PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Clay Matthews effect makes me a bit nervous

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can"t think of any BUT...I certainly would LOVE to see a Ted Hendricks clone join this Patriots team.

I can"t think of any BUT...I certainly would LOVE to see a Ted Hendricks clone join this Patriots team.

Ted was 6'7". He's the tallest linebacker in NFL history, and he played in both the 4-3 and 3-4 defenses in the pros, after playing on the D-line in college. He made the conversion as a rookie, as opposed to Peppers, who'd have been attempting the feat at age 29.

Ted makes one. The bolded part is pretty important when it comes to the discussion about Mr. Peppers.

Last edited:
The point is that not every player can play every position in every system. 6'7" linebackers are a rarity, to put it mildly.

Could you kindly list, say, twenty 6'7" conversion projects that went from D-line to true OLB in the NFL, with a particular focus on those who played in a 2-gap system? If you can't think of 20 off the top of your head, perhaps you could start with just 5-10 of them.

Pointless exercise. Blatantly ignoring his body of work, what he's done on the field, and his athletic ability.

Again, my original question to you is: who are those people that understood he was a poor fit for the Patriots 3-4? You and the other geniuses we have here in this forum?

Pointless exercise. Blatantly ignoring his body of work, what he's done on the field, and his athletic ability.

Again, my original question to you is: who are those people that understood he was a poor fit for the Patriots 3-4? You and the other geniuses we have here in this forum?

It's interesting that you consider the idea of finding similar players to be a pointless exercise. Joker's already given you one, surely there are lots of 6'7" linebacker conversions that thrived in the new positions just littering NFL history. Come on, drop some knowledge on us.

And Peppers' body of work has been as a 4-3 defensive end who can't hold up against the run. I'm not sure how you feel that equates to a future as a 2-gap 3-4 OLB.

Last edited:
It's interesting that you consider the idea of finding similar players to be a pointless exercise. Joker's already given you one, surely there are lots of 6'7" linebacker conversions that thrived in the new positions just littering NFL history. Come on, drop some knowledge on us.

And Peppers' body of work has been as a 4-3 defensive end who can't hold up against the run. I'm not sure how you feel that equates to a future as a 2-gap 3-4 OLB.

What does it matter that there hasn't been many if at all OLBs with Peppers' physical measurements. Is that how you equate to him not being able to play the position? I choose to look at his past performance and try to project how he would play. Surely I could be wrong. But you're premise that he can't play because of his measurements are funny.

BTW, you still haven't answered my questions regarding who the people are that said he can't play in the Patriots 3-4. Who are these genuises?

What does it matter that there hasn't been many if at all OLBs with Peppers' physical measurements. Is that how you equate to him not being able to play the position? I choose to look at his past performance and try to project how he would play. Surely I could be wrong. But you're premise that he can't play because of his measurements are funny.

BTW, you still haven't answered my questions regarding who the people are that said he can't play in the Patriots 3-4. Who are these genuises?

Still waiting on all those examples.

Still waiting on all those examples.

LOL. Whether there are examples or not, I'm not gonna waste my time doing research when you just have to look at the way the guy can play and move.

You still haven't answered my question who the guys are that said he can't play in the Patriots 3-4. Care to entertain that question?

For what it's worth...

1) Peppers repeatedly said he wanted to go to a 3-4 team and play outside linebacker
2) The Patriots were very interested in him and there were wide rumors that he would be traded for the 34th overall pick in the 2009 draft
3) "This is a guy who totally went on strike two years ago because he wasn't happy with his contract," the player personnel source said. "He's also very long [in the torso], which is not ideal for a 3-4 outside linebacker. And he can't drop into coverage. He's very stiff." - Vic Carrucci's 'league-source'

Adalius Thomas played well here in NE. He just had a bad attitude towards the end of his tenure here. His downfall shouldn't be used as a comparison to whether or not Peppers would or would not have succeeded in NE. BB obviously thought he could work Peppers into the scheme, and I think his convictions, more times than not, are better than anyone on these forums.

$0.02

Last edited:
LOL. Whether there are examples or not, I'm not gonna waste my time doing research when you just have to look at the way the guy can play and move.

You still haven't answered my question who the guys are that said he can't play in the Patriots 3-4. Care to entertain that question?

So, the reality is that you've got nothing.

So, the reality is that you've got nothing.

No, the reality is that the only argument you have is because there hasn't been a 6'7" OLB means that there can't be one. What about 6'7" makes him unfit to play OLB? Is it a question of athleticism? What is your reason?

It's like before there were 300 lb linemen, your logic would have been, hey there hasn't been one so they can't play that position. Or before 6'4" athletes started playing WRs, you probably thought they couldn't play that position either. It's asinine but that's the only argument you have.

I'm still waiting for the people that said Peppers can't play in the Patriots 3-4. I know the answer to that already though, because no sane analyst on TV would say something that would be ridiculed. Only on a Patriots forum would people say something like that.

"Because our OLB position is so complex and demanding, only guys like Ninkovich, TBC, and Cunningham can play in it":bricks:

Peppers at 6'7 283 would be 2 inches taller and 13 pounds heavier than McGinest at 6'5 270. Jason Taylor played OLB at 6'6 but weighs only 250.

Clay Matthews is the most overrated player in football. The sooner we all come to terms with this the better off we will be. It doesn't matter how much muscle you have when your tendons haven't been able to recover like your juiced up muscle. He's quick as hell but any player with decent feet and the sand to anchor owns him. Plus, it's only a matter of time until he misses four games from the league, then blows a tendon, then becomes Shawne Merriman.

Facepalm.jpg

Why would we require to change our scheme? Again, your insistence that he can't play in our system is mind-numbing. How do you know? Because right now he gets through blocks with his quickness instead of brute strength? How do you know he can't do what the Pats would require for him to do?

Here's a quote from Nick Casserio, you know, the guy that gets paid to evaluate these players for the Patriots.

Here's a quote from BB:

Patriots could have had Packers playmaker Clay Matthews - Projo Pats Blog

To say that he can't play in our system where TBC is our starting OLB is so dumb.
"he's weak against da run!!!1 proove dat he isn't!!!!1"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft