PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tek since the allstar break.

cupofjoe1962

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Since the allstar break Tek is batting 156 avg with 1 home run and 13 RBI's.
He batted 135 avg in August & 121 avg in September.

He should be on the bench for the playoffs.
His fielding is even lousy as of late.

Last edited:
Since the allstar break Tek is batting 156 avg with 1 home run and 13 RBI's.
He batted 135 avg in August & 121 avg in September.

He should be on the bench for the playoffs.
His fielding is even lousy as of late.

I'm probably in the minority, but I haven't liked Varitek offensively since he grounded into that DP in the 5th inning of the ALCS in 2003 with 2 men on and 1 out, and a chance to put that game out of reach. The guy has always been anti-clutch, and will always be anti-clutch. There's been a few aberrations (homer versus TB in playoffs last year), but generally, anytime Tek has gotten up to bat in a high-leverage situation, I cringe.

And aside from a few hot streaks and a little power, he's been a bad offensive player since 2006.

The "game-calling" aspect has looked like such a myth of late, as Buchholz has flourished without him & Lester does fine without him. And he is no longer great at catching the ball now and has cost us games this year with his inability to make plays behind the plate.

Last edited:
Yeah, its either time to move on without him or soon will be. IIRC he's got a player option for next year, I hope the team can and does buy it out for reasonable money.

I ain't gonna shoot him on the way out the door though. I'm sure if he could be batting 300 again he would. He contributed a lot over the years and deserves our thanks.

It's ******* embarrassing watching him play in the Majors now. I've loved Tek, but his time is over.

you can blame Theo for not finding a replacement for him after 2004. the sox could have groomed 1 or 2 catchers for the past five years but no, Theo waits until Tek is on his last legs and then trades for Victor Martinez. now we are stuck with Tek until the end of the season.

i honestly think it's time to, instead of hoping the red sox to win, realize it's not our season and just root for someone to beat the yankees. i'm so tired of these games where the big bats just don't show.

Last edited:
Nice showing by the Captain tonight.. Let's see.. fouled out (with men on 2nd and 3rd and no outs), grounded into a double play, and struck out twice.. Oh, and the Yanks were 7-for7 in stolen bases.. Can a catcher have a worse game than that? Can any of the 'pink hats' possibly defend this? Just dreadful.. what an embarrassment he's become..:mad:

what i don't get is these players who don't have it anymore won't admit it. bruschi knew he was going to be a liability for this team, so he retired. varitek knows he's not the same player but he's staying in the game for the $$$$.

jason bay is another guy i'm not liking right now. it seems to me he's upset because the sox won't give him a big contract and he's showing it on the field.

did i forget to mention that manny should never have been traded? good going theo.

Nice showing by the Captain tonight.. Let's see.. fouled out (with men on 2nd and 3rd and no outs), grounded into a double play, and struck out twice.. Oh, and the Yanks were 7-for7 in stolen bases.. Can a catcher have a worse game than that? Can any of the 'pink hats' possibly defend this? Just dreadful.. what an embarrassment he's become..:mad:

What was also bad about that foul out is that he did it on the first pitch. That was a situation (2 in scoring position, no outs) where, if you make him work a little, Chamberlain may have started to come undone. Instead, 1 pitch, 1 out.

Like BradyManny posted earlier, Varitek is anti-clutch. When he comes up in situations like the one above, I accept the fact that he won't hit a fly ball to get a run in. If he comes up and a double play is a possibility, I hope he strikes out or pops out to avoid the double play. Hoping that he gets a hit is further down on the list.

I'll be happy if he makes me regret posting this, but it will also be a surprise.

The only thing that will prevent Tek from picking up his player option next year, is his over inflated opinion of himself. Clearly, Tek thinks/thought he is/was still a top line player, as he rejected arbitration last year, expecting a huge deal on the open market. The way he's playing now, which is what most of us in here always saw coming, he might not get a major league deal anywhere. If he's been humbled, and has come to his senses, he'll take the $3 million option, and ride the pine in 2010, or be released and take the money.

jason bay is another guy i'm not liking right now. it seems to me he's upset because the sox won't give him a big contract and he's showing it on the field.

did i forget to mention that manny should never have been traded? good going theo.

You have no idea what the **** you are talking about do you? Bay has put up huge numbers the last two months so I don't know how you can't like that unless you are just a disgruntled Manny fan.

I posted this in another thread, but..

Old friend Manny Ramirez hitting a Varitek-esque .216 since September 1st.. Anyone think he's gonna light it up in the playoffs? Looks like the fertility drugs have worn off.. :p

Theo did the right thing.. Manny is a cancer..

I posted this in another thread, but..

Old friend Manny Ramirez hitting a Varitek-esque .216 since September 1st.. Anyone think he's gonna light it up in the playoffs? Looks like the fertility drugs have worn off.. :p

Theo did the right thing.. Manny is a cancer..

Manny is the anti-dirt dog. A T.O. clone. The only team I'd want him on is a fantasy team, and I've never done fantasy........in sports anyways.

A caller on 98.5 had a good line about Varitek: 'The 'C' on his chest stands for 'Can't run, Can't hit, and Can't throw'.. :p

what i don't get is these players who don't have it anymore won't admit it. bruschi knew he was going to be a liability for this team, so he retired. varitek knows he's not the same player but he's staying in the game for the $$$$.

You criticize Jason Bay on the grounds that "it seems to me he's upset because the sox won't give him a big contract and he's showing it on the field" but then at the same time you say they shouldn't have traded Manny away?

Huh whuh? :confused: :confused:

Last edited:

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes