PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2016 NFL Mock Draft Thread

To be honest, I'm never going to be sold on Chung. I think his play this year has been solid so far, but when is that ugly coverage monster of his going to show up again? I love him as a Patriot, he really fits the bill, but I cringe at his pass coverage liabilities presenting themselves at the wrong time.

Thankfully, we are short on glaring needs, so reinforcing the roster is our only concern, if we happened to get a guy like Prince that is. Having said that, SS might be the most significant of our concerns really. We've got surefire starters entrenched at pretty much every other position, other than possibly RB. We've got it pretty good actually, if we can just stay healthy.

Chung's relative weakness in coverage has been mitigated somewhat by the use of three safeties with McCourty stepping up into man coverage and Harmon playing the single high role. I suspect the guy you are looking for was Tyrann Mathieu. He would have been a better pick than Dobson. in fact the Cards did well at safety picking Deone Buccanon a year later too.

Chung's relative weakness in coverage has been mitigated somewhat by the use of three safeties with McCourty stepping up into man coverage and Harmon playing the single high role. I suspect the guy you are looking for was Tyrann Mathieu. He would have been a better pick than Dobson. in fact the Cards did well at safety picking Deone Buccanon a year later too.

Mathieu should have been a Patriot. I think everyone here was a fan. He's been having a pretty good year so far with Arizona. We have our fair share of misses on prospects for sure. I'm still sick about the 2009 second round.....I guess those misses and the stolen picks by Goodell are the yang to Belichick and Brady (yin).

New mock time (with some FA stuff)

Pre-Draft

Trade for Jason McCourty. I'm not very good at establishing trade value for veterans but I'm going with a 3rd round pick here. I doubt we'd get him for anything worse than a 4th and I'm choosing to err on the side over overvaluing rather than undervaluing. It now seems that there is genuine interest in trading for him if the recent reports were true and whilst he's relatively expensive at 7m per over the next two years, that's affordable even if we want to keep Jones/Hightower/Collins. That gives us the secondary help we need.

Sign Doug Martin. This might b a bit of a reach considering how little BB spends on the RB position. However, Blount is a FA and whilst its very possible he comes back, something I wouldn't have a problem with, I do prefer Martin over Blount. Blount certainly has game but he's a little too inconsistent for my taste. On the other hand, I've always been a fan of Martin. Whichever it is, we need someone to tote the rock on a consistent basis.

That's CB and RB taken care of, two of our biggest end of season holes. Now on to the draft:

RND 2

Joe Dahl, OT, Washington State

OK, first off I should note that CBS have Dahl ranked as an OG, and graded at #667 overall so that should be noted. Whilst OG might be his future at 6-5, 310 (according to his official bio), I do see him as a nice LT fit for this team. Athletically he reminds me of Logan Mankins, he thinks he'll run a 5.00 flat and looks very good in space, but schematically he reminds me of Nate Solder. Like Solder he struggles a bit with the bull rush, but his feet are quick enough to guide speed rushers past the QB and he has the athleticism to get ahead of the ball carrier on screens and sweeps. I'm not convinced he's a day one starter, but I do like him as a future Nate Solder replacement or someone who could start at LG one day. I also like him as a run blocker so RT could be in his future too. PFF, in late October graded him as the #1 pass blocking LT in CFB, as they did last season too.

RND 3

Traded For Jason McCourty

RND 3 (Comp)

Braxton Miller, WR/HB, Ohio State

My #1 binkie currently. I just think he's the perfect fit for the Patriots offense. Miller, Edelman and Lewis on the field at the same time in this offense is a nightmare choice for opposing defenses.

RND 4

Montese Overton, LB/S, East Carolina

At 221lbs, it might be a stretch to call Overton a linebacker, but he could be an excellent passing down player who can blitz (7.5 sacks this year) and who has the athleticism to cover the slot, TE or RB. He's 6-3, could run a sub 4.4 forty and runs sub 4.00 in the short shuttle and sub 7.00 in the 3-cone. Aside from the CB position, we're potentially well covered for some time to come on defence at almost all the positions so this is an opportunity to add a scheme specific chess piece.

RND 6 (From Texans)

DJ Foster, WR/RB, Arizona State

A Shane Vereen redux. After two consecutive years of putting up over 500 yards receiving as a RB, Foster was switched to WR this year and has struggled a bit. Thats fine by me because it potentially drops his value. My view of Foster is that he's closer to Shane Vereen than James White as a receiving RB which is why I've always been a fan. Bring him in and let him battle the slightly underwhelming White in camp.

RND 6 (Comp)

Ian Seau, LB, Nevada.

Nephew of Junior. To be honest, I was running out of fresh ideas at this point in the mock and was going to put Seau in on name alone. And then I watched the below video. I think this is the first time I've said wow! aloud this year watching tape. Showcases outstanding effort, smarts and the physicality,nastiness to take on OL blockers. I saw a comparison to Clay Matthews on twitter and I can see him move from an EDGE rusher to a Hightower-like linebacker role, much like Matthews has done.

Bear in mind, this tape doesn't include his 4 sacks in one game effort against Hawaii. I think he'll be in my mock for a while.

RND 6 (Comp)

Miles Killebrew, SS, Southern Utah.

Hey! Do you like 6-3 safeties that weigh 230lbs and that hit really hard? If so, you'll probably want to watch the video below.

I haven't seen any tape yet so this will have to do. Impressive highlight reel and looks to be another good, big safety that could play special teams. And BB likes those.

RND 6 (Comp)

David Morgan II, TE, Texas-San Antonio

PFF's leading run blocking TE and their third highest ranked receiving TE as of two weeks ago. Has good size at 6-4, 260lbs but I know little about him apart from that.

RND 7 (From Texans)

Keyarris Garrett, WR, Tulsa

I'm not in love with what tape I've seen, but he's intriguing enough for a 7th round pick. You see, I have a soft spot for wide receivers that can catch the ball away from their bodies, particularly when they're 6-4 and 221lbs.

RND 7

??? At this point, I don't really have any strong feelings about anyone.

I must admit, I've yet to get really excited about prospects although I'm still at the 'tip of the iceberg' stage in my scouting. So far, only Jonathan Bullard, Myles Jack, Braxton Miller and (maybe now) Ian Seau have got the juices flowing. I desperately hope that changes.

I realise it's an offensive heavy draft but I did think through the pre-season that we lacked some offensive depth. As for defence, adding McCourty at CB really shores up any immediate defensive holes, including depth.

That's a mock draft that hits the right positions. I Iike the idea of vets at cb and rb. I'm hoping for Sean Smith as a UFA so we don't lose a pick. I doubt we spend any money on a big-name back though. Lewis looks great. Just neeed a banger.

That's a mock draft that hits the right positions. I Iike the idea of vets at cb and rb. I'm hoping for Sean Smith as a UFA so we don't lose a pick. I doubt we spend any money on a big-name back though. Lewis looks great. Just neeed a banger.

I think Martin is probably a long shot, someone else will offer more than we do. Just one thing of note that I've learned since making this draft. Doug Martin is the 2nd highest rated pass blocking RB in the NFL according to PFF. That makes him even more interesting. It probably won't happen but I hope it does.

I think Martin is probably a long shot, someone else will offer more than we do. Just one thing of note that I've learned since making this draft. Doug Martin is the 2nd highest rated pass blocking RB in the NFL according to PFF. That makes him even more interesting. It probably won't happen but I hope it does.

The only thing missing is trading Jimmy G for a 1st round pick and using that on Myles Jack;) Right Mayo?

The only thing missing is trading Jimmy G for a 1st round pick and using that on Myles Jack;) Right Mayo?

Errrr. Mayo? :)

I'd keep Jimmy G personally but I'd love Jack for sure.

Errrr. Mayo? :)

I'd keep Jimmy G personally but I'd love Jack for sure.

MayoClinic. He was always proposing QB trades to get us 1st round picks. I believe he had us getting a first for Mallett. Which is laughable now, but he was determined at the time.

MayoClinic. He was always proposing QB trades to get us 1st round picks. I believe he had us getting a first for Mallett. Which is laughable now, but he was determined at the time.

I knew you meant Mayo, I just thought you were confusing us. I think a lot of people were hoping to get something good for Mallet. As you say, wishful thinking.

With us not having a first I've been less motivated to start looking at prospects. But I have to start eventually. I was wondering what happened to Tyler Boyd. He was looked at as one of the top WRs on the beginning of the season. And I was wondering if he's available towards the middle of the second round do you take him?

What percentage chance is there that the pats trade Jimmy G in the offseason? Maybe 5%?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

With us not having a first I've been less motivated to start looking at prospects. But I have to start eventually. I was wondering what happened to Tyler Boyd. He was looked at as one of the top WRs on the beginning of the season. And I was wondering if he's available towards the middle of the second round do you take him?

I don't know if I'd trade up for Boyd, but I'd snap him up at 64. That's not to say that he doesn't deserve a higher generic grade than a late second, I think he's a terrific receiver - it's just that Any rookie WE we draft will be way down the receiver pecking order and it would be hard to justify the trade up.

I know he has been a fraction of what was expected of him production wise, but I wonder if OJ Howard will be there at the end of round 2.

It seems absurd that we could potentially use our top pick on an at best, part time eventual starter, but that is the reality of our roster right now.

I like the idea of corners and tackles and possibly a lead back, but I don't think tight end could be in the conversation come draft time.

2 -Kendall Fuller - CB/Will Redmond - CB (if his injury drops within range trade up for Fuller). CB should be our first pick as long as there is no big drop off between talent. One of these is an option.

3 - Joe Haeg - OT - Seemed kind of small to me initially but it seems he has continually put on weight in college and is getting to the weigh the Patriots tend to like in their OTs. Very quick feet.

3comp - Joe Schobert - OLB - I really like this kid. Pass rush and tackle ability is clearly there. Needs to prove he can get it done in coverage but I think he can.

4 - Bryce Williams - TE - 3rd TE is still an option and this kid jumped out at me a bit.

That is all i have for now.

Last edited:
I know he has been a fraction of what was expected of him production wise, but I wonder if OJ Howard will be there at the end of round 2.

It seems absurd that we could potentially use our top pick on an at best, part time eventual starter, but that is the reality of our roster right now.

I like the idea of corners and tackles and possibly a lead back, but I don't think tight end could be in the conversation come draft time.

TE could be really good at 64. That seems to be the approximate hot point for TEs currently.

2 -Kendall Fuller - CB/Will Redmond - CB (if his injury drops within range trade up for Fuller). CB should be our first pick as long as there is no big drop off between talent. One of these is an option.

3 - Joe Haeg - OT - Seemed kind of small too me initially but it seems he has continually put on weight and college and is getting to the weigh Patriots tend to like in thier OTs. Very quick feet and

3comp - Joe Schobert - OLB - I really like this kid. Pass rush and tackle ability is clearly there. Needs to prove he can get it done in coverage but I think he can

4 - Bryce Williams - TE - 3rd TE is still an option and this kid jumped out at me a bit.

That is all i have for now.
They probably won't even pick one just to **** with everyone

If we are gonna a add a vet RB in the off season Manx, what you think about trading for Tre Mason? He's not gonna beat out Gurley at STL, and I know his pass blocking is suspect, but the guy is a hell of a runner, and hes on a rookie contract. Good value I think!

If we are gonna a add a vet RB in the off season Manx, what you think about trading for Tre Mason? He's not gonna beat out Gurley at STL, and I know his pass blocking is suspect, but the guy is a hell of a runner, and hes on a rookie contract. Good value I think!

I was a fan of Mason and would love him on the cheap because he'd sit behind Lewis. But sign me up for a day 3 pick.

So I'll sign you up for Devon Johnson, sounds like a deal to me, late round 4 sound fine to you ? ;)

This is my first mock for 2016. All feedback is welcome.

Projected Selections
Rd 2-Will Redmond, CB, Mississippi State
Rd 3-Alex Collins, RB, Arkansas
Rd 3-Evan Engram, TE, Ole Miss
Rd 4-Harlan Miller, CB, Southeastern Louisiana
Rd 6-D.J. Foster, WR/RB, Arizona State
Rd 6-Cole Toner, OT, Harvard
Rd 6-Leonte Carroo, WR, Rutgers
Rd 7-Quinton Jefferson, DT, Maryland
Rd 7-Keenan Reynolds, RB, Navy
Rd 7-Dillon Gordon, TE, LSU

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes