PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thank you Ian and others thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEM said:
It wasnt on this site, it was on another one.

There was one (1) person that posted something negitive about Ian and he said that he was from this site.

Everyone associated with The palnet wished Ian the best of luck and was very helpful.

Let's give them some well deserved credit and not exaggerate.

Ian said:
Whoever did this BTW targeted PatsFans.com in particular (we're on a server with many other sites, businesses, etc.), so apparently we're not too popular with someone.

:O :O My bet is Casale!! hahaha

PATSNUTme said:
There was one (1) person that posted something negitive about Ian and he said that he was from this site.

Everyone associated with The palnet wished Ian the best of luck and was very helpful.

Let's give them some well deserved credit and not exaggerate.

I read that. It's disappointing that he said the things he said, but apparently he doesn't understand how things work. It also makes me realize I guess no matter how hard you try you can't please everyone.

Here's the deal. It started with someone using a compromised file they found on the site for e-mail spamming, which I wouldn't have expected someone to waste the time to do but apparently those people are out there. The e-mail system filled up with messages in que that are scanned by anti-spam software, which began slowing down the server. When we found out what it was I moved out the files which seemed to get us back to normal and stopped that attack. However when whoever it was realized we were on to them they began flooding the server with database requests which it couldn't keep up with, which caused the errors and eventually lead to it not responding at all. Then came the flood of server requests which crippled us. The server management company then shut down public access as they monitored the situation until it ended and increased the security on the server. I had to go into the backend and change out some things, so that when we did come back up there wouldn't be any problems. This unfortunately took two days to finally cease.

So there are no corrupt databases, that was never the issue. If he was familiar with vbulliten he'd know that if the software can't execute a query it posts an error, and e-mails me the reason for it.

Having a couple of days to look at things while I was shut off from all of you, I've put together a new forum which will be coming soon, and will come out this week along with our migration from here. There will be no loss in forum posts or user accounts, and I will announce our plans once everything is moved and will let everyone know prior to the DNS changeover.

I apologize for the inconvenience and know this was a frustrating week for everyone. Thank you to everyone who e-mailed, and I can promise you this is the final time you'll ever have to endure it again.

Ian

Ian...sounds really good..sorry you had to put up with idiots doing that....really..you have done an incredible job!!! Get rest..when you get this all done..you need it!! I think many other might have e-mailed you..I just didn't want to do that..since..I knew you were so busy doing things toget the site up..and didn't think another e-mail woud matter..and just distract from getting the site up. Thank you Ian!!!

Is that God, daddy?

No son, that's Ian.

Great job as always! I actually got some "work" done when the forum was down. :D

You rule Ian, thanks!!

I'm finally able to get on after a few days. Thanks Ian.

I'm on Comcast, and their DNS hasn't propergated to us yet.

To help others, I had to edit this file in XP (for Unix people, its /etc/hosts)

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Append

67.15.50.30 www.patsfans.com
67.15.50.30 patsfans.com

At least until DNS converges.

Ian said:
Whoever did this BTW targeted PatsFans.com in particular (we're on a server with many other sites, businesses, etc.), so apparently we're not too popular with someone.
2.jpg ?

thanks for the site

Thanks Ian......not much else I can say:cool:

Ian, those that don't appreciate you or your efforts are surely in the minority.

A great big Thank You comes from 99% of us.

Thanks!

Ian - thanks so much for all you time and troubles. It would be nice to have a Backup or Temporary forum if this one has database problems. That's what they have at PatriotsPlanet.com.

Ian said:
whoever it was realized we were on to them they began flooding the server with database requests which it couldn't keep up with, which caused the errors and eventually lead to it not responding at all. Then came the flood of server requests which crippled us. The server management company then shut down public access as they monitored the situation until it ended and increased the security on the server. I had to go into the backend and change out some things, so that when we did come back up there wouldn't be any problems. This unfortunately took two days to finally cease.
Ian

Denial of Service attacks are illegal under federal law, so I would suggest keeping all the documentation you have on the DOS attack, and if a DOS attack happens again turning it over to the Boston office of the FBI. From what I read they are most interested in any attempted extortion or protection racket where the web-site owner is requested to pay up to stop the DOS attacks.

Thank%20you!!.gif

Thanks Ian for keeping this site open and fun.

lobster said:
...From what I read they are most interested in any attempted extortion or protection racket where the web-site owner is requested to pay up to stop the DOS attacks.

Tony Soprano knows what a mysql database is? Who'd a thunk it?

THANK YOU! It was too much trying to find other Pats forums to post on. Glad we're back up. :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft