PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Agony of Victory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Rob0729 but I was talking about all season not just yesterday maybe I should have made that clearer. I believe they quoted us 3rd or 5th worst in getting off the field on 3rd down during yesterdays game(fwiw Seattle is the worst if you can believe it). So not talking about Oak game, talking about the season thus far.

Carr had alot of time on may occasions and did make plays with his legs as well. I am not saying I am down on our defense. I am saying I understand why it is viewed that way by some.

You are basing your argument on one half of the first game. The Pats are currently 19th on 3rd down defense. The Vikings had a 36% success rate on third down which was worse than the Raiders. In fact, Minnesota got two of their four third down conversions on their opening TD drive last week. Miami had a 53% success rate on third downs. That is why the Pats had such a bad third down success rate going into the game yesterday.

It was the second half of the first game that is skewing a lot of defensive stats.

I do not understand how you consider a defense to have bent when it allows 241 yards of total offense and 9 points, both of which per game would rank #1 in the NFL.
If you hold a weak team to less than the weakest team in the league gets, how can that not pass the eye test.
If you think that a great defense would hold teams to no first downs or shut them out every week, I don't know what to tell you.

honnnnnnnkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Wish there was a time machine that we could send all the "close to the edge group" back to the time of when mediocrity was accepted and really shytty teams were the norm.. we revelled when we had a winning season.

I always tell the story how in the 70's, 80's and 90's would get the Sears Christmas and JC Penney Catalog and would go the NFL gift section... the only teams you could get were Dallas(America's Team), Raiders, NY Giants, Redskins and a few others. My first Pats T-Shirt was a "Squish the Fish T-Shirt" in 1985... and then we entered another dry spell.

images

Perhaps they would get some perspective as to how lucky we really are to have this current team and it architects.. to have remained this competitive this long is unheard of in this salary cap era...

the pats are #1 in the NFL in passing defense......they have not given up a TD in 115 minutes of play
the QB's are going to get tougher, but there's not a whole lot to say bad about the defense

the offense will be fine by october

I am reminded of the phrase "On any given Sunday".

The difference between the league's best team and worst team is very little, and that changes with every week. On any game day, any team can find a way to win against even the best opponent, and this past weekend, Oakland tried very hard to put on a good game. Those guys get paid to play too, and they didn't want to end up being 0-3. So they fought, and fought hard. I give them props for that.

Coach Belichick has said, on numerous occasions, that the only stat that matters is the number of wins. As long as you score more points than the other team, then you win. I don't mind winning ugly, as long as they win.

As to Miami, the division games are always a dogfight, and IIRC, we seem to split the games with Miami each season. It's the result of seeing each other twice a year. You pretty much KNOW all the players, the plays, the philosophy. It's actually pretty hard to pull something new on a division opponent.

But I enjoyed the game. I really believe that with a few more games under their belt, the O-Line will gel and from that point on, Brady will have the time he needs. Beyond that, I really don't have a lot to complain about.

I was there so I haven't watched the tape (4 hour drive home kills any chance of that) but my impression of the offense was that they moved the ball OK, but just short circuited on a number of drives. This is historically the way we have bad games, and IMO, is the real issue with the latest playoff losses. When we go into the mode of getting small chunks and wanting 12 play 70 yard drives, with 6 first downs, its very, very difficult to not have a play get botched and screw that up.
Our offense has always been best when it tries to rip off big chunks between the 20s, usually in the seams. Historically, when we have one of these games, that philosophy gets corrected. In the 4th quarter we seemed to be recognizing that.

I am reminded of the phrase "On any given Sunday".

The difference between the league's best team and worst team is very little, and that changes with every week. On any game day, any team can find a way to win against even the best opponent, and this past weekend, Oakland tried very hard to put on a good game. Those guys get paid to play too, and they didn't want to end up being 0-3. So they fought, and fought hard. I give them props for that.
Yup. The Raiders essentially were playing for their season, because they'll never get out of an 0-3 hole in that division. Also, they have a veteran defense (plus a potential ROY in Mack) that obviously adjusted from its first two games and played hard. And keep in mind that if not for poor red zone execution, the Pats should have had two more touchdowns.

well......unless you're completely blind, there were quite a few things to not like about the way the game was played
There is one result from a game. This one was a win.
How your opinion of what the future games will look like based upon this one is meaningless to me, and holds absolutely no value.

