PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tebow's plummeting stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hilarious. I like the "what is there to lose? Just 'coach him up'...I mean he has the right 'character' so he can 'learn' how to throw a ball correctly and read a defense." REALLY?

Is that a real argument? Just take anyone with good athletic ability who played QB in college and 'character' and you can teach them the QB position? Cause that's what you're saying. So all those QB busts are guys who just didn't feel like making 10-15M per year and just didn't care? How about Alex Smith, DAvid Carr, Joey Harrington...those guys just didn't care?

Tebow is a bust, just like most people knew he would be. TRADE a 3rd for a guy who will probably be cut in a year who has demonstrated that he CAN'T PLAY THE POSITION? Sure, brilliant. Yeah, "coach him up", sure thing. He'll probably get injured this year and be out of the league in a couple years...then people will pine for "what could have been".

The Broncos are a mess - mostly but not all because of McDaniels.

They planned all offseason to trade Orton and get some value for the journeyman QB who is in the last year of his deal. They would then let Tebow play, see what he could do, then make an informed decision after the year about if he could be their future QB. It made sense for a team in rebuilding mode with little hope of even being a 500 team.

Then the front office didn't deal Orton before camp, trying to squeeze the Dolphins for a better deal. They created a major problem for themselves. When practices started it was crystal clear to everyone Tebow had no business being a starting QB. You had veteran players openly saying they needed to keep Orton. Brandon Lloyd, the teams best offensive player (that speaks volumes about the lack of talent on the team) essentially mocked Tebow as a creation of hype. If the Broncos moved Orton now or made him Tebow's back-up they are going to a player revolt . Fox can't afford that since he probably doesn't ever get another chance to be a head coach if he is one and done in Denver.

This is probably a good example of why you hire talented front office people, not legendary ex-players to run your franchise.

All true--and some of us get upset that BB doesn't draft a monster pass rusher, or trades a guy like Seymour, or releases a fan favorite like T. Warren. All one needs to do is look at what has become of the Broncos organization to see how well-run the Patriots really are.

In fairness to McDaniels, that franchise was falling apart when he got there. But drafting Tebow was a blow that will haunt them for years--the ultimate attempt at a "quick fix" mainly to appease the fan base.

Last edited:
Mallett ... has questionable leadership skills...

I agree with everything else you said, but not this one. He was elected a captain of his college team after transferring in while still in the midst of a battle for the starting QB job. He was re-elected a captain the next (his final) year.

Last edited:
Hilarious. I like the "what is there to lose? Just 'coach him up'...I mean he has the right 'character' so he can 'learn' how to throw a ball correctly and read a defense." REALLY?

Is that a real argument? Just take anyone with good athletic ability who played QB in college and 'character' and you can teach them the QB position? Cause that's what you're saying. So all those QB busts are guys who just didn't feel like making 10-15M per year and just didn't care? How about Alex Smith, DAvid Carr, Joey Harrington...those guys just didn't care?

Tebow is a bust, just like most people knew he would be. TRADE a 3rd for a guy who will probably be cut in a year who has demonstrated that he CAN'T PLAY THE POSITION? Sure, brilliant. Yeah, "coach him up", sure thing. He'll probably get injured this year and be out of the league in a couple years...then people will pine for "what could have been".

I never advocated spending a 3rd on him, a 6-7th sure, but not a 3rd. There are many reasons why the above QBs didnt succeed, Tebow's main issue now, as far as I can tell, are his mechanics, which CAN be changed. Tiger Woods has put in thousands of hours working on his swing, Brady has done likewise with his throwing motion, Tony Romo worked on and shortened his throwing motion. It's very possible to do, one reason why it's usually "difficult" is because people are always trying to go fast when training in the new mechanics, which results in them practicing the wrong things and ultimately ******ing progress.

Regarding reading an NFL defense, how many QBs were great at that their first season, or did they usually need some experience before they go the knack of it. It's amazing that you're willing to declare him an obvious bust when he's only played a few games in his rookie year, it's a good thing Brady didnt start in his rookie year, if he did poorly you'd be demanding he be cut.

McDaniels has a terrible track record as a personnel guy. He let Hillis go among MANY other talented players, wasted a draft pick trading for Maroney, not to mention those terrible draft picks from 2005-2008 that were offensive players he worked out.
it is sooo funny how he gave up Hillihis the guy is a stud. Was he an UDFA like BJGE?

pass on Tebow... when would we carry 3 QB's after this year?

Tebow is a Leader great Locker room guy but why would we want him?

Mallett has chance to be more of a franchise QB than any QB in the AFCE and throw in the AFC as ell. it's too bad the contract ends before Brady's. If he is LEGIT do we lockhim up I hope?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mallett has chance to be more of a franchise QB than any QB in the AFCE and throw in the AFC as ell. it's too bad the contract ends before Brady's. If he is LEGIT do we lockhim up I hope?

Right now they both end after 2014.

Right now they both end after 2014.
that is excellent. LONG TIME before this occurs, but if Mallett is the real deal we have our successor and QB of the future. Brady will be what 38 @ this time? I like to look to the future. This could quite possibly could be a Joe Montana to Steve Young like thing. This is all in Mallets hands in how well he is willing to work and evelop:rocker:

good news for the future if Ryan is the next coming or 1 hell of a Quarterback.
You are positive of them being FA's in same year?

Last edited by a moderator:
that column is somewhat Horse s hit- Tebow is pretty raw BUT still i watched the games he played and he didnt play that badly for a Rookie- Made some things happen had 5 TD 3 INT-- Rushed some for over 5 average_ Looked better in a few of those games than Orton looked in some of his games
should he be starting?-No he isnt ready yet- But he certainly didnt look out of place last season for a raw rookie

Last edited:
Tim Tebow sucks. I'm shocked people want this guy.

All true--and some of us get upset that BB doesn't draft a monster pass rusher, or trades a guy like Seymour, or releases a fan favorite like T. Warren. All one needs to do is look at what has become of the Broncos organization to see how well-run the Patriots really are.

In fairness to McDaniels, that franchise was falling apart when he got there. But drafting Tebow was a blow that will haunt them for years--the ultimate attempt at a "quick fix" mainly to appease the fan base.

There is no such thing as a long tern quick fix project. He was drafted by McDaniels to be "his guy".

Tebow might be better going to Philly and take the Mike Vick experience. Even if he becomes just a backup, hig game should translate with Vick's.

The reality is Denver was/is a slow motion basketcase. Look at all the collapses they had (2008/7/6...) the Jake Plummer Maurice Clarette, Jarvis Moss, always changing D coordinators, Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler complete meatheads....The problems were much deeper.

The 2010 Redskins only show where the problems were rooted.

Last edited:
If Mallett is the understudy, why on G-d's green Earth would they waste a 6th round pick on someone that has zero chance? C'mon.

That said, I saw what merrill Hodge said about Tebow yesterday and I happened to see Tebow's response. 'gotta love Tebow. Really. I will never understand the hate people have for this guy. Nice kid. Loves his family, loves G-d. Says the right things, is polite and gracious. He's the kind of kid all of you with daughters would want to see your daughters marry. It blows my mind that people hate him because???? he's a good kid? That's messed up.

He's all back story. His place in the pros is as a short and goal change of pace back - at best.

He looked OK on the surface last year, but when the pressure came, all the learned throwing motion, and the progressions went down the drain - and he looked like what he is. Totally over his head as a starting QB in the NFL. This man will get at most 35 starts in the NFL in his career.

Didn't you guys figure out when BB came out in public to meet him pre draft it was to deke someone into drafting him? Wasn't it two days in a row? BB would never "blow" a guy he was interested in. I don't think BB would have drafted the guy with a 7th if he was sitting there.

He's trash and I couldn't care less about his beliefs or his story. If he can't play, he's dead to me.

He's all back story. His place in the pros is as a short and goal change of pace back - at best.

He looked OK on the surface last year, but when the pressure came, all the learned throwing motion, and the progressions went down the drain - and he looked like what he is. Totally over his head as a starting QB in the NFL. This man will get at most 35 starts in the NFL in his career.

Didn't you guys figure out when BB came out in public to meet him pre draft it was to deke someone into drafting him? Wasn't it two days in a row? BB would never "blow" a guy he was interested in. I don't think BB would have drafted the guy with a 7th if he was sitting there.

He's trash and I couldn't care less about his beliefs or his story. If he can't play, he's dead to me.

Plausible.....but, man, you are such a nice guy! The anti-Tebow, if you will. Lord....

I agree with everything else you said, but not this one. He was elected a captain of his college team after transferring in while still in the midst of a battle for the starting QB job. He was re-elected a captain the next (his final) year.

bingo

I love how they came out and stated he would not be TFB's successor and more of a trade chip. I really am routing for this kid to develop into a GEM and another HUGE draft steal for the PATS. I don't see why he could not suceed brady if he develops into a Franchise QB.

Lots of years to dwell on this and analyze his play and progress. I am ecstatic we grabbed the best QB in the draft w/ a 3rd rounder. They all play up this trade chip thing, but ppl BB plans well in advanced and he had a good feel on this guy and took the best player available on the board. Mallett be a STUD solidify our future extend our dominance into the next decades :)

If Mallett is the understudy, why on G-d's green Earth would they waste a 6th round pick on someone that has zero chance? C'mon.

That said, I saw what merrill Hodge said about Tebow yesterday and I happened to see Tebow's response. 'gotta love Tebow. Really. I will never understand the hate people have for this guy. Nice kid. Loves his family, loves G-d. Says the right things, is polite and gracious. He's the kind of kid all of you with daughters would want to see your daughters marry. It blows my mind that people hate him because???? he's a good kid? That's messed up.

I dislike him because hasn't earned his bones in pro football - and yet never saw a microphone he didn't like. STFU kid.

I also found him annoying when he presumed to give his "testimony". I don't need it, and don't want it. My experience with people that are too good to be true is that they are indeed not true. They are as full of vices that beset others, they just think they are special due to the 3rd grade faith they spout.

I love how they came out and stated he would not be TFB's successor and more of a trade chip.

When did BB ever say this? I heard him say "The QB position is the most important on the field and having depth at that position is a good thing, hopefully we now have depth and we're going to have Ryan compete with the other QBs on our roster". I'd be SHOCKED if BB said he only wanted to wheel and deal Mallett.

I dislike him because hasn't earned his bones in pro football - and yet never saw a microphone he didn't like. (Please be quiet - edited) kid.

I also found him annoying when he presumed to give his "testimony". I don't need it, and don't want it. My experience with people that are too good to be true is that they are indeed not true. They are as full of vices that beset others, they just think they are special due to the 3rd grade faith they spout.

That's one way to look at.

So what, he likes a camera. "They" put it in front of him, "he" speaks. He promotes the Tebow "brand" I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. I've never seen Tebow trying to convert anyone. He thanks G-d, as do a lot of athletes. Hey, good for him if he's into that sort of thing. I will not begrudge someone their religion or beliefs...unless they are bombing abortion clinics or protesting a gay soldiers burial service, you know?

I think people hate him because they see their own flaws. It's jealousy, really. And, lets be real, it's so much better to knock a person down than face your own shortcomings.

Now, do I think he's a good QB? No. I do, however, hope to be proven wrong. I think it would be a good thing to have a good kid succeed.

Last edited:
I think people hate him because they see their own flaws. It's jealousy, really. And, lets be real, it's so much better to knock a person down than face your own shortcomings..

Ah, now I see why you like Tebow. You're just like his kind, another "better than thou ..."

We don't like him because he's not a good football player, and has been hyped as a superstar. I don't like him for the same reason I don't like Reggie Bush.

Next offseason: ship out Brian Hoyer for Tebow and a second/third? :D

No thanks. Tebow is like the second coming of Michael Bishop. I do NOT want to hear the bring in Tebow chants!

I've never seen Tebow trying to convert anyone. He thanks G-d, as do a lot of athletes.

I guess you missed his "show" last year.

I think people hate him because they see their own flaws. It's jealousy, really. And, lets be real, it's so much better to knock a person down than face your own shortcomings.

That might be true for some.

Now, do I think he's a good QB? No. I do, however, hope to be proven wrong. I think it would be a good thing to have a good kid succeed.

I'm a realist, and I think his success is neutral on moral grounds. Only so many can succeed - I prefer talent and effort to be the deciding factor, not something like hope or faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back