PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Agony of Victory

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that sums things up. They moved the ball pretty well. The 2 first and goals resulting in FG's were disappointing but such is life.
I would measure improvement in the offense as a reduction in negative plays; sacks, penalties and minus yard runs. I know I'm stating what may be obvious but I honestly believe that if they are in manageable 3rd downs, they can be very effective.

As for the nature of the topic posted, its really a matter of expectation and I for one at times take for granted that the AFC East title is ours even before the season has begun and anything short of a dominating performance against weaker teams is unacceptable. This perspective unfortunately does not allow me to enjoy the wins as much as I would otherwise if I were a Browns fan.
History shows winning correlates to success, and does not show margin of victory compared to quality of opponent does.

Thank You for posting this. These are my exact sentiments with the mindless trashing that grows worse and worse here. The less some know the more they post their ignorant bile. If you don't like the Owner, Coach, or the players, PLEASE GO ROOT FOR SOME OTHER TEAM !!!!

There is not an infinite pool of CAP money, or an infinite number of Draft picks to use. Belichick has rebuilt a SB level club without ever dropping below 11 wins a season. You'll just have to suck it up, and accept that BB did not select or perhaps want your pet draft binky.
You have it backwards. They won't go root for another team, because it is THEIR team and the damn owner and coach are screwing it up because they won't listen to them.

defense could have been better, but wasn't horrible. Offense, now that was a problem. Get that OL fixed ASAP and we should be fine.

defense could have been better, but wasn't horrible. Offense, now that was a problem. Get that OL fixed ASAP and we should be fine.
241 yards and 9 points allowed gets 'not horrible'? Seriously?

Uncertainty is what makes watching football fun. It's only really exciting if there is a chance they will lose.

241 yards and 9 points allowed gets 'not horrible'? Seriously?
Guess you missed some of the terrible coverage and how the Raiders almost tied it up if not for a holding call...

Defense played ok, but there are areas of improvement to be done. If that was Peyton, Rodgers, Luck or Brees being held to 9 points and 241 yards, I'd be very very impressed, but it was a rookie QB and a terrible raiders team.

The game would have ended with the Raiders turning it over on downs at the 30 if it wasn't for that terrible call on Logan Ryan.

9 Drives
Only 1 went for more than 50
7 drives that they gained less than 30 yards

On the season
35 Drives
9 that went more than 30 yards

Ya that's a lot of bending.

You can use IF to explain away alot of things. If our offense could finish we would have won 28-9 and everyone would be much happier.

I agree it was a bad call, but bottom line is the Raiders were in very good position to tie that game. If Moore had caught the pass and the Raiders went on to score and we lost this would board would be Nuclear vs defcon 3.

Again I really like the way the defense is playing, just not as sold on it as some of you are based on the opponents we have faced thus far,

You are basing your argument on one half of the first game. The Pats are currently 19th on 3rd down defense. The Vikings had a 36% success rate on third down which was worse than the Raiders. In fact, Minnesota got two of their four third down conversions on their opening TD drive last week. Miami had a 53% success rate on third downs. That is why the Pats had such a bad third down success rate going into the game yesterday.

It was the second half of the first game that is skewing a lot of defensive stats.

This is a lucid and valid observation completely obtuse to the bile drivers.

The Pats ran out of gas, in the second half, playing in the Summer Miami heat, given that the DL was very thin, with many out with dings including Siliga, Jones, Buchanan, and Easley, so a proper rotation could not be implemented.

The Miami first half and the subsequent two games reveal just how good this Defense is becoming. On Offense the skill positions are fine and deep, while BB rebuilds the Offensive line on the fly, with young talent that he drafted for the job back in the Spring. Until that is completed, the Offense will appear spotty.

I like the talent BB added. Both Stork and Fleming appear to have good futures and Cannon is talented enough to be a good starter. He, like the rookies, is just raw playing LG, after only a few games at that position.

I still don't understand why some media members and fans are complaining that Revis is "allowing some completions." Uh, can you tell me who isn't? The supposed best corner in the game Sherman was thrown on several times last week against SD, and I just watched him give up the game-tying 2-point conversion to Demaryius Thomas last night against Denver in the end zone. And his "1b" Patrick Peterson gets thrown on constantly, but because he is a great KR everyone just forgets I guess?

I don't get it. Being a "shutdown corner" doesn't mean you have to literally SHUT THEM DOWN the entire game. You can allow a couple of throws, but if you're mostly eliminating your man from the game, you're doing your job exceedingly well. Revis is doing just that. I don't understand the complaining.

Guess you missed some of the terrible coverage and how the Raiders almost tied it up if not for a holding call...
Terrible coverage? They allowed an amount of passing yards and a passer rating that would rank last among 32 teams.

Defense played ok, but there are areas of improvement to be done. If that was Peyton, Rodgers, Luck or Brees being held to 9 points and 241 yards, I'd be very very impressed, but it was a rookie QB and a terrible raiders team.
So you are one of those guys that think we should get a 3 and out every drive. Gotcha.

Keep it. History has proven that you'll need it far more often than I will. Take it to your Yankee Elimination Party this week.

It's good to see the underwear brigade still in full force...........kumbaya muthahucka's

Someone posted the stats of the man Revis is covering somewhere else.
It is something like 7-18-83 yards.
That is about as good as it gets.

Take your own advice, pal. You were the one who responded to me.

of course I did......but I'm not complaining about you......you're the one always complaining about the complainers.....but guess what??? they're still here and they'll always be here......get over yourself

1. the defense has played well throughout three games. I keep seeing commentators talking about how revis has "allowed some receptions" but, he ALWAYS has allowed some receptions. when two great players go at it you are going to get some on you. either way he always has been in position to make a play.

I think it's a little different this time- he has a new set of rules to get used to, in this DPI happy league.

Well from reviewing the board it seems people are at various levels in dealing with suffering this devastating win.

My favorite topics today are the ones about the pathetic defense that allowed 9 points. How will we ever win anything with a defense ranked 2nd in yardage, 4th in points, 1st in pass yards, 2nd in opponent QB rating (57.4 is truly an embarassment) 1st in avg yards per attempt, 2nd in overall yards per play, first in Ints.

As has been pointed out on this board, this pourus defense allowed a rookie QBs to put up a total of passing yardage that would rank him 32nd in the league per game, and a QB rating that would be last in the league.
I mean come on, who can accept that, this defense sucks.

I am considering handing in my season tickets because I was entitled to 2 wins yesterday and I am embarrassed they only gave me 1.

I will sit back now and watch everyone explain to me how mortified they are that we have to endure that win.

I agree with most of what you said Andy.

With that being said, what is the point at which we should worry about the inconsistent pass rush ? I don't mean this as critique but honestly wonder why we could not produce a single sack against the Raiders after last weeks fireworks. Was it by design ? Why should I not worry about the struggles against Miami and Oakland ? I am just trying to make sense of what I saw.

Finally, the otherthing to keep in mind is that the defensive rankings are obviously connected to the opponents we have faced so far. They will be way more indicative once we are 2-3 games into the gauntlet that is the rest of the season.

I agree with most of what you said Andy.

With that being said, what is the point at which we should worry about the inconsistent pass rush ? I don't mean this as critique but honestly wonder why we could not produce a single sack against the Raiders after last weeks fireworks. Was it by design ? Why should I not worry about the struggles against Miami and Oakland ? I am just trying to make sense of what I saw.

Finally, the otherthing to keep in mind is that the defensive rankings are obviously connected to the opponents we have faced so far. They will be way more indicative once we are 2-3 games into the gauntlet that is the rest of the season.

a win is a win.......there's nothing to talk about

Don't always agree with you, but I think this is a pretty good take on the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes