PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2016 Patriots Will Be a Juggernaut

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'd be an excellent player in the Pats system, I agree.

With shiftier guys like Dion Lewis and James White, I think we'll look more towards adding more of a value signing at the position, although I believe the draft is a must. Your example of Morris would be fine, and although I'm not the biggest Blount fan, I'd be just fine with him returning as well--as long as we add someone else as well.

I'm
Not a fan of Blount his running style bothers me he is a not real bruiser for for his size and not very shifty and it seems like he does not have great vision and he can never seem to get going.

He struggles against good defenses some of it is some of it is the offensive line where he has to deal
With lineman getting no push and getting drivin into the backfield

Yep. Just because I don't get all excited about AFCCG doesn't make me a pink hat you loser. You've brought zero, and I mean zero to any discussion (at least in this thread) that wasn't pink hat-ish or a homer. Now that you've outed yourself as a homer your views are even worse. I'm not a homer, or I at least try not to be. I see things for what they are, you apparently are incapable of doing so. As a result, you repeat the same thing over and over with no real substance.

I've offered the following:

A non homer view of the Pats as currently constituted. As an aside, Mike Florio pointed out today that the Pats flaws were exposed in Denver. Just as I've said before.

How the Pats secondary somewhat underperformed along with the accompanying link to the data.

What they need to not be what they were this year. As far as receivers go, I'm not alone in that sentiment. Quite the opposite as an upgrade to a very good WR is a good thing it would seem.

What have you offered that has any real substance?

Answer- Zero

The Patriots have a very good young defense that's all under contract, the Patriots have a top five scoring offense that only needs a couple of pieces to fill it out for next year and have the potential to have yet another top five scoring offense with the best QB in football running it. The Patriots have as deep a bench as anyone in football and almost all of those players saw significant playing time this season and will benefit from that experience. The Patriots have the best combination of kickers in the league and always have one of the better ST units in football. The Patriots will be returning almost all of a team that went to the AFCCG this season and has more playoff experience than any of their competition. The Patriots are in excellent cap shape with literally no key players up for free agency while their three division opponents as well as as their top competition for the AFC, Denver, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh all face serious free agent issues this offseason. This is why the Patriots will already be considered AFC favorites next season, and that's not homerism it's all fact, so go ahead and make your case for any of the other 15 teams pink hat, or you can just go ahead and quit on them now as you really seem to want to anyways.

Seriously, little crybaby b.tches like you don't deserve this team and everything it has and will accomplish. You are a whiney little frontrunner who is never satisfied and only support your team when they win it all, and that is the actual definition of a little front-running pink hat b.tch.

He'd be an excellent player in the Pats system, I agree.

With shiftier guys like Dion Lewis and James White, I think we'll look more towards adding more of a value signing at the position, although I believe the draft is a must. Your example of Morris would be fine, and although I'm not the biggest Blount fan, I'd be just fine with him returning as well--as long as we add someone else as well.

Disagree on this SUP, imo the draft is not the answer at RB but might help with their needs at OT, WR, and possibly LB. I think they can easily afford one of the to RBs on this year's market and should go hard after one. 5 million a year is with it for Forte and he would instantly upgrade their run game, passing attack out of the backfield on really downs, and would do more to help their young OL than bringing more in would. For me RB is the to priority in free agency and I don't want anything to do with the also rans like Morris? I think Belichick realizes this is their top need and will make a run at the top RBs. They can't afford to go bargain basement this free agency when it comes to RB.

As much as I would like any of those the guys, they will probably sign elsewhere for more money.
I do however think it's funny that people think they need a tough guy coach to get results, I'm not saying anything about tough guy coaches or any other coaches personality but I think it's funny that fans want a tough guy so much considering thy wouldn't know anything about his abilities as a couch.

I wonder what the chances are that Scar could come out of retirement for one year.

I wouldn't be surprised if BB reached out to him as part of due diligence before letting Guglielmo go.

Seems like Scar has been helping with scouting and evaluations since he left, and maybe a coup of years away has allowed his batteries to recharge a bit.

Last edited:
The Patriots will be back in 2016, as long as TB remains a viable QB and does not join PM in his dotage. RB and WR are the only weaknesses, and WR is not truly a weakness. While WRs cannot be drafted and contribute their rookie seasons, RBs frequently can.

I'd add a high draft outside tackle if any are worth considering at the end of the second round.

I'm looking forward to the 2016 post season.

I wonder what the chances are that Scar could come out of retirement for one year.

I wouldn't be surprised if BB reached out to him as part of due diligence before letting Guglielmo go.

Seems like Scar has been helping with scouting and evaluations since he left, and maybe a coup of years away has allowed his batteries to recharge a bit.
I suppose its possible but I dont see him coming out of retirement.

I wonder how much of this year was the loss of Wendell and Connolly, how much was just a bad/inexperienced OL that played more like it should have after last year's group overachieved, and how much was a bad job by the OL coach.

I wonder how much of this year was the loss of Wendell and Connolly, how much was just a bad/inexperienced OL that played more like it should have after last year's group overachieved, and how much was a bad job by the OL coach.

And Solder going down. That de-stabilized the line and was the first domino to fall in what became an inverse of 2014.

The 2015 Patriots were a top level team, despite suffering the most injuries in the NFL. They have the vast majority of their players - and almost all of their key ones - signed for 2016. There is no reason to think they won't be a top level team again.

Areas to improve:
1. Offensive line. Top priority.
2. Wide receiver. Edelman is fantastic. Martin is useful. Amendola and LaFell may move on, or if they stay, get paid a lot less. I'd like to add a big play guy, but I'm not sure who that guy is. Dobson SHOULD be that guy, but sadly it's not looking like it will be. Oh how I wish they could find a reasonable way to get Calvin Johnson to agree to a deal, sign for cheaper than his current contract, and then not retire, and play for 2 years for the Pats.
3. Running back. I want Marshawn Lynch to pair with Dion Lewis.
4. Tight end. Maybe Chandler needed one year to get used to things. I don't know. But he was a big disappointment and I'd like another quality TE to pair with Gronk.
5. Cornerback. This one may be fixed in-house with Roberts. I mean, Ryan and Butler were both very good this year, so it's not an area of weakness. But of course I'd love to get even better here.

OL can be fixed by getting healthy, and by adding another quality interior lineman. WR can be improved potentially by one addition. Running back will automatically improve with the return of Lewis, but I think adding Lynch would be huge. And there's probably no reason why they couldn't get him. No idea on the TE situation, and I think CB solves itself.

In other words, to improve an already elite team won't take too much, fortunately. And then we have to hope for good health.

The Patriots have a very good young defense that's all under contract, the Patriots have a top five scoring offense that only needs a couple of pieces to fill it out for next year and have the potential to have yet another top five scoring offense with the best QB in football running it. The Patriots have as deep a bench as anyone in football and almost all of those players saw significant playing time this season and will benefit from that experience. The Patriots have the best combination of kickers in the league and always have one of the better ST units in football. The Patriots will be returning almost all of a team that went to the AFCCG this season and has more playoff experience than any of their competition. The Patriots are in excellent cap shape with literally no key players up for free agency while their three division opponents as well as as their top competition for the AFC, Denver, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh all face serious free agent issues this offseason. This is why the Patriots will already be considered AFC favorites next season, and that's not homerism it's all fact, so go ahead and make your case for any of the other 15 teams pink hat, or you can just go ahead and quit on them now as you really seem to want to anyways.

Seriously, little crybaby b.tches like you don't deserve this team and everything it has and will accomplish. You are a whiney little frontrunner who is never satisfied and only support your team when they win it all, and that is the actual definition of a little front-running pink hat b.tch.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I watch every game, and have for years. When I was deployed I did whatever it took to watch the local teams of they were on. Just because you have a small pea sized brain and don't demand Championships when your team has the ultimate ability to do so is troubling. That is the ultimate description of a non hardcore fan. You aren't a true fan. You just are a follower that has nothing constructive to bring to the argument. The Pats are this, the Pats are that blah blah blah is all I hear. Pom poms and all.

When you actually decide to invest in a team emotionally and all, then you can talk to me. Until then, you keep on keeping on. If the Pats follow your plan, they will be doing the same as they are this year.

Watching from home. And that's not good enough for me. Not when you have TB.

I think Belichick realizes this is their top need and will make a run at the top RBs. They can't afford to go bargain basement this free agency when it comes to RB.

OG: Mason, Jackson,Kline

RB: Lewis, White, Gaffney, Bolden

Somehow, I don't think that Belichick considers signing a top RB the top priority in FA.
======

I think that posters didn't appreciate Connolly and Wendell when they were here, even when they were our SB guards. These posters wanted anyone by these two old vets. belichick brought in Mason and Jackson, and everyone was happy that we had our two starters for the rest of Brady'd career.

I think that we missed a step. The one where Mason and Jackson actually show that they are capable better than average OG's in the NFL. It is not even clear that Kline is an OK backup. Most certainly wanted him cut in the past.

OG: Mason, Jackson,Kline

RB: Lewis, White, Gaffney, Bolden

Somehow, I don't think that Belichick considers signing a top RB the top priority in FA.
======

I think that posters didn't appreciate Connolly and Wendell when they were here, even when they were our SB guards. These posters wanted anyone by these two old vets. belichick brought in Mason and Jackson, and everyone was happy that we had our two starters for the rest of Brady'd career.

I think that we missed a step. The one where Mason and Jackson actually show that they are capable better than average OG's in the NFL. It is not even clear that Kline is an OK backup. Most certainly wanted him cut in the past.

Wendell was penciled in to be the starter. The only guy they needed to replace (so they thought) was Connolly. Turns out they had to replace:

LT - Solder (injured, replaced eventually by Vollmer)
G - Wendell (injured)
C - Stork (out for half the year)
G - Connolly (retired)
RT - Vollmer (because he moved to LT)

So it turns out that they had to actually replace every single starter from last year's offensive line, at their given position. Only Stork ended up back at the same spot.

Pos - SB 49 Starter - 2016 AFCCG Starter
LT - Solder - Vollmer (significant downgrade, especially as Vollmer was hobbled by injury)
LG - Connolly - Kline (significant downgrade)
C - Stork - Stork (downgrade as Stork was not right since his concussion)
RG - Wendell - Mason (significant downgrade)
RT - Vollmer - Cannon (gigantic downgrade)

So the plan was to replace just one guy (Connolly), but they effectively ended up replacing basically the entire line. No wonder they sucked. And I don't know how any team can really prepare for that. It's a miracle they went as far as they did.

Wendell was penciled in to be the starter. The only guy they needed to replace (so they thought) was Connolly. Turns out they had to replace:

LT - Solder (injured, replaced eventually by Vollmer)
G - Wendell (injured)
C - Stork (out for half the year)
G - Connolly (retired)
RT - Vollmer (because he moved to LT)

So it turns out that they had to actually replace every single starter from last year's offensive line, at their given position. Only Stork ended up back at the same spot.

Pos - SB 49 Starter - 2016 AFCCG Starter
LT - Solder - Vollmer (significant downgrade, especially as Vollmer was hobbled by injury)
LG - Connolly - Kline (significant downgrade)
C - Stork - Stork (downgrade as Stork was not right since his concussion)
RG - Wendell - Mason (significant downgrade)
RT - Vollmer - Cannon (gigantic downgrade)

So the plan was to replace just one guy (Connolly), but they effectively ended up replacing basically the entire line. No wonder they sucked. And I don't know how any team can really prepare for that. It's a miracle they went as far as they did.

I agree.

How many of these 9 do you think that we need to replace in this offseason? We should also note that Vollmer is in his contract year.

Solder, Mason, Stork, Jackson, Vollmer
Cannon, Fleming, Kline, Andrews

A HEALTHY season for Brady, Gronk, Edelman, Lewis and a decent OL.

Is that so much to ask for? If that wish is granted we win the Super Bowl.

How many of these 9 do you think that we need to replace in this offseason? We should also note that Vollmer is in his contract year.

Cannon, Fleming & Kline need to replaced.

I agree.

Cannon and Fleming for sure. Those are the no-brainers. I'm more optimistic about Mason and Jackson than AndyJohnson is. But I've still advocated for bringing in a veteran starter at guard, and drafting another two OT.

So....

T - Solder, Vollmer, draft pick, draft pick (who can also play G if necessary)
G - Mason, Jackson, veteran starter who is a free agent right now
C - Stork, Andrews

I guess you run the risk of having real problems again if Solder gets hurt again, but you can't have starting caliber players at all 9 OL positions. You just need to hope that your depth is good enough to sustain a couple of injuries, not the entire line.

I keep Andrews over Kline because Stork has shown that he could play G if necessary (maybe even a little T in a pinch), and nobody else is a C besides Andrews and Stork.

I think presuming reasonable health, that group would be pretty solid. I'm ok with Mason or Jackson getting a chance to start next year, so long as the rest of the line is in good shape.

I guess you run the risk of having real problems again if Solder gets hurt again, but you can't have starting caliber players at all 9 OL positions. .

You risk having problems if with Solder or Vollmer gets hurt. I agree that all the backups can't be starters. However, I would think that if ONE of the backups is starter quality, it would be the swing OT, who is the Game Day backup. Also, will Vollmer be back for 2017? If not, we should draft a potential replacement.

That is why so many think that we need a free agent backup who might be able to start if necessary. Belichick now thinks that this position is worth $3M a year (Cannon). Maybe Waddle and a top draftee would be enough.

Many of us would like to hear a trade being announced before the middle of the 2nd round whereby the patriots move up for an OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST