Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you be in favor of adding Tebow to the Pats

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure why the Pats would be in the market for a quarterback whose biggest weakness is and always has been his relative inability to throw from the pocket. We're talking about a guy here that was shut down TWICE by the second worst pass defense of all time.

Wait a sec here ....are you saying we should trade Mallett...for Tebow? No way...picking him up for a 4th or 5th and using him occasionally as a option QB...sometimes as a RB...sometimes TE....I could see him being VERY successful in this role. I expect he'll go elsewhere to fill the seats and try again to be a FT QB...

In respect to trade value, I'm certainly not in favour of giving up too much for him. I certainly wouldn't trade a 3rd straight up. I might stretch to a 4th but even that's unlikely.

However I would consider, for example, swapping our 4th for their 5th, or our 3rd for their 4th and a late round pick next year.

Knowing BB however, what's more likely to happen is that we re-sign Hoyer long-term when he realises there's no market for him and trade Mallett to the Broncos who have no backup presently for their 3rd rounder and Tebow or something similar.

Alternatively, the Broncos have pick 57. If BB is likely to move out of pick 31 as is most likely considering his track record, trade pick 31 for Broncos 57, a 2013 2nd and Tim Tebow. With three second rounders, we can always move back up if needed.

Forget about Tebow being a QB here. Josh McD tried to put him in to a pass heavy vertical scheme and he failed to the point where they then had to change their offense entirely for this one guy.

I like Tebow and he's a top bloke but I can't see him coming here as a Quarterback and I think it would be a stupid move. What I would do is bring the guy in and see how he runs witht he football, blocks, catches out of the backfield.

Why? He's cheap and imagine the fun you could have with this guy in small packages and throwing or handing it to him with the odd direct snap....Belichick does love this guy but unless he can invent some gadget plays for him (which I'm not the biggest fan of anyway) I'm not sold on having him here.

As a HB/FB/TE he's pretty cheap if he can give us some mismatches. Not sure he's worth a draft pick though to be honest. Not a decent one anyway.

Last edited:
Tebow for Mallet

I think both teams win, and neither team loses much:

Mallet won't see the field in any meaningful way for the next few years with the Pats, and if Hoyer is resigned, Mallet won't be needed as Hoyer could serve as backup. If Hoyer walks, then its still good to have Mallet around.
Pats would use Tebow in occassional situations -- and maybe Brady & Josh can teach Tebow how to be a pocket passer -- which could turn out to be great in the long run

Broncos get a good backup with starter capability after Manning retires in 3 years.
Broncos get rid of Tebow -- keeping him just isn't an option for them

Tebow for Mallet

I think both teams win, and neither team loses much:

Mallet won't see the field in any meaningful way for the next few years with the Pats, and if Hoyer is resigned, Mallet won't be needed as Hoyer could serve as backup. If Hoyer walks, then its still good to have Mallet around.
Pats would use Tebow in occassional situations -- and maybe Brady & Josh can teach Tebow how to be a pocket passer -- which could turn out to be great in the long run

Broncos get a good backup with starter capability after Manning retires in 3 years.
Broncos get rid of Tebow -- keeping him just isn't an option for them
I fail to see how that's an equitable swap for the Patriots given that depends on the status of Brian Hoyer. What happens if Mallett beats out Hoyer in 2012 (assuming Hoyer stays) and then is rides Tom Brady right to the line similar to the Drew Bledsoe scenario?

I'm intrigued by Mallett. Rated as a first round prospect and most Pro-ready QB. Years of development behind Brady given the attributes he has sure does raise some potential questions. Then again, they could be completely unfounded.

Last edited:
I fail to see how that's an equitable swap for the Patriots given that depends on the status of Brian Hoyer.

Hoyer could be taken care of tommorrow -- no team is trading a second for him. So he's pretty much left with signing the tender or agreeing on a longer deal for less than the tender

So he's pretty much left with signing the tender or agreeing on a longer deal for less than the tender

Or he could sit this year as Brady's backup with the tender and leave at the end of the year as a FA.

Mallett for Tebow is one of the most ridiculous ideas I've seen on here, Mallett can actually play QB and will probably be Brady's replacement.

Last edited:
What happens if Mallett beats out Hoyer in 2012 (assuming Hoyer stays) and then is rides Tom Brady right to the line similar to the Drew Bledsoe scenario?

I'm intrigued by Mallett. Rated as a first round prospect and most Pro-ready QB. Years of development behind Brady given the attributes he has sure does raise some potential questions. Then again, they could be completely unfounded.

I think Mallet is likely to overtake Hoyer if they both stay. But I don't see Mallet overtaking Brady for the next 3 years -- its possible but not probable. So I'd rather take Tebow being a contributor today + Tebow's potential over Mallet's potential.

Mallett for Tebow is one of the most ridiculous ideas I've seen on here, Mallett can actually play QB and will probably be Brady's replacement.

If Mallet was a sure thing as some people here believe, he wouldn't have dropped to the 3rd round even with the rumors.

Mallet has potential, but we won't see whether he realizes it for another 3 years. If you could flip Mallet today for a 1st,2nd round pick I'd do it -- or flip him for a player equivalent for a 1st,2nd -- whether its Tebow or a non qb contributor.
And by the time Mallet has the opportunity to be a starter on this team, he'll be hitting restricted free agent status and he'll no longer be a bargain in the way Brady was his first few years.

The question about Tebow is basically is this what he is, or does he have room to improve. If you think Mallet has room to improve, then Tebow should as well -- and if Tebow isn't in a situation where he needs to win every game, he can focus on learning to be a better passer -- turning him into a better version of Vick.

I think Mallet is likely to overtake Hoyer if they both stay. But I don't see Mallet overtaking Brady for the next 3 years -- its possible but not probable. So I'd rather take Tebow being a contributor today + Tebow's potential over Mallet's potential.
south%20park%20mr%20mackey%20drugs%20are%20bad.JPG

The talk of Tebow coming here is fun, but I don't see it happening.

I think Josh and BB might be interested in carrying him, trading Mallett and using Tim as a Wildcat kind of alternative in the backfield to take some heat off of Brady situationally, but it's very unlikely that it would ever come to pass (no pun intended).

Here's my logic:

1) Elway got his "Get out of Tebowmania Jail Free" card yesterday and he'll be cashing it in as the ink dries on Peyton's contract.

2) I doubt Elway cares where he sends Tebow, so he'll take the best deal for the Broncos, which won't necessarily be the best deal for Tim. (Welcome to the NFL!)

3) Tebow is probably worth more to the Jaguars than any of the other rumored "contenders." Moribund franchise, 25--39 since its last Playoff appearance five years ago and with 10,000 seats permanently covered at EverBank Field. Pumped-up new owner in Shahid Khan. Tebow is wildly popular in the area after playing his college ball in the neighborhood. He would bring instant life to the Jaguars. Chad Henne's contract isn't that big ($2.5 MM this year and $4MM or so next) and he will just have to deal with it. This would be Khan's "statement" move as new owner.

4) I don't see the Pats getting into a bidding war with Khan. I could see BB offering a 5th rounder, but Khan will probably be ready to go at least as high as a third round pick to get him. If Elway can play the Dolphins and Jaguars off against each other, Khan might even be willing to give up a second rounder.

Last edited:
Talking about Tebow coming here is not fun, it is annoying and makes me think that people are sipping the moronic tebow aid. Seriously, how can talk radio be full of tebow talk, the Patriots have just gone a a FA spending extravaganza, specifically in the WR realm and all they are talking about is Tim Tebow. What a friggin waste!!!

Tebow isn't coming here, he wouldn't have any role in the Patriots offense, he is a bad QB and he won't learn how to get better. Tebow will be a forgotten memory in 3 years.

damn ...Tebow is a like a pimple that wont go away ..until someone pops him...

I know that people that...mention trading Mallet for Tebow are total morons. Lets see..trading a quarterback with a rocket arm and alot of potential for a quarterback with a crappy arm and can do some running and is one hit from being retired....oh I feel so great after 4 years (after TB retires) having tebow run our team and run while we wasting the talent of all our receivers running around ......wow I see BB saying ...we are going to be a running team and trade our good receivers for blockers.....so tebow can run and run .....

people get off drugs .....will you ..damn ....

Talking about Tebow coming here is not fun, it is annoying and makes me think that people are sipping the moronic tebow aid. Seriously, how can talk radio be full of tebow talk, the Patriots have just gone a a FA spending extravaganza, specifically in the WR realm and all they are talking about is Tim Tebow. What a friggin waste!!!

Tebow isn't coming here, he wouldn't have any role in the Patriots offense, he is a bad QB and he won't learn how to get better. Tebow will be a forgotten memory in 3 years.

The reality is that Belichick was interested enough in him two years ago to work him out and take him to dinner quite visibly in the North End, which he doesn't do with every Draft prospect; in fact, I think I could count on one hand the number of Draft prospects for whom Belichick did something like that, but right now I'm having trouble coming up with number two. In addition, Josh, back as OC, traded up 18 slots in the 2010 draft to take Tebow two slots ahead of Belichick, when no one else in those intervening 18 slots had expressed any interest in him.

So, yeah, it's plenty fun to talk about it. If you don't like it, don't reply.

And, I wouldn't call picking up a bunch of guys on a flyer to see how they work out in Training Camp (Lloyd excepted) "a FA spending extravaganza."

As for Tebow in three years? My crystal ball is out of order this morning.

And, BTW, the premise of my comment was, to use your words, that "Tebow isn't coming here."

damn ...Tebow is a like a pimple that wont go away ..until someone pops him...

I know that people that...mention trading Mallet for Tebow are total morons. Lets see..trading a quarterback with a rocket arm and alot of potential for a quarterback with a crappy arm and can do some running and is one hit from being retired....oh I feel so great after 4 years (after TB retires) having tebow run our team and run while we wasting the talent of all our receivers running around ......wow I see BB saying ...we are going to be a running team and trade our good receivers for blockers.....so tebow can run and run .....

people get off drugs .....will you ..damn ....

Mallett (two "t's" BTW) is an unproven talent with a big arm and behavior problems who has apparently done well on the practice squad and in workouts. Tebow has won games in the NFL and taken a team to the Playoffs, albeit in a weak division and with an 8--8 record, but, last time I checked, we just lost a Super Bowl to a 9--7 team.

So, discussing the trade-offs between the two is a reasonable debate. You're free to disagree, but please don't call people who want to discuss those trade-offs "morons." We really don't need name-calling out here; make your argument without it.

No one is suggesting that Tebow is the "future" and certainly not a successor to Brady. But, last time I checked, Ryan Mallett hadn't been anointed anything by anyone.

I agree... The thought of Tebow playing a non-QB role is about as unlikely as Aaron Hernandez playing Running Back.... Or a LB playing Tight End... Or a WR playing DB.

Belichick and McDaniels just don't do things like that.

Difference between Hernandez, Vrabel, Troy Brown and Tebow is the first three all had important roles with the team to start with and then in addition, also had the ability to contribute at a secondary position.

Tebow, on the other hand, cannot play QB, cannot play in NE's offense, both Belichick and Caserio have said that they evaluated Tebow as a quarterback only and nothing else. He is unproven at any other position and would require compensation to acquire.

It doesn't make sense on any level.

The reality is that Belichick was interested enough in him two years ago to work him out and take him to dinner quite visibly in the North End, which he doesn't do with every Draft prospect; in fact, I think I could count on one hand the number of Draft prospects for whom Belichick did something like that, but right now I'm having trouble coming up with number two. In addition, Josh, back as OC, traded up 18 slots in the 2010 draft to take Tebow two slots ahead of Belichick, when no one else in those intervening 18 slots had expressed any interest in him.

So, yeah, it's plenty fun to talk about it. If you don't like it, don't reply.

And, I wouldn't call picking up a bunch of guys on a flyer to see how they work out in Training Camp (Lloyd excepted) "a FA spending extravaganza."

As for Tebow in three years? My crystal ball is out of order this morning.

And, BTW, the premise of my comment was, to use your words, that "Tebow isn't coming here."

That's misrepresenting it to make it look like McDaniels had to jump ahead of BB to grab Tebow, fact is BB had the 22nd pick, traded back to 24, the pick used to choose Tebow and then traded that back to 27. BB had plenty of opportunities to take Tebow if he wanted and he did not.

The are allowed 30 visits from out of region potential draftees and you say you could count on one hand how many draftees BB has treated the same way. My question is, how would you know that? It only becomes a story when Tebow is involved.

I don't see him here as a 'gadget' player. This offense and our QB are too good to use trick plays more than rarely. I can only see him here for 2 reasons:

-eventual Brady replacement (unlikely, don't see it although JMD did spend a 1st on him)
-and Edelman type conversion player who can contribute as a TE or FB. It's an option I guess but why would you spend anymore than a 6th or 7th rounder for a project.

There's only room for one alpha QB on a team.

I point you to the Celtics of '08.

After the team obtained Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett, there was some speculation of a scenario like that happening, but as Allen put it, right after the 2 came to Boston, they both decided this was Paul Pierce's team, and neither one of them had a problem with that.

What makes you think Tim Tebow wouldn't handle the situation in the same manner?

I point you to the Celtics of '08.

After the team obtained Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett, there was some speculation of a scenario like that happening, but as Allen put it, right after the 2 came to Boston, they both decided this was Paul Pierce's team, and neither one of them had a problem with that.

What makes you think Tim Tebow wouldn't handle the situation in the same manner?

Are you seriously trying to equate basketball to football? I think that you can find the obvious flaws in your argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft