PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Terrified of our WR situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyto3690

Banned
Reaction score
Individually, I like all of E.Sanders, Amendola, and D.Jones. Lloyd it's up in the air whether he will return this season.

How many times in the past have we had WR's come in here, do absolutely nothing and then leave and be told it's "because they couldn't pick up the playbook" or "because they couldn't click with Brady".

Well, we're looking at a season where ALL of Bradys receivers might be new guys who are learning the playbook and never caught passes from him before. Far too much pressure is being put on Brady to make it happen. I don't think those guys are scrubs, but they aren't physically dominating talents.

Im' not sure how we can expect to run last years offense with so many new guys- new guys Brady isn't going o trust for a while to run the hurry up offense.

Individually, I like all of E.Sanders, Amendola, and D.Jones. Lloyd it's up in the air whether he will return this season.

How many times in the past have we had WR's come in here, do absolutely nothing and then leave and be told it's "because they couldn't pick up the playbook" or "because they couldn't click with Brady".

Well, we're looking at a season where ALL of Bradys receivers might be new guys who are learning the playbook and never caught passes from him before. Far too much pressure is being put on Brady to make it happen. I don't think those guys are scrubs, but they aren't physically dominating talents.

I'm not sure how we can expect to run last years offense with so many new guys- new guys Brady isn't going o trust for a while to run the hurry up offense.

It's called training camp. When Branch screwed us we still had guys starting from scratch with lots of catches. Not ideal, obviously.

The problem isn't putting up big numbers early, it's having a versatile offense that can adjust against tougher defensive play. We aren't evn done with FA, or started the draft.

We'll have a camp full of receivers to compete and maybe get some play out of someone who isn't even on the radar.

It's March. Don't be terrified, you'll get an ulcer.

Well although they're not WR's, we'll also have Gronk, Hernandez, Ballard, Vereen & Ridley catching passes. And hopefully Edelman, who if he can stay healthy, could play a significant part this season.

Im' not sure how we can expect to run last years offense with so many new guys- new guys Brady isn't going o trust for a while to run the hurry up offense.
I don't normally advocate the use of illicit substances but you need to fire up a bong and worry less. There's plenty of time for the roster to be shaped.

We aren't trying to run last years offense. Welker is gone, Lloyd might not be here, we're signing or have signed a few 4.4 guys. We're going to attempt to be more vertical this season while still having the underneath stuff covered with Amendola and the Tight Ends.

The team is becoming more aggressive on both sides of the ball. Wilson is an enforcer type, him and spikes together can set the tone on early downs. Abraham and/or Freeney to assist a pathetic pass rush from last year will help on 3rd downs. Speed guys on offense, who appear capable of running most of the routes in any playbook, at least at a glance they do, they are largely unproven, i'll give you that.

The team is looking, to me anyways, to move away, even if just a little, from the bend-but-don't-break defense and dink-and-dunk offense to units capable of bigger plays, while sacrificing some consistency.

I'm not saying this won't fail miserably, but I'm liking the theme i'm seeing so far quite a bit.

This Brady chemistry thing is overblown. It seems like he has bad chemistry with bad receivers and good chemistry with good receivers. These guys all look like pretty competent, talented, smart players. I wouldn't worry until there is a reason to.

What they are geuninely trying to do now is offer depth at the position.

Bringing these players on now does that for the first time since 2008.

Lets be honest. if Welker had went down at anytime after that we were screwed.

I don't view Amendola as a strictly slot type receiver either.

"Terrified"???? It is a game, put it in perspective.

I like our WR situation. It seems like we are moving away from an offence that maybe have become too complicated. It also looks like we are trying to spread the offense out to the numbers too. Hopefully we will not be as dependent on one receiver like with Welker and we will spread it out more, making it harder for the defense to stop the offense.

If all else fails... Gronk will be back and will be ready to dominate. I'm not worried bout the offense.

Terrified ?? really if we add Sanders to our current group we are alot FASTER than the last two years. Donald Jones/Sanders are legit Speed threats on outside. I think the Pats did their homework on Jones he could be a pleasant surprise.

And The Focus Shifts to Wide Receiver

Now that we have brought back Talib and Arrington, and expect to have Dennard, the focus shifts to wide receiver. Of course, we will still sign more defensive backs for camp; we always do.

QUESTIONS

A) What happens with Lloyd?

B) What happens with Sanders?

C) Are there any other trades to happen?

D) Will we draft a defensive back? If so, will he be a corner or a safety. I think a corner is likely, given the one-year deal to Talib.

Of course, we will sign more wide receivers later in free agency, as we always do.

Re: And The Focus Shifts to Wide Receiver

Would still be good to add secondary depth through the draft. Not sure about Dennard's sentence yet. Dowling is a big ? mark. What do we target in round 1 anyways? We got our passrusher in Abraham and we got Wilson and Talib in the fold now. Hmmm. No word on Seabass so we might be looking at OT?

Hopefully they're waiting out on the Sanders signing cause they want to attempt a trade (for another WR)

I would go WR with the first round pick, try getting Terrance Williams or someone with a similar build. I wouldn't be against a DT or OL depending on what happens with Vollmer.

Perfect draft for me would be

Round 1 WR
Round 2 DT/OL
Round 3 Honey Badger :D

Assuming we get a 3rd round pick through trading mallett or trading down.

Would still be good to add secondary depth through the draft. Not sure about Dennard's sentence yet. Dowling is a big ? mark. What do we target in round 1 anyways? We got our passrusher in Abraham and we got Wilson and Talib in the fold now. Hmmm. No word on Seabass so we might be looking at OT?

We don't have Abraham, at least not yet.

I don't want Sanders. He isn't a field stretcher at all. Just another slot receiver. A lot of Pittsburgh fans want this to happen.

I don't want Sanders. He isn't a field stretcher at all. Just another slot receiver. A lot of Pittsburgh fans want this to happen.

He was put in the slot because of who was ahead of him. He can play outside.

I still want to see a top rookie WR in the draft.

If it were me, I'd trade our first and second round picks to the Bengals for both their seconds (5 and 21) and see if the Bengals would throw in a 4th or 5th.

That way you could take a second round talent like Hopkins or Wheaton at WR--or Hunter if he lasts that long. Then focus on BPA at 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes