PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 NFL Draft Prospects

I'm high on Drake Maye and wouldn't be shook on Caleb at 2, but prefer the size/prototype vs. trends. Here's my current personal opinions on the QB class this year.

Maye- In my opinion with the size, mobility, arm strength.. he reminds me of the perfect blend of Trevor Lawrence and Josh Allen.

C.William- Closest thing to Mahomes since Mahomes.

J. Daniels- If we could trade back for capital, staying in the top 6-10 and grab him here, that would be a steal with what we got in additional picks.

Bo Nix- He wasn't successful at Auburn. Oregon's offensive scheme never translates to success in the NFL and spread offense is QB stat friendly. He seems like a minor upgrade over Mac, his arm strength doesn't impress me and yeah he's mobile, but not really. Mac's stats>Bo's.

Penix- Dime dropper with WR talent. Mac had this too and put up better stats, no thanks.

JJ McCarthy- If we can get MHJ and JJ in the second or trade down for capital, grab a T and JJ in the 2nd.. I'd view this as a great draft as I don't think we're competitive next year regardless with any of the above.
We could draft Penix Jr and a couple of those WRs make it easy for him. :)

We could draft Penix Jr and a couple of those WRs make it easy for him. :)
Penix Jr. has a lot of talent. But, he's only had one healthy season. Because of serious past and considerable enhanced injury concerns, I wouldn't draft him as our QB 1.

I'm watching Beck's Bowl Game and the announcement of his decision. I'd like to see him drafted by the Pats but definitely not with a Top 3 selection. Beck or Daniels were my earlier wishes, but I think my previous opinion of Williams may have been off due to media reports. The dude does bring it.

Jayden Daniels is now #4 on Kipers board. Not a sure thing anymore that pats can get him. They need to lose the last 3 games

Jayden Daniels is now #4 on Kipers board. Not a sure thing anymore that pats can get him. They need to lose the last 3 games
Agreed. I know it's not a popular opinion (if not outright heresy), but, I hope they end up with no worse than the #3 overall pick in each assigned pick that they have in every round that they have an assigned pick. Basically, that they don't win another game the rest of the season. And, of no less importance, the person making the personnel decisions is highly competent.

I just want Drake Maye, he ticks all of your prototypical boxes. Has the Size, Arm strength and the mobility, the other thing he has going for him, is the lack of supporting talent around him when you compare to others within this draft. The only WR he thrown to this season was Tez Walker.

I just want Drake Maye, he ticks all of your prototypical boxes. Has the Size, Arm strength and the mobility, the other thing he has going for him, is the lack of supporting talent around him when you compare to others within this draft. The only WR he thrown to this season was Tez Walker.

The limited games I saw Maye looked like an NFL QB. Big, strong, and tall, but most importantly was unflappable under pressure.

My issue with Maye is inconsistent accuracy and velocity on throws over 20 yards. He can throw deep, but I find most of his throws over 20 yards tend to lack a bit of zip and would be very inviting to NFL calibre DB's

My issue with Maye is inconsistent accuracy and velocity on throws over 20 yards. He can throw deep, but I find most of his throws over 20 yards tend to lack a bit of zip and would be very inviting to NFL calibre DB's

. I don't see it. When there is a defender between Maye and the WR, Maye puts a little air under the ball to get it over the DB. When the WR is on a slant, Maye throws the ball on a rope. Maybe you can tell me where on the highlight video you see a lack of velocity on throws over 20 yards? Again there should be some arc on the ball when throwing over the top of a DB.

Having said that, Maye does not have an absolute cannon of an arm, but he is 6'4" tall with a lot of growth to come. His accuracy is a bit down, but his OL and WRs are average at best, so I think the completion % can be accepted. Maye moves well in the pocket, seems to have no fear, and displays all kinds of passes, flips, left handed, etc., which is impressive.

What is missing in my opinion, and I am not sure if this is a minor or major concern, is Maye moving through his progressions. He seems to look at one initial receiver and then throws to that receiver. I am not sure if this is a disqualifying issue or not.

was thinking last night watching the Montana Grizz...that kid Junior Bergen is talented. WR/Return guy and seems like a good 6th/7th rounder than would do well in New England.

. I don't see it. When there is a defender between Maye and the WR, Maye puts a little air under the ball to get it over the DB. When the WR is on a slant, Maye throws the ball on a rope. Maybe you can tell me where on the highlight video you see a lack of velocity on throws over 20 yards? Again there should be some arc on the ball when throwing over the top of a DB.

Having said that, Maye does not have an absolute cannon of an arm, but he is 6'4" tall with a lot of growth to come. His accuracy is a bit down, but his OL and WRs are average at best, so I think the completion % can be accepted. Maye moves well in the pocket, seems to have no fear, and displays all kinds of passes, flips, left handed, etc., which is impressive.

What is missing in my opinion, and I am not sure if this is a minor or major concern, is Maye moving through his progressions. He seems to look at one initial receiver and then throws to that receiver. I am not sure if this is a disqualifying issue or not.

You're absolutely correct about his O-Line (which has been subpar to downright horrible), and nothing much in the way as having more than one decent receiver. But that he can still put up the numbers that he has, and having the whole package physically (and said to have a solid mindset), I would have loved it if we drafted him. That probably won't happen since we beat Denver and will probably beat the Jets, or worse, Buffalo too!

A bit off topic, but this will be . . . interesting. :p [Apparently the K is not silent.]

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back