PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Terrified of our WR situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with some of your thoughts, but this statement is not even close to true.

The TE duo played approximately 1/3 of the season together, or about 5-6 games.

I meant healthy. Hernandez was not right for majority of the year.

If you want to talk injury concerns, look no further to Talib who has had the exact same two injuries that have prevented him from finishing the last 3 seasons in a row.

There haven't been any injuries that Amendola has had that have made anyone feel as though he's falling under the nagging/chronic conditions, most of all Belichick.

You may not agree with the decision, but let's not make it out to be like there can't be a reasonable debate either. One is 5-6 yrs younger, has more size, better speed, better hands, and has experience playing in McDaniels' system. Welker showed some promise before coming to NE, but I think that Amendola has shown just as much as Welker did pre-NE Patriots era. If we weren't going to offer Welker big money to stay, then who would you rather have had besides Amendola?

We saw a rookie take over the role enough in 2009 that most here were thinking he could make 100 catches the next year. He had no experience in the system prior, nor did he even have experience at the position of WR either. Welker shouldn't be overlooked as being a great player here for many reasons, but there isn't any reason to believe that someone else cannot come in and contribute a lot too. His ability to stay healthy will be key, along with his pre-snap defensive reads and knowledge of the defense. Those were the areas that Welker excelled at.

Just to make it clear, I'm not against the signing of Amendola, even if his injury history concerns me, he got a great upside and could end up being perfect for us. With Welker gone he was my first choice.
What I don't like, is that current roster never proved anything around the league and we parts way with a guy with five +100 catches season and a guy with over 3300yds last three year, because of 1-2m$ a year...
I know it's early and we could end up with Lloyd back and Sanders on the team, that would certainly please me.

But the fact we are greedy with productive WRs and paying big money for a slot corner, not making me thrilled.

Serious question here, and please correct me if I am wrong.

Didn't word finally come out that Amendola was signed on Tuesday or agreed to a contract on Tuesday before Welker was even given an offer by the Patriots? I believe that's how it went down, so how could Welker have been plan A? It sounds like Amendola was the Patriots plan A.

If BB preferred Amendola to Welker he would not have made an offer to Welker. They play the same position. Stories here about BB wanting both players make no sense from either a football standpoint or a financial one. My understanding from Reiss is that BB gauged the market and made his best offer ($10M) to Welker, as is his style. When Welker decided to test the market, BB could not risk losing both Welker and the only other guy out there who could play the position, so he signed Amendola. Then Welker found out BB was on the market value, and he came back to negotiate, but it was too late. So Welker took Denver's slightly greater offer. The sad thing is that neither the team nor the player got what they wanted. They both get an F in negotiating.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story...ker-had-read-landscape-better-a-denver-bronco

As for the temptation to think that the club's move away from Welker is reflective of a shifting of their offensive philosophy, it isn't. The offense naturally evolves each season, but that had nothing to do with the decision. In fact, part of the reason the Patriots felt like a quick decision had to be made was that if there was one player on the market who most closely resembled Welker as a potent option in the slot, it was Amendola. There was really no one else.

What WR situation? That Patriots don't do WRs. The Patriots did not have any WRs last season...now even less. And it is not like BB is able to draft a WR...

But don't worry....now twice a season (at least) the Patriots will get reminded of their WR drafting incompetence as Miami WR Wallace torches Arrington/McCourty/etc and the Patriots can compare him to the guy they drafted instead of Wallace (Tate).

Yes the situation is grim. Brady must be pissed.

Sanders will be a pro bowl player if he comes to the Pats. Mark my words. I live close to Pittsburgh, this kid is really good. There's not one Steeler fan that I know that wants to lose him. They're pretty mad about this.

Playing man to man, with his speed, with Brady, is just stealing.

Just to make it clear, I'm not against the signing of Amendola, even if his injury history concerns me, he got a great upside and could end up being perfect for us. With Welker gone he was my first choice.
What I don't like, is that current roster never proved anything around the league and we parts way with a guy with five +100 catches season and a guy with over 3300yds last three year, because of 1-2m$ a year...
I know it's early and we could end up with Lloyd back and Sanders on the team, that would certainly please me.

But the fact we are greedy with productive WRs and paying big money for a slot corner, not making me thrilled.

I too am surprised at the total amount of the Arrington deal. I would have been fine with a 4/14 deal, and happy with a 4/12 deal. I'm not sure about the specifics, but I'm guessing that maybe the total 16 million won't be received, and that they are possibly throwing some dummy numbers on there.

They could always walk away or ask him to take a pay cut or restructure if it comes down to it. Again, I don't know the specifics, but I'd be surprised to see him stay here for 4 yrs and make 16 million dollars.

Another thing to consider is that Arrington works much better in the slot, and that has been the goal for them the past 2 seasons with the draft choice of Dowling. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out. When Arrington does play in the slot he can do it very effectively. Remember that he held Victor Cruz to a total of 24 yds in the most recent SB loss.

Arrington also has good experience and knowledge of our system, and has played in different areas, sides of the field, and roles throughout his tenure here. It's possible that Arrington is trusted with more responsibilities in the defensive backfield than we initially give him credit for. On top of that, he also obviously brings a lot on ST's, has proven that he works hard, and is a typical "Belichick guy" who worked hard from being an UDFA and rose throughout the system. He also can obviously step into the outside starter's role if/when an injury occurs, although we all know his limitations there.

We'll just have to trust Belichick with this one. I'm glad he's back. I just didn't expect his salary to be that high.

What WR situation? That Patriots don't do WRs. The Patriots did not have any WRs last season...now even less. And it is not like BB is able to draft a WR...

But don't worry....now twice a season (at least) the Patriots will get reminded of their WR drafting incompetence as Miami WR Wallace torches Arrington/McCourty/etc and the Patriots can compare him to the guy they drafted instead of Wallace (Tate).

So why dont you put your money where you big ******* mouth is and bet that the Pats will stink it up?. You seem to think this team is such a failure. In fact why would you follow a team that is such a travesty in your mind much less take the time to post on a public forum about it?

You are either a lonely soul and have nothing better to do or just want attention because you can get any in real life. Only someone projecting their own misery and failures would have your attitude about this team.

Also, is your name Fred and are you really from Dartmouth. Because if you are Fred and you are from Dartmouth it is a brilliant screen name.

Did you have to think about that for a long time? Did it just come to you? Or did your imaginary friend tell you to use that. Either way it speaks volumes of your stupidity as if we needed more prof from your pathetic Debbie Downer posts.

Go back to your pathetic life and stop polluting the board with your tripe. Its tiresome.

WHHHAAAAA WHHHAAAA the Pats are TERRRIBLE WHHHHAAAAAA ****king cry baby

If you put half of this energy into your life you wouldn't be such an angry bitter codger.

I'm confused by two things:

1 - where is Talib in your scenario? On IR?
2 - why would you compare a patriots draft pick to Wallace? Wallace is beyond his rookie contract, isn't with the team that drafted him anymore because of $, and was an UFA so the Patriots could have signed him themselves if they wanted to.

But I get your point - these other teams are so much better at evaluating and collecting talent than the Patriots. That probably explains why the Patriots are a perennial last place team, selecting in the top 10 every year.

I too am surprised at the total amount of the Arrington deal. I would have been fine with a 4/14 deal, and happy with a 4/12 deal. I'm not sure about the specifics, but I'm guessing that maybe the total 16 million won't be received, and that they are possibly throwing some dummy numbers on there.

They could always walk away or ask him to take a pay cut or restructure if it comes down to it. Again, I don't know the specifics, but I'd be surprised to see him stay here for 4 yrs and make 16 million dollars.

Another thing to consider is that Arrington works much better in the slot, and that has been the goal for them the past 2 seasons with the draft choice of Dowling. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out. When Arrington does play in the slot he can do it very effectively. Remember that he held Victor Cruz to a total of 24 yds in the most recent SB loss.

Arrington also has good experience and knowledge of our system, and has played in different areas, sides of the field, and roles throughout his tenure here. It's possible that Arrington is trusted with more responsibilities in the defensive backfield than we initially give him credit for. On top of that, he also obviously brings a lot on ST's, has proven that he works hard, and is a typical "Belichick guy" who worked hard from being an UDFA and rose throughout the system. He also can obviously step into the outside starter's role if/when an injury occurs, although we all know his limitations there.

We'll just have to trust Belichick with this one. I'm glad he's back. I just didn't expect his salary to be that high.

I'd of been fine with 3/7 personally I cannot believe he received that deal.

If BB preferred Amendola to Welker he would not have made an offer to Welker. They play the same position. Stories here about BB wanting both players make no sense from either a football standpoint or a financial one. My understanding from Reiss is that BB gauged the market and made his best offer ($10M) to Welker, as is his style. When Welker decided to test the market, BB could not risk losing both Welker and the only other guy out there who could play the position, so he signed Amendola. Then Welker found out BB was on the market value, and he came back to negotiate, but it was too late. So Welker took Denver's slightly greater offer. The sad thing is that neither the team nor the player got what they wanted. They both get an F in negotiating.

2013 NFL free agency -- If Wes Welker had read the landscape better, would he be a Denver Bronco? - ESPN Boston

That was a pretty low offer to Welker, I think it was more of a look good in the public eye type offer. Hey, we offered Welker a contract and he didn't accept it. They couldn't have been serious about that offer if they wanted to keep him.

Arrington is a fine Slot CB which is very important when you're in your Nickel 65% of the time. He also contributes heavily on Special Teams.

I'm confused by two things:

1 - where is Talib in your scenario? On IR?
2 - why would you compare a patriots draft pick to Wallace? Wallace is beyond his rookie contract, isn't with the team that drafted him anymore because of $, and was an UFA so the Patriots could have signed him themselves if they wanted to.

But I get your point - these other teams are so much better at evaluating and collecting talent than the Patriots. That probably explains why the Patriots are a perennial last place team, selecting in the top 10 every year.

Oh no. The Patriots are above average at drafting players but they have a special weakness at drafting WRs and CBs. Had they taken Wallace instead of Tate then I suspect that they would have had an extra ring or two. The good defenses laughed at Brandon Lloyd and clogged the middle; there was no deep threat to take the top off the defense.

Last year's whiff was taking Tavon "Cast Away" Wilson instead of Casey Howard. So when Talib went down there was no one to take his place and the evil Ravens ran over the Patriots...

OK you wise acres out there; who is going to be the deep threat this season? No Jennings and no Wallace and no hope in the draft....

Losing Floyd Reese will not help...

OK you wise acres out there; who is going to be the deep threat this season? No Jennings and no Wallace and no hope in the draft....

Losing Floyd Reese will not help...

Sanders would be better than anyone they had last year.

Jennings is not that good anymore. It'd been terrible to throw so much money at him.

Sanders doesn't have to be Randy Moss, he just has to stretch the defense. He definitely can, and does.

Mike Wallace is overrated. Better to pay Sanders much cheaper. Pats don't need a pro bowl caliber receiver. Just one that's not as slow as molasses.

Oh no. The Patriots are above average at drafting players but they have a special weakness at drafting WRs and CBs. Had they taken Wallace instead of Tate then I suspect that they would have had an extra ring or two. The good defenses laughed at Brandon Lloyd and clogged the middle; there was no deep threat to take the top off the defense.

Last year's whiff was taking Tavon "Cast Away" Wilson instead of Casey Howard. So when Talib went down there was no one to take his place and the evil Ravens ran over the Patriots...

Go root for the Jets clownshoes.

You football ignorance is actually entertaining

In fairness, I agree that a deep threat remains a void for the team. And it not only opens the passing game, but I think having a threat that forces a defense to move safety help out of the middle/LOS area also helps the running game.

Maybe the Pats can line up Demps on the outside a few times a game?

Easy to be a GM after the season has played out isnt it? Gee I wonder why?

Have you ever kissed a woman?

Wilson is a safety. Who has at least shown potential. Safety was an obvious need last offseason.

Casey Hayward is a CB. The Patriots had McCourty, Dowling, Arrington, and took Dennard in the draft.

Then Dowling when on IR... again... and Patrick Chung started sucking things up so McCourty had to move to safety.

There is no obvious reason that Hayward should have been drafted instead.

Greg A. Bedard‏@GregABedard
Patriots made (frugal) offer to Greg Jennings at some point. Couldn't nail down $, but @BobMcGinn did: $6 million per

hmmmmmmmmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick