offense, the draft, the qb position, the preseason, and the coaching staff. Not even the slightest hint of taking ownership of the situation from team Bill.

Mac isn't a good QB but he still hasn't been set up for success. That is the main reason I want Bill gone in January. I don't know want him to ruin another QB.
You will not see complain from me if Bill is gone. I wanted Bill gone the minute he let Brady walk. That was the moment I knew Bill had lost it

I hate the fact that Jones is starting on Sunday. More than that, I hate the fact that most of this board defends this. Zappe showed enough last year that he earned an opportunity to lead this team. Jones has been given an obnoxious number of chances- most of them totally undeserved.
"We have to see what we have in Jones" - 99% of Pats nation.

"We already know what we have in Jones. We have to see what we have in Zappe." - me

I hate the fact that Jones is starting on Sunday. More than that, I hate the fact that most of this board defends this. Zappe showed enough last year that he earned an opportunity to lead this team. Jones has been given an obnoxious number of chances- most of them totally undeserved.

"We already know what we have in Jones. We have to see what we have in Zappe." - me
It ain't about last year. THIS year he was put on waivers and not one of the other 31 teams claimed him. If he "proved" himself last year, don't you think that at least one QB hungry team would take a flyer on him for nothing?

Last edited:
I hate the fact that Jones is starting on Sunday. More than that, I hate the fact that most of this board defends this. Zappe showed enough last year that he earned an opportunity to lead this team.
He was meh in camp and dreadful in preseason so the only thing he earned is being cut from the roster after camp. Obviously he didn't show enough last year either or some team would have picked him up off the waiver wire.

We already know what we have in both guys and it's not good.

Give Zappe a chance with the score not 31 - 0.

WTF, the opposing defense knows you're going to pass the ball.

I would bench Mac, activate Cunningham, start Zappe.

If Zappe ****s the bed, which he probably will, you give Malik the opportunity to run around out there. Worst case scenario we keep losing and get a high draft pick.

Give Zappe a chance with the score not 31 - 0.

WTF, the opposing defense knows you're going to pass the ball.
Halloween Lol GIF by giphystudios2021

Mac is broken. Starting him Sunday is another in a long line of errors, especially on the offensive side.

Why not platoon a couple of QBs? Even having Malik run an option run attack would be more productive at this juncture.

Hiring Klemm for the OL looks like another mistake.
It's funny, after the first two games he was lauded for how well the OL played when we expected disaster. Now we have disaster.

When Brady first replaced Bledsoe, you realize who had by far the stronger arm at that point?

Arm strength is only one item. And one of the reasons Brady was drafted so low is lack of arm strength.

(Which he incrementally improved every year. Some of those throws to Moss he wouldn’t have been able to do in 2001.)
Normally QB's look the same throughout their career with their arm strength and throwing mechanics. Tom and Aaron Rodgers are the two QB's that have evovled their throwing styles/improved arm strength over the years.

Pretty balanced take on the situation:

To answer this question, no imo. There's nobody on the roster to play QB that is better. And there's no point in trading for a steady hand to save a lost season. Nothing this year is fixing the offense.

No Zappe did not. Zappe was basically hand delivered a chance to steal the starting job when Mac came back and got benched. And when he finally had the chance to show everyone he could outperform Mac when they both played the same team... he **** the bed. Winning a game the defense pitched a shutout by throwing less than 200 yards and going 1TD and 1INT isn't good. Mac could have done that, every QB in the league could do that. Likewise, beating the Browns without their starting QB when they were on a 3-7 stretch was also not really impressive.

He had his shot. He blew it. He never once showed anything to say he could be better than Mac, who in his own right isn'y proving to be an NFL starter.

We know what we have in Zappe. This is the same crap everyone screamed about Stidham in 2020. The coaches see these guys every day. We as fans don't make that evaluation and aren't entitled to demand who starts so we can see what they already know.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back