PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tebow, Blount, Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Thomas and Decker are "sub-par" receivers? Since when?
2) Wins are a team stat, not a QB stat. This isn't baseball.
3) there isn't one criticism of Tebow's abilities on the football field that isn't true. Plus by all reports he has trouble remembering plays. On THIS team that is a problem.
4) why are you talking about tebow completing 46% of his passes like its a good thing?
5) the read option is a fad and it will go the way of the wildcat soon. And this team doesn't have the personnel for a read option and doesn't need it with Brady running the show.
6) tebow wasn't good enough to beat mark sanchez for his job. What does that tell you?
7) elway and fox resented Tim? And you know this....how exactly? Do you work for the Broncos organization?

1) they are solid receivers (though were in the top % of the league in drops the year Tebow started)
2) so are losses. If you can't say Tebow won those games, then you can't say he lost at the end or he backed in to the playoffs... It was the team.
3) the level that his ability to throw is criticized is excessive and hyperbolic most of the time
4) agree... He DRASTICALLY needs to improve in the area. But when looking at all of his passing stats, they're average or above average in most cases... Especially the stats that correlate to winning (FYI, completion % is not one of those stats)
5) can't argue this, I think it's here to stay... Time will tell I guess
6) I take any decisions the Jetsmade with about the largest grain of salt you can think of.
7)
elway+mad4.gif

How can you call Tebow a developmental player? He has been in the league for 3 years, he pretty much is what he is...slow decision maker, slow awkward release and inaccurate. Those are the facts.

How can you call Tebow a developmental player? He has been in the league for 3 years, he pretty much is what he is...slow decision maker, slow awkward release and inaccurate. Those are the facts.

He's only had a coach whose willing to develop him for half of his first season. Since then its been coaches who have been more burdened by his presence than anything else... You think the Jests put ANY work to try and develop him?

1) they are solid receivers (though were in the top % of the league in drops the year Tebow started)
2) so are losses. If you can't say Tebow won those games, then you can't say he lost at the end or he backed in to the playoffs... It was the team.

That is true, but I think a QB who completes 40% of his passes probably did less to help his team "win" than a QB who completes 65%. Or how about a QB who goes say 30-35, 400+ yards, 5 TDs 0 INT but has a defense that can't stop anyone and loses a high scoring game. Is that the QB's fault?

It drives me nuts to hear the logic that QBs win games. With that logic Trent Dilfer should get credit for "winning" his Super Bowl. Or Ben Roethlisberger and his 22 passer rating should get the same credit for his first Super Bowl. It just doesn't make sense. There's a good reason why you don't see a QB's W-L "record" on TV when they project his stats like you do for a baseball pitcher.

3) the level that his ability to throw is criticized is excessive and hyperbolic most of the time

Your opinion. I'll take the word of the people who watch and work in the NFL for a living

4) agree... He DRASTICALLY needs to improve in the area. But when looking at all of his passing stats, they're average or above average in most cases... Especially the stats that correlate to winning (FYI, completion % is not one of those stats)

See #2.

5) can't argue this, I think it's here to stay... Time will tell I guess
6) I take any decisions the Jetsmade with about the largest grain of salt you can think of.

The Jets are a professional football team. We like to make fun of them but they're not stupid. Sanchez played like he was begging to be benched and clearly the Jets didn't like the alternative.

7)
elway+mad4.gif

Uh sure. I can show you a picture where he looked pretty darn happy after the OT TD to Thomas in the playoffs game.

Manning is the far superior QB so why wouldn't Elway want to improve the Broncos by getting him? That is his job.

Because he is 25 years old and I like to think of best case and best case for Tebow is to considered developmental.

I honestly don't know how I put myself in this conversation. I don't think he is really that relevant either way. Best case we're talking about our 3rd string QB. Nate Ebner is a more pivotal piece of the team at this point.

And for those who are promoting Tebow based on religion I do not get it. Doesn't god love all his children equally? That's what I like to believe. So why does Tebows openness with his faith create this sense of entitlement amongst his fans? Logically someone with a 47.8% career completion percentage isn't someone I want to run out there ever.

I can't say anything about the slow part, but there were pics from OTAs showing him holding the ball close to his head, and not winding up like a baseball pitcher.

Tebow was seen as a 2-3 year project when e was drafted. He's been in for 3 years of course, but the "process" was interrupted by his taking over as the starter in Denver, followed by a wasted year with the Jets.

Here's something else to consider. Ryan Mallet was seen as more "NFL ready" than Tebow, has been been in a stable environment learning his craft for 2 years already and isn't considered to be starting material at this time. I.e., he's still developing/seasoning.

He's only had a coach whose willing to develop him for half of his first season. Since then its been coaches who have been more burdened by his presence than anything else... You think the Jests put ANY work to try and develop him?

Right, coaches were just leaving him to his own devices, because, you know they are only paying Tebow to play football and be a QB.

Sounds like Tebow sure has a lot of excuses.

Umm, yeah, Decker and DT were subpar back in 2011, mainly due to lack of experience. IIRC, they had something like 30 total catches between them at the start of the season. They both had problems with drops, which is something that continued into 2012 with Manning. Didn't help that DT had an achilles injury at the beginning of the 2011 season and wasn't in game shape until the 11th game of the season.

6) tebow wasn't good enough to beat mark sanchez for his job. What does that tell you?

