PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2016 Patriots Will Be a Juggernaut

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanvamp

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The 2015 Patriots were an excellent team undermined by an absurd amount of significant injuries. It is, of course, tempting to adopt a "woe is us" attitude, but here's the reality: The 2016 Patriots should be an absolute juggernaut. Here's why.

1. Others have gone into detail with respect to how solid the Pats' cap situation is. That's important.

2. They will (barring a trade or surprise cut) return every single starter on a top 10 defense, one that is loaded with young players moving near, or entering, their prime. They will also get Easley back, and he was a force on the interior. Jones may be heading into a contract year, which could be huge.

3. Key injured players on offense will be back. Solder, Wendell, and Lewis, most importantly. Solder and Lewis especially were HUGE losses to this team. Moreover, guys like Gronk, Brady, Vollmer, Edelman, LaFell (if not cut), and Amendola, who were all seriously banged up, should be healthy. The offense, when healthy, was the #1 offense in the NFL. There is no reason whatsoever to think that when they are healthy again, that they won't be at least one of the top offenses in football. On defense, Easley, Tarell Brown, and Roberts may make a huge difference.

4. Key coaching continuity. Yes a couple of coaches are gone, but Belichick, McDaniels, and Patricia are back. Another year with the same coaches is important.

5. They play in a weak division. The Jets should be ok, but as of this moment they don't have a good QB. Fitzpatrick must be re-signed, and he will not come cheaply. And can he really duplicate his career-best 2015 campaign? Odds are against it. Moreover, they may lose some key guys to free agency. Buffalo just isn't that good, and Miami is a dumpster fire, again. The Patriots are already in a great position to win the AFC East yet again.

6. They top contenders in the AFC face uncertainty. Denver has a bunch of key guys whose contracts are up. What will they do at QB? Baltimore is a mess. Indianapolis is soft. Houston has no QB. Cincinnati and KC are solid, and Pittsburgh might be the best of the rest of the contenders, but none of those teams matches up with the Patriots.

The major hurdle for the Patriots will be twofold: injuries and the schedule. They will face the NFC West and the AFC North. The slate of road games will be as tough as it gets: at Mia, at Buf, at NYJ (even though I just said the Patriots should win the AFC East, any of these games obviously will be tough), at Cle, at Pit, at Ari, at SF, at Den. The AFC east games, at Pittsburgh, at Arizona, and at Denver will all be big-time challenges.

Assuming good health (never a safe assumption), the Patriots should end up with a top 3 offense and a top 5 defense, and should win 12 games and earn another first-round bye. They will be battle-tested and in much better shape to make a run for a fifth Lombardi.

Were onto 19-0... sorry till brady retires 19-0 is possible every year let 2016 be the true fu tour

Last edited:
The team is young and talented, and obviously well coached.

Beyond that, every year brings its own problems and challenges, and there's no way to predict the impact of injuries. But it continues to be a great time to be a Pats fan, for sure.

And the road begins f*ck SB50 were on to LI

Super-Bowl-51-LI-Houston-Logo.jpg

The 2015 Patriots were an excellent team undermined by an absurd amount of significant injuries. It is, of course, tempting to adopt a "woe is us" attitude, but here's the reality: The 2016 Patriots should be an absolute juggernaut. Here's why.

1. Others have gone into detail with respect to how solid the Pats' cap situation is. That's important.

2. They will (barring a trade or surprise cut) return every single starter on a top 10 defense, one that is loaded with young players moving near, or entering, their prime. They will also get Easley back, and he was a force on the interior. Jones may be heading into a contract year, which could be huge.

3. Key injured players on offense will be back. Solder, Wendell, and Lewis, most importantly. Solder and Lewis especially were HUGE losses to this team. Moreover, guys like Gronk, Brady, Vollmer, Edelman, LaFell (if not cut), and Amendola, who were all seriously banged up, should be healthy. The offense, when healthy, was the #1 offense in the NFL. There is no reason whatsoever to think that when they are healthy again, that they won't be at least one of the top offenses in football. On defense, Easley, Tarell Brown, and Roberts may make a huge difference.

4. Key coaching continuity. Yes a couple of coaches are gone, but Belichick, McDaniels, and Patricia are back. Another year with the same coaches is important.

5. They play in a weak division. The Jets should be ok, but as of this moment they don't have a good QB. Fitzpatrick must be re-signed, and he will not come cheaply. And can he really duplicate his career-best 2015 campaign? Odds are against it. Moreover, they may lose some key guys to free agency. Buffalo just isn't that good, and Miami is a dumpster fire, again. The Patriots are already in a great position to win the AFC East yet again.

6. They top contenders in the AFC face uncertainty. Denver has a bunch of key guys whose contracts are up. What will they do at QB? Baltimore is a mess. Indianapolis is soft. Houston has no QB. Cincinnati and KC are solid, and Pittsburgh might be the best of the rest of the contenders, but none of those teams matches up with the Patriots.

The major hurdle for the Patriots will be twofold: injuries and the schedule. They will face the NFC West and the AFC North. The slate of road games will be as tough as it gets: at Mia, at Buf, at NYJ (even though I just said the Patriots should win the AFC East, any of these games obviously will be tough), at Cle, at Pit, at Ari, at SF, at Den. The AFC east games, at Pittsburgh, at Arizona, and at Denver will all be big-time challenges.

Assuming good health (never a safe assumption), the Patriots should end up with a top 3 offense and a top 5 defense, and should win 12 games and earn another first-round bye. They will be battle-tested and in much better shape to make a run for a fifth Lombardi.

They will only be a "juggernaut" if they upgrade the o-line , the defensive backs, WR and running back position. Also, unless they actually start ball hawking the 3rd and longs will be the same issue they were this year. People seem to gloss over that fact and I cannot fathom why. Teams relished 3rd and long because they knew they had a better than 50/50 chance of getting a completion.

Unless they do the above these are the losses and reason:

Seattle- Yes it's at home, but did you see how they looked w/o Lynch? Our DBs outside of Butler would get roasted. If Swag Roberts is an actual player it may change my mind. Make no mistake, Ryan is inconsistent and unless he can actually be consistent the above will happen. Also, the current Pats O has been exposed, if you have the personnel to exploit it.

Pitt- See above, minus the D part. However that may improve.

Buffalo, NYJ and Miami- same as every year recently. Buffalo won't be as bad as they were this year and the Jets will be good enough to to get one from the Pats.

Denver, will not be schematically different on D....

I'm at 5 losses already. Not to mention AZ which is an exceptional defense, the NFCCG not withstanding.

So, unless the Pats blow me away in who they retain/pick next year won't be any different than this one, except for more losses and potential playoff miss. That schedule is brutal, and I don't think enough people are paying enough attention. They will not go 14-2 even IF they make the neccesarily improvements. We also don't know the schedule yet. That can be a big factor as well.

They will only be a "juggernaut" if they upgrade the o-line , the defensive backs, WR and running back position. Also, unless they actually start ball hawking the 3rd and longs will be the same issue they were this year. People seem to gloss over that fact and I cannot fathom why. Teams relished 3rd and long because they knew they had a better than 50/50 chance of getting a completion.

Seattle- Yes it's at home, but did you see how they looked w/o Lynch? Our DBs outside of Butler would get roasted. If Swag Roberts is an actual player it may change my mind. Make no mistake, Ryan is inconsistent and unless he can actually be consistent the above will happen. Also, the current Pats O has been exposed, if you have the personnel to exploit it.

Buffalo, NYJ and Miami- same as every year recently. Buffalo won't be as bad as they were this year and the Jets will be good enough to to get one from the Pats.

I'm at 5 losses already. Not to mention AZ which is an exceptional defense, the NFCCG not withstanding.

So, unless the Pats blow me away in who they retain/pick next year won't be any different than this one, except for more losses and potential playoff miss. That schedule is brutal, and I don't think enough people are paying enough attention. They will not go 14-2 even IF they make the neccesarily improvements. We also don't know the schedule yet. That can be a big factor as well.
The Pats defense were ranked in the top 10 at 3rd down conversion...

The Pats defense were ranked in the top 10 at 3rd down conversion...

Eye test. Hell the last game, that 3-10 completion to Gomer was a back breaker on the first drive of the game. The 3-12 in the Eagles post drop kick drive. I can go on and on. The first Jets game. Multiple 3rd and longs..complete. Every third and long I was more surprised when they stopped it than not. 3 and short they were fine. 3-long was the massive issue area.

If the Pats go on to win SB LI ..

Haters will call it THE BIG LI (E)

:eek:

So you are going up and down the schedule and checking off every tough game as a sure loss. Ok.

The 2015 team was a juggernaut until the injuries started massing. I have no doubt we'd be in the Super Bowl and heavily favored if this year's injury losses were half of what they turned out to be.

Eye test. Hell the last game, that 3-10 completion to Gomer was a back breaker on the first drive of the game.
How did the Broncos do on 3rd and long the rest of the game? I distinctly remember them getting their asses handed to them.
The 3-12 in the Eagles post drop kick drive. I can go on and on. The first Jets game. Multiple 3rd and longs..complete. Every third and long I was more surprised when they stopped it than not.
This a tiny tiny sample size. Definitely nothing alarming.
3 and short they were fine. 3-long was the massive issue area.
You have anything to back this up? Because usually it's the other way around.

6 road games on grass, no first round pick, questions on oline.....the people that r penciling in 12 wins r the same people that called Pats 28-14 in Denver in a walkover...
If healthy they have a good shot at 11-5, but throw in more injuries then who knows...just gotta keep Dion lewis in bubble wrap till week 1
At any rate if they finish on the road I call shenanigans on NFL....I know it was cuz the winter classic but they had last 2 on road this season which sucked

I mean...the two teams that usually make the Super Bowl are usually one of the least injured teams within both conferences. Saying that we will be a juggernaut because most of the injured players will come back is ignoring the fact that any of our players could go down again next season.

With that being said, ignoring injuries we really are one of the better teams in the league. As long as we have Brady and Belichick we will always be in a spot to make the Playoffs as a first seed or a second seed.

I have no doubt that "they will be battle tested" at season's end, because this schedule is much tougher than this year's. If we gain a bye, it will be well earned... and 11 wins does it, then it might happen. But 12 I don't see, given the bruising schedule (and a 38-9 year old qb) and all those grass field road games.

Can't be called a jugger-not unless BB loses some weight and the man-boobs go away.

So you are going up and down the schedule and checking off every tough game as a sure loss. Ok.

Did you even read it? What do you expect? The weaker teams go be ones that I see a loss from? Please. All of those teams I listed have a defense that can stop the Pats like the Broncos unless they upgrade several key areas. I think/hope they will and don't see how hard that is to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes