PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Terrified of our WR situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think JE is the slot guy. I think he can do it. Did well in camp and showed that he can get in there and be serviceable. I hope they sign him

I think if you compared JE to any top receiver from a athletic and physical perspective he would actually match up most like Greg Jennings.

Jennings
5'11 197lbs
4.42 40
36.5 vertical
6.69 3 cone
09'09 broad jump

Edelman
5'11 195lbs
4.45 40
36.5 vertical
6.62 3 cone
10'03 broad jump

The signing of a 34 yr old safety that can't cover is supposed to make us tougher, and getting rid of our top two WRs for a few bums makes us tougher to defend. Don't you get it? Every team is harder to play against when its talent level is less than the year before. How is this difficult to understand?

How difficult is it for you to realize that the soup isn't done until it's done?

Come back when it's cut down to the 53 man roster day. Maybe your critiques might have some heft to them then - likely not.

I think if you compared JE to any top receiver from a athletic and physical perspective he would actually match up most like Greg Jennings.

Jennings
5'11 197lbs
4.42 40
36.5 vertical
6.69 3 cone
09'09 broad jump

Edelman
5'11 195lbs
4.45 40
36.5 vertical
6.62 3 cone
10'03 broad jump

Too bad one is named jennings and the other edelman

Jennings
5'11 197lbs
4.42 40
36.5 vertical
6.69 3 cone
09'09 broad jump

Edelman
5'11 195lbs
4.45 40
36.5 vertical
6.62 3 cone
10'03 broad jump

That's a nice breakdown of the comparison, Jax.

Mike Reiss was very impressed with Edelman's improvement on his speed from 2011 to 2012 last year. If he can continue some progression as an actual outside the numbers WR and possibly get some more 1/1 work in with Brady like last offseason, he may show some kind of additional production.

Of course that's assuming that we re-sign him, which doesn't really have any hints one way or another up to this point.

Who on this roster is going to replace Lloyd's production?

A very important aspect to keep in mind is that our starting TE duo only played together in about 5 games last season due to injuries. Llyod would not have had the 74 catches that he had if Hernandez and Gronkowski were playing together regularly, the totals would have been closer to 55-60 at the most. This is also something that I imagine Belichick took into account when assessing Llyod's 5 million dollar cap hit.

So the big worry now becomes trying to replace 55-60 catches (assuming the TE's will be healthier than last season, which is very reasonable).

So we're really only talking about replacing 3.4 to 3.7 catches a game. If you bring the total up to replacing 4 catches a game, you'd get 64--which actually has the capacity to overtake Llyod's production in yardage and TD's with ten less catches.

I would think that there are any number of players who would have the potential to replace 3.5 to 4 catches a game, from Sanders to Jones to an additional vet signing to possibly even Edelman (although I wouldn't hold my breath with JE for that kind of production just yet). Add in a rookie with 25-30 receptions (think B.Tate in 2010) and about 500 yds/3-4 TD's, and you have the exact same production--maybe even an upgrade due to being able to stretch the field a bit more and move the safeties at times.

Getting Edelman back would be helpful -- he is viewed as versatile, has speed, knows the system. Taking a chance on a burner like Heyward-Bey would be helpful, what do you have to lose?

Then I would go into a trade down, add draft picks mode and end up drafting 2 WRs (tall, speedsters, sure handed) and a tall, press-corner (along w/ assorted IL and DL).

Bill HAS to have something up his sleave...Im still pulling for Emanuel Sanders..

think about it...right now if Amendola misses time you are starting Slater, and Jones the Bills #3 receiver...

that is NOT a championship calibar WR corp

ok, maybe Lloyd doesnt get 74catches if Gronk/Hernandez are healthy...but you cant go into the season accounting that everyone is going to play 16games

I just hope WR doesnt get treated like Safety was in 2011...where bill cut established vets and left us with JAG's at the position. its Too early to panic because we dont know what other moves are coming...but at this point it is concerning

Amendola is our only established NFL wideout...and he has had injury problems

Bill HAS to have something up his sleave...Im still pulling for Emanuel Sanders..

I think we will get our wish there...they still have plenty of time and hopefully edelman is back

Too bad one is named jennings and the other edelman

I know, right? Not everyone can be as talented as Julian Edelman, but *shrugs* life's not fair, I guess.

think about it...right now if Amendola misses time you are starting Slater, and Jones the Bills #3 receiver...

that is NOT a championship calibar WR corp

ok, maybe Lloyd doesnt get 74catches if Gronk/Hernandez are healthy...but you cant go into the season accounting that everyone is going to play 16games

I just hope WR doesnt get treated like Safety was in 2011...where bill cut established vets and left us with JAG's at the position. its Too early to panic because we dont know what other moves are coming...but at this point it is concerning

Amendola is our only established NFL wideout...and he has had injury problems

Just about every year there are many moves made to add to the competition, especially in the past couple years where the roster limit jumped to 90 guys in training camp.

Last season we saw Belichick pick the best 4-5 guys (minus Slater) from a grouping of a total of around 10+ at least.

At the very least we'll be bringing in an additional 4-5 WR's for competition which should include at least one rookie draft pick. It's really almost pointless to look at the group now 5-6 days into the 2013 league year because Belichick hasn't really addressed it at all besides Amendola and Jones. We still have 5-6+ other guys who will be brought in (some names, some not) in addition to the expected draft choice(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes