PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Actual Big Board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Tony Pauline has "some insight" into how teams are stacking their big boards for the first round. It makes for some surprising choices. If true, most mocks are well off:

1.Andrew Luck-QB-Stanford

2.Robert Griffin-QB-Baylor

3.Dontari Poe-NT-Memphis :eek:

4.Melvin Ingram-OLB-South Carolina :eek:

5.Trent Richardson-RB- Alabama

6. Matt Kalil-OT-USC

7-Justin Blackmon-WR-Oklahoma State

8.Morris Claiborne-CB-LSU

9.Fletcher Cox-DT-Mississippi State

10.Quinton Coples-DE-North Carolina

11.David DeCastro-OG-Stanford

12.Dre’ Kirkpatrick-CB-Alabama

13.Michael Brockers-DT-LSU

14.Jonathan Martin-OT-Stanford

15.Michael Floyd-WR- Notre Dame

16.Cordy Glenn-OL-Georgia

17.Devon Still-DT- Penn State

18. Whitney Mercilus-DE- Illinois

19.Coby Fleener-TE- Stanford :eek:

20.Nick Perry-DE- USC

21.Luke Kuechly-LB- Boston College

22.Kevin Zeitler-OG- Wisconsin

23.Ryan Tannehill-QB- Texas A&M

24.Doug Martin-RB- Boise State

25.Jerel Worthy-DT- Michigan State

26.Bobby Wagner-LB- Utah State :eek:

27.Stephon Gilmore-CB- South Carolina

28.Kendall Wright-WR- Baylor

29.Dwayne Allen-TE- Clemson

30.Donta Hightower-LB- Alabama

31.Kendall Reyes-DT- UConn

32.Stephen Hill-WR- Georgia Tech

33.Riley Reiff-OG- Iowa :eek:

Courtney Upshaw and Mark Barron don't feature although presumably aren't too far outside. If this board is accurate, I'm thinking Kendall Reyes or Wright and a trade back look the best options.

Will be an interesting test of his contacts on draft day.

I'm pretty sure this is just a case of teams spreading misinformation to either try to get guys to slip, or have others taken earlier than expected. I see no logical way in which any team can rank Dontari Poe ahead of guys like Matt Kalil. That's nothing against Poe, but its crazy to rank him that high. The same with Reilly Reiff at 33. He says at the bottom that more teams see him as a pure OG, although he still seems to be the consensus #2 OT in the draft. I think some teams may be using Mr Pauline as a puppet, whether he knows that or not I'm not sure.

And one final note, I actually think we might have a shot at having Courtney Upshaw fall to us (although this piece has nothing to do with it). I said at the start of the offseason that I thought the Senior Bowl would be his peak in terms of market value, then he would slide because he isn't an elite athlete. If he is there at 27, or even in the early 20's I would be all over it. While other teams can make the mistake of drafting athletes, I would be drafting good football players.

If it is true, it gives a lie to this "combine doesn't matter" tripe. Poe @ 3, Ingram @4, Wright 28 and Stephen Hill @32.

I'm pretty sure this is just a case of teams spreading misinformation to either try to get guys to slip, or have others taken earlier than expected. I see no logical way in which any team can rank Dontari Poe ahead of guys like Matt Kalil. That's nothing against Poe, but its crazy to rank him that high. The same with Reilly Reiff at 33. He says at the bottom that more teams see him as a pure OG, although he still seems to be the consensus #2 OT in the draft. I think some teams may be using Mr Pauline as a puppet, whether he knows that or not I'm not sure.

And one final note, I actually think we might have a shot at having Courtney Upshaw fall to us (although this piece has nothing to do with it). I said at the start of the offseason that I thought the Senior Bowl would be his peak in terms of market value, then he would slide because he isn't an elite athlete. If he is there at 27, or even in the early 20's I would be all over it. While other teams can make the mistake of drafting athletes, I would be drafting good football players.

Don't see M. Brockers in there either. Upshaw and Brockers would be interesting.

No way in hell is Melvin Ingram worth a 1.4 pick IMO.

Don't see M. Brockers in there either.

Remove your Brockers Blockers, Bro. ;)

It'll be interesting to see how much of this pans out.

It's the season of FlamDoodling, HornSwaggling, and general all around Bamboozling, of course...

But the three most startling ascensions ~ Poe, Ingram, and Fleener ~ are absolutely 100% realistic.

I'm not saying they should go that high or shouldn't, but "should" has nothing to do with it.

As for Riley Reiff kicking inside, that's just ludicrous, and warrants no further comment.

Remove your Brockers Blockers, Bro. ;)

It'll be interesting to see how much of this pans out.

It's the season of FlamDoodling, HornSwaggling, and general all around Bamboozling, of course...

But the three most startling ascensions ~ Poe, Ingram, and Fleener ~ are absolutely 100% realistic.

I'm not saying they should go that high or shouldn't, but "should" has nothing to do with it.

As for Riley Reiff kicking inside, that's just ludicrous, and warrants no further comment.

Whats worse is he either the 3rd or 4th OG depending on where you think Cordy Glenn will play. I don't see how they could possibly have Kevin Zeitler above Reiff. The more I look at this the more I think the entire thing is BS.

Great Thread, by the way, Brother Manx. :cool:

And my compliments on your judicial use of :eek:'s!! ;)

~ Brockers never appeared ~ even in my mind's eye ~ on any of my Mocks.

~ Poe disappeared this week, of course, though he was only borderline in the first place.

~ I was never entirely comfortable spending a #1 on him, considering the alternatives.

~ Fleener is on the brink of dropping off. This is a turn I and MayoClinic foresaw a long time ago.

~ I've been hollering about Fleener since Nam...But his Stock's getting too rich.

This, of course, is precisely why I wanted to load up on Wing Backs while they were still cheap, last Spring ~ and plentifull, too. A year ago when everybody thought I was insane to want to scoop up Depth of Talent at Flex End and Wing Back, we could've moved on any of the following:

#43 ~ XE Kyle Rudolph
#47 ~ WB Lance Kendricks
#102 ~ WB Jordan Cameron
#129 ~ WB Julius Thomas
UFA ~ WB Brett Brackett
UFA ~ XE Will Yeatman

Regarding Yeatman: Obviously it doesn't matter, if you don't keep'm.

I've been pounding the table about employing 3 Tight End Sets for a couple of years, now.

The notion lately seems to be gaining some advocacy, and for that, gentlemen, I salute you. :cool:

Whats worse is he either the 3rd or 4th OG depending on where you think Cordy Glenn will play. I don't see how they could possibly have Kevin Zeitler above Reiff. The more I look at this the more I think the entire thing is BS.

Whoa!! Zeitler at #22!! Missed that!! :eek:

I love Zeitler, but God bless'm, there are OCEANS of O Guard talent ~ both Direct and Convertible ~ that are better prospects, this year...I'm sure a lot of the Market Love for'm is because of his O Line's reputation...though it certainly hasn't done anything for your man Oglesby.

Great Thread, by the way, Brother Manx. :cool:

And my compliments on your judicial use of :eek:'s!! ;)

~ Brockers never appeared ~ even in my mind's eye ~ on any of my Mocks.

~ Poe disappeared this week, of course, though he was only borderline in the first place.

~ I was never entirely comfortable spending a #1 on him, considering the alternatives.

~ Fleener is on the brink of dropping off. This is a turn I and MayoClinic foresaw a long time ago.

~ I've been hollering about Fleener since Nam...But his Stock's getting too rich.

This, of course, is precisely why I wanted to load up on Wing Backs while they were still cheap, last Spring ~ and plentifull, too. A year ago when everybody thought I was insane to want to scoop up Depth of Talent at Flex End and Wing Back, we could've moved on any of the following:

#43 ~ XE Kyle Rudolph
#47 ~ WB Lance Kendricks
#102 ~ WB Jordan Cameron
#129 ~ WB Julius Thomas
UFA ~ WB Brett Brackett
UFA ~ XE Will Yeatman

I've been pounding the table about employing 3 Tight End Sets for a couple of years, now.

The notion lately seems to be gaining some advocacy, and for that, gentlemen, I salute you. :cool:

I could easily see Fleener rocketing all the way to the upper teens, this year, in the wake of the eye-opening performances of Gronk, Aaron the Navigator, and friends...remember what happened with Tyson Alualu a couple years ago, as the "34" D took off?? :eek:

This is not our list, rather a list from what a number of teams board(s) look like; don’t kill the messenger!!

This is the last line of the article. And it's all you need to read to safely disregard the rest of it.

#43 ~ XE Kyle Rudolph
#47 ~ WB Lance Kendricks
#102 ~ WB Jordan Cameron
#129 ~ WB Julius Thomas
UFA ~ WB Brett Brackett
UFA ~ XE Will Yeatman

What was your opinion last year on Virgil Green from Nevada, who could've been selected w/ the pick used instead on Markell Carter?

Why Poe? I think it is the "Suh Effect"

Last edited:
What was your opinion last year on Virgil Green from Nevada, who could've been selected w/ the pick used instead on Markell Carter?

To be honest with you, Brother Stone, I never cared for'm as a Prospect, though I respected that he was a very popular one. I found him to be one dimensional: too stiff, not much'f a Navigator, not much'f a Blocker, either.

To be honest with you, Brother Stone, I never cared for'm as a Prospect, though I respected that he was a very popular one. I found him to be one dimensional: too stiff, not much'f a Navigator, not much'f a Blocker, either.

Fair points.

As for the aforementioned Big Board: if it's even close to accurate, then my fear that Cox, Mercilus & Perry will all be gone by 27 will be realized. And I doubt that Upshaw will be available at 27 either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe