PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2015 NFL Combine Thread

Doubt a DB gonna become a blinky for ppl, so after watching the rest in action, WHO is peoples blinky? WHO do ppl want most in round 1? And if he is aint on the board when Pats draft what are you doing then?

OL Brandon Scherff, Iowa
DT Danny Shelton, Washington
but it's highly unlikely either will be available, so:

OL La'el Collins, LSU
DT Malcolm Brown, Texas

OL Brandon Scherff, Iowa
DT Danny Shelton, Washington
but it's highly unlikely either will be available, so:

OL La'el Collins, LSU
DT Malcolm Brown, Texas

also, unlikely to be available at 32 lol....

My 3 favorite offensive skill players in this draft aren't working out today:

RB Todd Gurley - recovering form ACL tear
RB Tevin Coleman - foot injury
WR DeAndre Smelter - recovering from ACL tear

Still lots of other interesting guys to watch.

In a way, thats good new's for us bottom feeders (last pick)

Anyway they trade up without having to give much?

Your question is why I'm not all that interested in the forty times and am looking forward to the 3cone and SS times. If we're looking for an Amendola replacement, they're just as, if not, more important.

You know a player I felt would have been a great player to backup Edelman and replace Amendola?
Erik Lora from last years draft. He and Julian Edelman had almost identical pro day results in every category. Like almost 100% identical. He also had great chemistry with Jimmy Garoppolo & Eastern Illinois, so it makes sense for the future. To top it all off, his scouting report had "perfect Patriot" written all over it.

Edleman combine results :
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=67858&draftyear=2009&genpos=WR

Erik Lora Combine results :
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=95529&draftyear=2014&genpos=WR

Erik Lora scouting report :
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/erik-lora?id=2543802

Erik Lora Highlight tape : http://www.patriots.com/media-cente...Illinois/7de68666-bfe7-4004-915f-936c5cdbe877

Patriot Mentality :

Now I understand not bringing him in last year because he signed on the 90 man with the vikings. But he's a FA now, so if he's still in football shape, id like to see the team give him a shot at the 90 man at some point this off season. It makes to much sense not too.

Last edited:
Some DB measurements up:

- Adrian Amos: 6' 0" 218#; 32 1/4" arms, 9 1/8" hands
- Alex Carter: 6'0" 196#; long 32 1/8" arms, 9 1/8" hands
- Jalen Collins: 6' 1 1/4" 203#; 32 1/8" arms, 9 3/8" hands
- Ifo Ekpre-Olomu: 5'9" 192#; 30 7/8" arms, big 9 5/8" hands
- Durrell Eskridge: 6'3" 208#; 32 3/8" arms, 9 5/8" hands
- Jacoby Glenn: 6' 0" 179#; 31 1/4" arms, 8 5/8" hands
- Marcus Peters: 6' 0" 192#; 31 1/2" arms, 8 5/8" hands (Loyko has the weight listed as 197#)
- Tre Waynes: 6' 0" 186#; 31" arms, 8 1/4" hands
- PJ Williams: 6' 0" 194#; 31# arms, 8 5/8" hands

Im a pretty big Adrian Amos fan. I think he has great potential and is currently very underrated.

I think he projects best at safety from a physical and athletic standpoint. I'm not sure if he can lay a hit though.

Im a fan of nick marshall, but not as a safety. Id much rather have Adrian Amos who plays a physical style of safety and has good man coverage skills from his experience at CB early in his college career.

Compare Darren Waller with Jimmy Graham from 2010:

Height: Waller 6' 6 1/8" / Graham 6' 6 2/8"
Weight: Waller 238# / Graham 260#
Arm Length: Waller 33 1/8" / Graham 35"
Hands: Waller 9" / Graham 10 5/8"
40: Waller 4.46 / Graham 4.53
10-split: Waller 1.58 / Graham 1.53
SS: Waller 4.25 / Graham 4.45 (later 4.39 at his pro day)
3C: Waller 7.06 / Graham 6.9
VJ: Waller 37" / Graham 38.5"
BJ: Waller 10'5" / Graham 10'

How awesome would a GT double dip be? Smelter in the 6th, and waller in the 7th

Ben Heeney is one of my favourite linebackers in the draft. He's undersized at 231lb and is probably not a man-coverage guy, but he had a hell of a combine:

He had a 4.59 forty, was good in the jumps (33.5 and 10') but in the 3cone he did 6.68 and did a 4.00 in the short shuttle. Those quickness numbers match the very best in combine history for linebackers (6.64, 3.93). Heeney also has some of the best instincts I've seen in a linebacker.

Interesting linebacker prospect with a really good 3-cone.

Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 00.40.19.png

Note:

he is a wild card who can be moved around the field by a creative defensive coordinator, but he still needs time to grow into his tall frame and become a more polished pass rusher.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/alani-fua?id=2552683

Edit:

Aside from the height, very similar results to Chris White.

Ben Heeney is one of my favourite linebackers in the draft. He's undersized at 231lb and is probably not a man-coverage guy, but he had a hell of a combine:

He had a 4.59 forty, was good in the jumps (33.5 and 10') but in the 3cone he did 6.68 and did a 4.00 in the short shuttle. Those quickness numbers match the very best in combine history for linebackers (6.64, 3.93). Heeney also has some of the best instincts I've seen in a linebacker.

Ben Heeney's 60 Yard Shuttle SHATTERED the best time by a LB in the last decade, 11.06.

https://twitter.com/NEPD_Loyko/status/569659305940688896

Ben Heeney's Spiderweb is going to be pretty awesome. Perhaps the best agility performance in at least 10 years.
https://twitter.com/NEPD_Loyko/status/569659503177658368

@PjDawson47: I'm an awesome football player. The best/most productive linebacker in this draft. Not a track Star. #meetmeonthefield

Back in the 3-4 days, this board would have been all over Henry Anderson from Stanford.

Anderson is generally considered an "unathletic 5-tech", but if he shows positional versatility and continues to show better athleticism, then he's a huge value compared with someone like Arik Amstead.

Henry Anderson quietly had a really impressive Combine. 4.93 unofficial 40, 1.63 10-split, 30" VCJ. His 4.19 SS, 7.20 3c were LB worthy - that's one area where Stanford's training may help prospects (Trent Murphy had a mediocre 40 last year, but the best 3C of all the LBs at 6.78, though Anderson's SS was better than Murphy's 4.20 last year, even though Anderson is 44# heavier). His numbers across the board were bette than those of Leonard Williams. Pretty darn athletic.

I had assumed Anderson was mainly a 2-gapping 5-tech without much explosiveness or quickness. But Anderson's agility numbers and 10 yard split were much better than those of Ra'Shede Hageman last year. Josh Norris thinks he could be a 3-tech, and Drew Boylhart gave him the full JJ Watt comparison, before his combine performance. It's enough to make me re-think whether he would fit well in the Pats' current hybrid defense.

Davis Tull had a 42.5" VJ and 11" BJ yesterday at 6' 2 3/4" 246#. He didn't run the other drills due to a tweaked hamstring. Tull was the 3-time Southern Conference DPOY. Back in December, Mel Kiper had this to say about him:
"Davis Tull is a guy who you love everything he has," Kiper said. "He's got great energy and great explosion, and there are times when it looks like he is just fired out of the blocks. He is a relentless player with great productivity, and when you get into that day-three area and are talking about the fourth through sixth rounds, you're going to get a guy who can perform and do the job for you.

"He can get after the quarterback, which is what this league is all about."

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/.../dec/12/kihhigh-praise-utcs-tull-lott/277713/

NFL.com's Combine preview notes:
Three-time Southern Conference Defensive Player of the Year (2012, 2013, 2014). First-Team FCS All-American as a senior with 10.5 sacks and 18 tackles for loss. As a junior, was named First Team FCS All-American with 9 sacks and 15 tackles for loss while posting a 4.0 GPA during the fall. In 2012, became first SoCon sophomore to be selected as SoCon Defensive Player of the Year since former Dallas Cowboys third-round pick Dexter Coakley. Set single-season UTC sack record with 12.5 and was fourth in the nation with 19 tackles for loss. Made the SoCon All-Freshman team, starting all 11 games at defensive end. Former walk-on. Colleges stopped recruiting Tull after he broke his femur in the second game of his senior season and missed the rest of the year. Was an Honor Society member at Bearden High School in Knoxville, Tennessee.

STRENGTHS
Four-year starter. Outstanding production and works as hard from snap to snap as any defensive lineman in this draft. Plays stronger than his listed weight. Stays square against the run and leverages his run gaps. Plus hand-eye coordination. Has what scouts call "snap-winning" hand usage against run or pass. Relentless in pursuit. Frenetic off snap, giving tackles darting movement inside and out. Has power and toughness to set the edge and turn plays back inside. Leverage rusher who can dip shoulder and turn corner as well as bull-rush weaker tackles. Has lightning-quick spin move but needs to sharpen technique when using it. Held his own against Tennessee this year with a sack and two tackles for loss.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/davis-tull?id=2552290

His school bio mentions that he was a 2 time academic All American.

Pretty intriguing kid. Hope the Pats check him out thoroughly. Aside from his Combine numbers, he seems to have a lot of elements that would interest them.

TE 3cone times are finally in. Blake Bell did a very good 6.85:

TE 3-cones:
Blake Bell 6.85
Nick Boyle 7.13
Gerald Christian 7.62
Cameron Clear 7.52
Jesse James 7.53
Nick O'Leary 7.40
Mycole Pruitt 7.25
Will Saxton 7.29
Jean Sifrin 7.50
Eric Tomlinson 7.46
Cline Walford 7.32
Maxx Williams 7.30

Oh, so much to comment on, let's see if I can remember it all.
Diggy blew it up-I just hope this doesn't take him out of #32 pick range now.
Really like what I saw from Blake Bell and E.J. Bibbs
Danielle Hunter ran a great 40 but he got skipped over on every drill, so hopefully they will be up on nfl.com
Hardy has big hands and a great 3cone, expected that from his film
Have to give credit to a poster over at nepatriotsdraft.com, he has been in love with Davis Tull since August.
was shocked by the KU linebacker, I live in lawrence and have seen him live, was not expecting those numbers.
If you have never been, go to mockdraftable.com. It is a great visual way to see all these players numbers on a spider graph. You can go back several years to see how others did at the combine as well.

MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
Back