PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Draft Day Downside of Welker

I absolutely sympathize with the sentiments. At the same time, the Pats are one team of 32. The others do have to pick, too. Having two 1sts is better than a 1st and a 2nd, yeah? But, yeah, if you watch the draft and see players you want get picked off waiting until our 3rd, it'll be a drag, fo sho.

The only thing to do is consider that we do have a second round pick and we already know what it is. It alleviates a little anxiety. We get Wes Welker. And he's a tricky little gutsy devil who runs around like a video game player.

Oh geez, sounds like people are complaining because they got a Ferrari(2 first rounders) instead of a vette(one 1st rnder and a 2nd.)

we can tell things are slow around here.

three more weeks but who is counting.

Oh geez, sounds like people are complaining because they got a Ferrari(2 first rounders) instead of a vette(one 1st rnder and a 2nd.)

we can tell things are slow around here.

If that refers to me, I suggest you work on reading comprehension.

And just think, we could get someone like Sidney Rice or Jason Hill for that pick. What a great trade that was for us.:)

And just think, we could get someone like Sidney Rice or Jason Hill for that pick. What a great trade that was for us.:)

And while your rookie is learning the offense, adjusting to the speed of the game, and trying to get open, the Pats have a player that's proven, enabling them NOW to incorporate him into the offense based on what he does best -- not on potential. They'll be no waiting for year two on Welker -- he'll have immediate value. :)

BTW, I forgot he'll be the primary punt returner too. :singing:

Maybe, maybe not. We all know the Patriot side of that trade was a safe, for sure, low ceiling, high floor way to use the pick. Whoever the Dolphins take on draft day will have more upside than Welker but it's at least 50-50 that Welker will have a more productive career.

And while your rookie is learning the offense, adjusting to the speed of the game, and trying to get open, the Pats have a player that's proven, enabling them NOW to incorporate him into the offense based on what he does best -- not on potential. They'll be no waiting for year two on Welker -- he'll have immediate value. :)

BTW, I forgot he'll be the primary punt returner too. :singing:

Proven? In the last 2 years he has just over 1000 yards and all of 1 career receiving TD. Come on man, Welker is a nice average backup receiver, let's not put him on a pedestal like you seem to be doing here. I'll take our rookie who can actully run past someone and get down the field rather than a guy who is restricted to check down routes for 10 to 15 yards max.

Oh and punt returning? Enjoy your maximum of 10 yards per return. Welker never breaks any big runs except maybe 1 or 2 per year.

Watch games of Welker and look at his production, he is never going to be anything better a 3rd receiver.

Proven? In the last 2 years he has just over 1000 yards and all of 1 career receiving TD. Come on man, Welker is a nice average backup receiver, let's not put him on a pedestal like you seem to be doing here. I'll take our rookie who can actully run past someone and get down the field rather than a guy who is restricted to check down routes for 10 to 15 yards max.

Oh and punt returning? Enjoy your maximum of 10 yards per return. Welker never breaks any big runs except maybe 1 or 2 per year.

Watch games of Welker and look at his production, he is never going to be anything better a 3rd receiver.

It's not about how productive Welker is it's abut when his production comes. We have plenty of dangerous outside receivers like Stallworth, Caldwell, Gaffney, Washington, and eventually Jackson, but we need is the slot receiver who on third down can get just enough yards to extend the drive. That is where Welker's value comes in. No one expects him to be Jerry Rice but hopefully he can create mismatches and be a pesky little receiver over the middle.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back