Kind of sad seeing something like this from a Pats fan. I mean, this level of silliness can be expected from a Jets fan, but I thought people were different here.

This, of course, is the team where Brady outplayed Bledsoe in TC/Preseason, yet Bledsoe kept his job as the starter.

Were you under some illusion that Sanchez was actually in a "competition" last year and was actually in danger of Rex giving his job to someone else ? Please tell me that you aren't that naive.

Tebow wasn't seeing the field as a starting QB for the Jets no matter what. This was evidenced by Rex starting freaking McElroy over Tebow. There's not a person on the planet who could present a credible argument showing that McElroy gave the Jets a better chance to win.

Tebow was seen as a 2-3 year project when e was drafted. He's been in for 3 years of course, but the "process" was interrupted by his taking over as the starter in Denver, followed by a wasted year with the Jets.

Here's something else to consider. Ryan Mallet was seen as more "NFL ready" than Tebow, has been been in a stable environment learning his craft for 2 years already and isn't considered to be starting material at this time. I.e., he's still developing/seasoning.

Bad example as Mallett simply isn't that good. We've seen that on the field. Cannon arm, questionable decision making and accuracy. I had hopes for him coming out of the draft, but from the action that I've seen him in, preseason and regular, I sincerely hope he's not the quarterback of the future for the Pats. Tebow either, for that matter. I would much rather them try to get McCarron.

Bad example as Mallett simply isn't that good. We've seen that on the field. Cannon arm, questionable decision making and accuracy. I had hopes for him coming out of the draft, but from the action that I've seen him in, preseason and regular, I sincerely hope he's not the quarterback of the future for the Pats. Tebow either, for that matter. I would much rather them try to get McCarron.

Reports out of OTA's have been that Mallett has been impressive. They've also indicated improved mechanics. I'd say the jury is still out on Mallett and this preseason will likely determine his NFL future more than any year past.

Reports out of OTA's have been that Mallett has been impressive. They've also indicated improved mechanics. I'd say the jury is still out on Mallett and this preseason will likely determine his NFL future more than any year past.

His mechanics may have improved, but I doubt his decision making has. It's very hard to impossible for a quarterback to improve that over the course of his career. IMO, he has too much gunslinger in him.

Umm, yeah, Decker and DT were subpar back in 2011, mainly due to lack of experience. IIRC, they had something like 30 total catches between them at the start of the season. They both had problems with drops, which is something that continued into 2012 with Manning. Didn't help that DT had an achilles injury at the beginning of the 2011 season and wasn't in game shape until the 11th game of the season.

Injuries don't make them "subpar". They are good receivers. Subpar is Doug Gabriel and Reche Caldwell. Those guys aren't them. Funny how subpar receivers didn't seem to bother good QBs like #12 or #18.

And trust me, even Jerry Rice in his prime wouldn't have mattered that much if his QB can't throw the football very well

Kind of sad seeing something like this from a Pats fan. I mean, this level of silliness can be expected from a Jets fan, but I thought people were different here.

This, of course, is the team where Brady outplayed Bledsoe in TC/Preseason, yet Bledsoe kept his job as the starter.

How is that relevant?

Were you under some illusion that Sanchez was actually in a "competition" last year and was actually in danger of Rex giving his job to someone else ? Please tell me that you aren't that naive.
Not naive at all. Sanchez was begging to be benched. Not literally obviously but by his play on the field. The fact Rex decided Sanchez was better than Tebow... which he is...and putting Tebow out there even in a ground and pound offense wasn't a good idea... that speaks loud and clear.

Tebow wasn't seeing the field as a starting QB for the Jets no matter what. This was evidenced by Rex starting freaking McElroy over Tebow. There's not a person on the planet who could present a credible argument showing that McElroy gave the Jets a better chance to win.

So in other words, TT wasn't even good enough to see the field over McElroy. I rest my case.

Sorry should of read your entire post. I'm in 100% agreement regarding Tebow or Mallett being the QB of the future. Both would be 30+ years old by the time Brady retires. If it had to be one I'd want Mallett because his skill set is less likely to deteriorate with age being that his a pocket passer. But I'd much rather get our successor in 2015's draft and allow 2 season behind Brady.

Agree about Mallett. The Pats would like to start seeing some return on their draft pick investment right about now.

His mechanics may have improved, but I doubt his decision making has. It's very hard to impossible for a quarterback to improve that over the course of his career.

My only hope is he's improved enough for us to be able to trade him in the offseason for a draft pick in the 3rd round or better. I think he needs to have a good showing because as silly as it sounds I think the Hernandez situation may cause other teams to shy away from players we've taken in mid rounds with high talent level and questionable character. Mallett falls into that category so it could hurt his value on the trade market.

2) Wins are a team stat, not a QB stat. This isn't baseball.
3) there isn't one criticism of Tebow's abilities on the football field that isn't true. Plus by all reports he has trouble remembering plays. On THIS team that is a problem.
4) why are you talking about tebow completing 46% of his passes like its a good thing?
5) the read option is a fad and it will go the way of the wildcat soon. And this team doesn't have the personnel for a read option and doesn't need it with Brady running the show.
7) elway and fox resented Tim? And you know this....how exactly? Do you work for the Broncos organization?

Multiple wrong, misleading, or incomplete, comments here....

How so...?

To take one example, the JEST didn't bring Tebow in to unseat Sanchez. They brought him in to sell PSLs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes