PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Bill O'Brien Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really liked the playcalling and offensive balance today. BOB is doing a nice job of putting Brady into some great positions to succeed.

The way that the team is using tempo & the pressure offense right now is a thing of beauty.

Except Dante has no ambition to be a HC.

Exactly. I think he'd rather be known as one of the best OL coaches ever than a great OL coach who became a mediocre HC.

Dilfer tweeted a couple of weeks back that BOB was one of his top 5 OC's. Also JAWS called him one of the top OC's too. Those are two guys I respect on anything NFL.

I think the Credit goes something like this....

1. Brady
2. BB
3. Scarnecchia

I think BB has more to do with what happens on Sundays then Bill O'Brien.

183 yards rushing
226 yards passing.

A balanced attack produces 31 points.

Nice job!

Lets not appreciate him too much or he will get snagged by someone else. :mad:

Yesterday's play calling was good. Who knew we had a running game! Nice balance and it limited the damage on defense. Thanks Bill. Now, keep up the good work! If we lose to the Jets, it's back to the woodshed for you!

All you had to do is watch the horrendous gameplans and play calling that Brian Schottenheimer and Cam Cameron used last night and you gotta appreciate Bill O'Brien. As I said in the Jets/Ravens game thread, I think Schottenheimer and Cameron draw up their gameplans using rounded scissors and a lot of felt paper and edible glue. O'Brien draws up gameplans to attack the weakness of the opponent.

I think the Credit goes something like this....

1. Brady
2. BB
3. Scarnecchia

I think BB has more to do with what happens on Sundays then Bill O'Brien.

And the same people are responsible when the offense sputters. O'Brien haters like McDaniels haters before them want to blame O'Brien for every loss and give everyone else credit but him for every win. It doesn't work that way.

All you had to do is watch the horrendous gameplans and play calling that Brian Schottenheimer and Cam Cameron used last night and you gotta appreciate Bill O'Brien. As I said in the Jets/Ravens game thread, I think Schottenheimer and Cameron draw up their gameplans using rounded scissors and a lot of felt paper and edible glue. O'Brien draws up gameplans to attack the weakness of the opponent.
I was very happy with the offensive play calling and player execution yesterday. Without putting up huge offensive numbers and making some errant throws, Brady looked in total control of that offense and the run game.

I'll give it to BOB for this game, but i never make a decision like BOB should be fired based on One game or a couple. BOB has called many good games only to revert back to his One dimensional self. He had a good run last Nov and Dec then melted down in the playoffs. Many of the same people that are praising him now were calling for his head after the Jets game last Jan, and before that during the season, and before that the season before, the threads are in the archives to prove it. I try Not to be hypocritical, because of the nature of sports fan(atics), and this board i don't post anything without putting some thought into along with observation over a period of time.
Hers another observation.... without looking it up i think BOBs been the OC for Three years now, at the same point in their career's both Josh McDaniels and Charlie Wiess were being mentioned as future Head Coaches. I don't think, in fact i know ive Never heard the term Head Coach and Bill O'Brien mentioned in the same sentence. So for those worried about him leaving Don't.

BOB flashback ...Throwing to Randy Moss on almost every play, remember those days back in 09 and '10. It seemed like he had only a couple of plays the main one was throwing the long bomb to Moss no matter what the situation was. Classic BOB.

Last edited:
Yesterday was a thing of beauty aside from the couple times he dropped Brady back when it was 31-13. BOB made a huge leap year 1 to year 2 in many areas. The playoff game showed he has room for improvement in key situations. I think this year he just needs to show more patience in the run game and rely less on Brady, HOPEFULLY yesterday was a sign of things to come.

This year we have Gronk starting to draw double teams, Welker is full strength and playing better than ever, we have a complete RB in Ridley that can force defenses to respect an explosive back, and 85 is looking like another comfortable option for Brady on the outside. There is no excuse for this offense to be shut down unless its a SB42 type OL collapse.

4 games

4 excellent game plans

Not much more we can ask for...

4 games

4 excellent game plans

Hmm. I thought they should have gone more to the run in Buffalo, first on that play where Brady threw to Woodhead and it was tipped and picked off (at that point because we should have been trying to wind down the clock at the half) and then definitely when Brady's wheels came off. Our running game, it turns out, is pretty good. Other than that, I agree with you.

4 games

4 excellent game plans

At first glance yesterday did not look like they played well, but the intent yesterday was to balance the offense and still win.. which they did quite well. Integrating Ridley into this offense is a complementary move that will reap benefits..

It was a different game plan, and every game is a practice for another game.. to gain those rushing yards against the Raiders is significant. Everyone thought that we would focus on their weakened secondary, which we did, but not as much as expected.

We still are not firing on all cylinders, and think BOB is using the classic Rope-a-dope, and now that everyone will key on Welker, we can focus on other guys to carry the load.

So far our offense is throw everything to welker.

Obrien: if the other receivers are wide open, pump fake to them and then throw it to a bracketed welker. Also, if our running game is extremely effective we are going to stop using it because no one will suspect a pass to welker in this situation.

All joking aside, he has been pretty good so far and I like the fact we are throwing more vertically as opposed to barrages of wr screens and etc.

Hmm. I thought they should have gone more to the run in Buffalo, first on that play where Brady threw to Woodhead and it was tipped and picked off (at that point because we should have been trying to wind down the clock at the half) and then definitely when Brady's wheels came off. Our running game, it turns out, is pretty good. Other than that, I agree with you.

Unless I see a complete headscratcher on a critical play at the end of the game, I don't grade coaches on one play. If you go look in the game thread, you'll find that I said something like "with the amount of time left, BOB called a pass. I can understand people having a problem with that". I didn't like the play, and there were a couple more like that during the game. I just differentiate between single plays and overall game calling.

At first glance yesterday did not look like they played well, but the intent yesterday was to balance the offense and still win.. which they did quite well. Integrating Ridley into this offense is a complementary move that will reap benefits..

It was a different game plan, and every game is a practice for another game.. to gain those rushing yards against the Raiders is significant. Everyone thought that we would focus on their weakened secondary, which we did, but not as much as expected.

We still are not firing on all cylinders, and think BOB is using the classic Rope-a-dope, and now that everyone will key on Welker, we can focus on other guys to carry the load.

I think that what we're going to see is Johnson getting more and more time out there. He seems to have the out reads correct now, and I expect that we'll see him making plays off of that now, with down/out/up plays and the like.

152 yards rushing.

Now, which team was going to "ground and pound"?

:cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case