Its tough...the D has played well but doesnt pass the eye test for most. We still bend alot (raiders last drive)

The game would have ended with the Raiders turning it over on downs at the 30 if it wasn't for that terrible call on Logan Ryan.

9 Drives
Only 1 went for more than 50
7 drives that they gained less than 30 yards

On the season
35 Drives
9 that went more than 30 yards

Ya that's a lot of bending.

The game would have ended with the Raiders turning it over on downs at the 30 if it wasn't for that terrible call on Logan Ryan.

9 Drives
Only 1 went for more than 50
7 drives that they gained less than 30 yards

Ya that's a lot of bending.
Was that PI call as horrendous as it looked in person?

I'm happy they're 2-1 and should continue to improve. I look forward to seeing NE travel to a tough spot next Monday night and seeing how they react.

There is one result from a game. This one was a win.
How your opinion of what the future games will look like based upon this one is meaningless to me, and holds absolutely no value.

not that I had an opinion about how future games will look, but even if I did, why would you waste your time in responding? just go on with your day with your head shoved up wherever

I was there so I haven't watched the tape (4 hour drive home kills any chance of that) but my impression of the offense was that they moved the ball OK, but just short circuited on a number of drives. This is historically the way we have bad games, and IMO, is the real issue with the latest playoff losses. When we go into the mode of getting small chunks and wanting 12 play 70 yard drives, with 6 first downs, its very, very difficult to not have a play get botched and screw that up.
Our offense has always been best when it tries to rip off big chunks between the 20s, usually in the seams. Historically, when we have one of these games, that philosophy gets corrected. In the 4th quarter we seemed to be recognizing that.

I think that sums things up. They moved the ball pretty well. The 2 first and goals resulting in FG's were disappointing but such is life.
I would measure improvement in the offense as a reduction in negative plays; sacks, penalties and minus yard runs. I know I'm stating what may be obvious but I honestly believe that if they are in manageable 3rd downs, they can be very effective.

As for the nature of the topic posted, its really a matter of expectation and I for one at times take for granted that the AFC East title is ours even before the season has begun and anything short of a dominating performance against weaker teams is unacceptable. This perspective unfortunately does not allow me to enjoy the wins as much as I would otherwise if I were a Browns fan.

not that I had an opinion about how future games will look, but even if I did, why would you waste your time in responding? just go on with your day with your head shoved up wherever
Take your own advice, pal. You were the one who responded to me.

Well from reviewing the board it seems people are at various levels in dealing with suffering this devastating win.

My favorite topics today are the ones about the pathetic defense that allowed 9 points. How will we ever win anything with a defense ranked 2nd in yardage, 4th in points, 1st in pass yards, 2nd in opponent QB rating (57.4 is truly an embarassment) 1st in avg yards per attempt, 2nd in overall yards per play, first in Ints.

As has been pointed out on this board, this pourus defense allowed a rookie QBs to put up a total of passing yardage that would rank him 32nd in the league per game, and a QB rating that would be last in the league.
I mean come on, who can accept that, this defense sucks.

I am considering handing in my season tickets because I was entitled to 2 wins yesterday and I am embarrassed they only gave me 1.

I will sit back now and watch everyone explain to me how mortified they are that we have to endure that win.

Thank You for posting this. These are my exact sentiments with the mindless trashing that grows worse and worse here. The less some know the more they post their ignorant bile. If you don't like the Owner, Coach, or the players, PLEASE GO ROOT FOR SOME OTHER TEAM !!!!

There is not an infinite pool of CAP money, or an infinite number of Draft picks to use. Belichick has rebuilt a SB level club without ever dropping below 11 wins a season. You'll just have to suck it up, and accept that BB did not select or perhaps want your pet draft binky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes