PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thank GOD we didn't Tie Up WoodHead & Vereen a Year Before they left!!

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

On 2nd Thought, should we maybe've locked up WoodHead & Vereen when we might've?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
BB will scoop up one of these guys at some point in a year or two for pennies on the dollar. They got their big FA checks.....and sacrificed wins to get the coin......their next goal will be a ring....back in NE. (This Hoodie koolaid is delicious)

After seeing OTG getting this distraught over the reigning Super Bowl Champion, AFC first place Patriots, I can't help but wonder how he/she handled those 1 and 2 win seasons of the early 1990s

OTG is actually one of the most positive, upbeat, glass-is-half-full regular posters on the board.

White is our cheap up and coming 2nd year player so it's really about whether u would want Woodhead, Vereen or Lewis on your team. Now I do think Woodhead is the best 3rd down back in football, but Lewis was right there with him before he got hurt and cost 3 million dollars less salary. To me it's a nobrainer.

Yes, right with you except for Lewis' injury history, which changes the risk/reward calculation on Woodhead vs. Lewis. Not a lot, but a bit.

Alas poor Vereen! I knew him, Cornholio, a fellow of finite running ability with most excellent catching out of the backfield. He hath borne us on his back at the SuperBowl and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My salary cap rises just thinking of it. Here hung those hips that linebackers occasionally missed, I know not how oft. Where be your jukes now? Your fumbles? Your drops? Your flashes of 3rd down excellence, that were wont to set the forum on a roar?

How's that?

Alas poor Vereen! I knew him, Cornholio, a fellow of finite running ability with most excellent catching out of the backfield. He hath borne us on his back at the SuperBowl and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My salary cap rises just thinking of it. Here hung those hips that linebackers occasionally missed, I know not how oft. Where be your jukes now? Your fumbles? Your drops? Your flashes of 3rd down excellence, that were wont to set the forum on a roar?

How's that?
I don't even have anything to add to this, but I am quoting it because it's worth reading twice.

It's been proven over and over, you can't replace Welker and Woodhead, again and again.

Not sure the dislike,. but that was sarcasm. the irreplaceable Welker is more than replaced by Edelman and by Amendola. Whether Vereen or Woodhead was better is debatable, I guess. Dion Lewis simply is better than either IMO.

It's simply a law of nature. Athletic 300+ pounders are hard to replace [we've done pretty well, though]. 5'10 RB, receivers are not. There are simply more produced by colleges every day. BB has said this himself.

Yes, right with you except for Lewis' injury history, which changes the risk/reward calculation on Woodhead vs. Lewis. Not a lot, but a bit.

Lewis broke his leg. Besides that, I don't believe there's a history different from Woodhead and Vereen.

I just want to make sure we're talking about the same person because I'm really surprised anyone is getting worked-up over Woody leaving.

I mean, Woody is averaging 3.5 YPC this season, and his averages since leaving NE have been 3.7 YPC, 8.9 YPR. He's gotten a lot more opportunities, his volume stats reflect that, but he's hardly a player worth getting worked up about.

Brandon Bolden has averaged 4.3 YPC over his career and 8.5 YPR, and everyone thinks he's a JAG. But I'm supposed to be upset about the older version of Woody?

I certainly dont claim to be on OTG's level, but I think I know a little of how his mind works (involves a lot of cutting down trees, skipping and jumping, wild flower pressing and putting on women's clothing and hanging around in bars).

He liked an idea of mine that involved trading away every early pick from year A for much earlier/better picks from the following year B.

In year B, you draft normally with the picks you got from the previous year but trade away again for earlier/better picks from next year. Once you've done this once (or maybe twice), the cycle becomes self-feeding.

The trick is, you'd have to make do that first year with ONLY late round and UFAs (what OTG calls UDFAs). However, this becomes a little more palatable as you can then throw much more money at the UFA market with the money you save from not signing a 1st through 3rd round draft choice.

I think OTG's idea involved trading away all your early picks for a plethora of 4th-7th round picks.

If he was GM, I'd like to think he'd do it. :)

The issue would be finding a team to do it. BB used to be able to trade a pick this year for one a round earlier, but teams caught on that this was a bad idea for them.

I just want to make sure we're talking about the same person because I'm really surprised anyone is getting worked-up over Woody leaving.

I mean, Woody is averaging 3.5 YPC this season, and his averages since leaving NE have been 3.7 YPC, 8.9 YPR. He's gotten a lot more opportunities, his volume stats reflect that, but he's hardly a player worth getting worked up about.

Brandon Bolden has averaged 4.3 YPC over his career and 8.5 YPR, and everyone thinks he's a JAG. But I'm supposed to be upset about the older version of Woody?

The issue would be finding a team to do it. BB used to be able to trade a pick this year for one a round earlier, but teams caught on that this was a bad idea for them.

I'd give more than a like, but i hate to see grown men cry.

How's that?

Wonderful.

giphy.gif

After seeing OTG getting this distraught over the reigning Super Bowl Champion, AFC first place Patriots, I can't help but wonder how he/she handled those 1 and 2 win seasons of the early 1990s

image.jpg

All the world's a field, And all the men merely players...one man in his time plays many parts - if he wants to play for BB.

Go Bolden!

You blocks, you stones, you worse than senseless things,
O you hard hearts, you cruel men of Patsfans,
Know you not Blount?
Many a time have ye climbed to the nosebleed seats in the upper deck
To cheer him, shivering all the whilst (unless you successfully snuck a thermos past security)
As he battered a young stallion into submission ...

Does it? It's not like Woodhead and Vereen are without injury history. Woodhead blew out his knee last year, for example. Vereen barely got on the field his first three years here.

I'm glad we didn't spend $3M on Vereen. He's a nice receiving option. But we lack a real running back right now, and he's simply a bad runner. He gets tackled extremely easily and isn't very good at creating yards on his own with the ball in his hands, except for sprinting down the sideline vs a LB. Vereen to me is simply a receiver lining up in the backfield, and I'd rather have White and $3M to spare to do that than Vereen for $3M.

Vereen made a couple of huge plays for the Patriots in the Super Bowl, and I'm guessing that one game drove up his price tag to much more than he's worth

I hate this thread.
Nobody ever seems to take into considering that Vereen was taking over and Woody would have been coming back in a reduced role. There's no guarantee he wanted that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes