Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Well from reviewing the board it seems people are at various levels in dealing with suffering this devastating win.

My favorite topics today are the ones about the pathetic defense that allowed 9 points. How will we ever win anything with a defense ranked 2nd in yardage, 4th in points, 1st in pass yards, 2nd in opponent QB rating (57.4 is truly an embarassment) 1st in avg yards per attempt, 2nd in overall yards per play, first in Ints.

As has been pointed out on this board, this pourus defense allowed a rookie QBs to put up a total of passing yardage that would rank him 32nd in the league per game, and a QB rating that would be last in the league.
I mean come on, who can accept that, this defense sucks.

I am considering handing in my season tickets because I was entitled to 2 wins yesterday and I am embarrassed they only gave me 1.

I will sit back now and watch everyone explain to me how mortified they are that we have to endure that win.

Well from reviewing the board it seems people are at various levels in dealing with suffering this devastating win.

My favorite topics today are the ones about the pathetic defense that allowed 9 points. How will we ever win anything with a defense ranked 2nd in yardage, 4th in points, 1st in pass yards, 2nd in opponent QB rating (57.4 is truly an embarassment) 1st in avg yards per attempt, 2nd in overall yards per play, first in Ints.

As has been pointed out on this board, this pourus defense allowed a rookie QBs to put up a total of passing yardage that would rank him 32nd in the league per game, and a QB rating that would be last in the league.

I am considering handing in my season tickets because I was entitled to 2 wins yesterday and I am embarrassed they only gave me 1.

I will sit back now and watch everyone explain to me how mortified they are that we have to endure that win.
Such is the climate fostered by the ADD fantasy football Chicken Littles. Oh, and don't forget: Danny Amendola will singlehandedly ruin this franchise.

Knock it off. That type of blatant homerism will earn you well-deserved ridicule. There are no silver linings for all of the Chief Dark Clouds around here.

My favorite is the thread entitled, "On a positive note..." and no one in it (last I checked) mentioned that on a positive note we won the fricken game.

"On a positive note" is something you say when you're pulling a good sign out of a tough loss. People seem to think that every time we play a team that has less talent than us we should blow them out or it doesn't count. Drives me nuts.

1. the defense has played well throughout three games. I keep seeing commentators talking about how revis has "allowed some receptions" but, he ALWAYS has allowed some receptions. when two great players go at it you are going to get some on you. either way he always has been in position to make a play.

2. You cant blame the receivers for not getting open when brady is under pressure almost every play. when he did get time yesterday, he was hitting those "maligned" receivers like lafell

3. I think the OL will sort itself out. I think bill finally saw that Devey wasnt working and its Storks job to lose now. he seemed to play with some fire. and when he came in the line automatically played better. they need to be coached better on the fundamentals and have some continuity with the lineup out there.

4. every week, Gronkowski is looking better and better. Now if we can start letting Dobson shake off the rust as well, this offense will be back to its usual ways by november.

Who's complaining about our defense?

The OP is right on about the Defense.
Lest I be accused of being a Chicken Little about the Offense, I'll just say that I'm optimistic that it will soon be all that we know and hope it can be.

The funny thing is when the offense was lights out against bad teams and the defense was giving up tons of yards and points and winning games 31-28, there was less *****ing than when the Pats play great on defense and struggle on offense and win 16-9.

This team is similar to the 2003 so far. Granted the defense isn't as good as that defense (at least not yet) and the offense is worse (but not much), but that team won with great defense and mediocre offense.

The Pats are 2-1. I would have thought 3-0 looking at the schedule, but playing in Miami is always a wild card.

There is no team who looks heads and shoulders better than anyone else in the AFC except maybe Cincy who always fall apart in the playoffs anyway. Denver could easily be 0-3 right now if Luck didn't shoot himself in the foot and Jamal Charles didn't go out early in the game. There is a long season ahead of us and a lot can happen.

Aren't these the type of victories the chicken littles claimed to want a few years ago?

Chicken Littles circa 2011-2012 said:
Derrrrr, I'd rather win 16-9 than 35-31 cuz defense is what wins championships...BB is an idiot derrrr

That's not to say there aren't issues, but the D looks pretty damned good and getting this OL up to speed is more or less the key to getting the offense off the ground. It's perhaps easier said than done, but not impossible.

By your reference to "season's tix, I'm assuming u were at the game yesterday. I was n I thought I heard booing more then once. Obviously, they too were in "agony" or simply ill informed

By your reference to "season's tix, I'm assuming u were at the game yesterday. I was n I thought I heard booing more then once. Obviously, they too were in "agony" or simply ill informed

I was there and the only noticeable booing was when the offense failed to score with a 1st and goal at the 3. Truth be told, they did suck right then.

Its tough...the D has played well but doesnt pass the eye test for most. We still bend alot (raiders last drive), we still have 3rd down issues, we still dont rush the qb well. Mix in the fact we havent played the most offensively gifted teams or QBs but rather 2 bottom feeding teams the last 2 weeks.

Im afraid until we get a quality win this will remain the tone around here.

The players have changed, but the scheme remains the same, really wish we had a more attacking aggressive defensive philosophy.

What kills me is that the fans (and me included) complain every year at this time how bad the offense/defense is and in the end, the Pats end up winning the division and at least 12 games.

Have faith my friends! The Pats will put it together. This happens every year. A win is a win. Did the Pats get lucky? Sure but they do every year! God loves Brady. See Giselle as evidence.

complaining is not as bad as complaining about complainers

Its tough...the D has played well but doesnt pass the eye test for most. We still bend alot (raiders last drive), we still have 3rd down issues, we still dont rush the qb well. Mix in the fact we havent played the most offensively gifted teams or QBs but rather 2 bottom feeding teams the last 2 weeks.

You are overstating it. The Raiders' longest drive was 57 yards for a field goal. They went three and out on three of nine drives. The Raiders crossed midfield three times on eight drives (they had another time where they started on the NE 48). The Raiders offense's third down conversion rate was 38.5% (5 of 13) which is good (if the Pats averaged that for the season, they would be the 11th best 3rd down defense in the league right now).

And rushing the QB, Carr is a mobile guy. He has been sacked twice all year. The Texans didn't sack him either. The Pats did pressure Carr, but he rolled out of the pocket and made some of his best plays of the game on the run. I think after a while the Pats played a lot of contain because Carr was less dangerous inside the pocket.

The Pats did very little bending yesterday. I really don't know what people were watching. I guess it is because they had a lot of plays only picking up 3-4 yards at a time on a 50 yard drive, people think they were marching down the field.

Last edited:
Sorry Rob0729 but I was talking about all season not just yesterday maybe I should have made that clearer. I believe they quoted us 3rd or 5th worst in getting off the field on 3rd down during yesterdays game(fwiw Seattle is the worst if you can believe it). So not talking about Oak game, talking about the season thus far.

Carr had alot of time on may occasions and did make plays with his legs as well. I am not saying I am down on our defense. I am saying I understand why it is viewed that way by some.

The players have changed, but the scheme remains the same, really wish we had a more attacking aggressive defensive philosophy.
I do not understand how you consider a defense to have bent when it allows 241 yards of total offense and 9 points, both of which per game would rank #1 in the NFL.
If you hold a weak team to less than the weakest team in the league gets, how can that not pass the eye test.
If you think that a great defense would hold teams to no first downs or shut them out every week, I don't know what to tell you.

I am reminded of the phrase "On any given Sunday".

The difference between the league's best team and worst team is very little, and that changes with every week. On any game day, any team can find a way to win against even the best opponent, and this past weekend, Oakland tried very hard to put on a good game. Those guys get paid to play too, and they didn't want to end up being 0-3. So they fought, and fought hard. I give them props for that.

Coach Belichick has said, on numerous occasions, that the only stat that matters is the number of wins. As long as you score more points than the other team, then you win. I don't mind winning ugly, as long as they win.

As to Miami, the division games are always a dogfight, and IIRC, we seem to split the games with Miami each season. It's the result of seeing each other twice a year. You pretty much KNOW all the players, the plays, the philosophy. It's actually pretty hard to pull something new on a division opponent.

But I enjoyed the game. I really believe that with a few more games under their belt, the O-Line will gel and from that point on, Brady will have the time he needs. Beyond that, I really don't have a lot to complain about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots