PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tebow, Blount, Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.
He took over when they were already 1-4.

"Backed into the playoffs" is a something that happens all the time but was not made into a catch phrase until Tebow came along.

He won one playoff game against a old and injured Steelers team that didn't even make the playoffs the following year. After that he got smoked by us and shut down by the worst passing defense in NFL history.

Tebow is a great person, great competitor, hard worker and I'd even say he's a great football player. He is not a great QB and certainly not a starter at the NFL level.

No one is saying Tim can't move past Mallett on the depth chart as the season progresses but it all hinges on how fast he absorbs the offensive playbook. Normally, a good year in the system is required before such a jump.Brady picked it up pretty quickly but still was about 30% capable in it as he is today. Mallett has a number of seasons under his belt, has a great arm and great physical tools. I expect Tebow to be a versatile player his first season here, not bucking for #2.

If Tebow (or any other rookie at the positions of QB or WR) are simply able to pick up and fully understand the playbook it'd certainly go a long way towards a hint at their success here, just as you say.

Arguably the 2 hardest positions to learn in this system are QB and WR due to the kind of complicated system that relies on pre-snap reads, the ability to change/cut off the route based on where a defender moves to, extreme timing and split second decisions off of the LOS, the ability to run the entire route tree, and other important nuances.

I would definitely expect a guy like Tebow to be way behind in this aspect, but Belichick may feel that his versatility (for as you say--several plays per game on ST etc) instantly improved the QB3 spot, along with the potential to slowly bring him along with tutelage under Brady. I like mgteich's thoughts about Tebow spending this year to show leadership, possibly contribute on ST, and learn the playbook before possibly competing for the #2 QB spot next season.

He won one playoff game against a old and injured Steelers team that didn't even make the playoffs the following year. After that he got smoked by us and shut down by the worst passing defense in NFL history.

Tebow is a great person, great competitor, hard worker and I'd even say he's a great football player. He is not a great QB and certainly not a starter at the NFL level.

Tom Brady was the superior QB and the Patriots were the superior team, no doubt about it. The Steelers lack of 2012 success has nothing to do with their 2011 team that made the playoffs. The Broncos were not really a great team either, so they were pretty evenly matched with the Steelers in 2011. It came down to one play, one throw, and one amazing run after the catch.

I come in peace man... not to talk all Tebow all day. All I said was Tebow was more experienced than Mallet, which is a fact. Let's not go down this road because it's going to get silly.

Tom Brady was the superior QB and the Patriots were the superior team, no doubt about it. The Steelers lack of 2012 success has nothing to do with their 2011 team that made the playoffs. The Broncos were not really a great team either, so they were pretty evenly matched with the Steelers in 2011. It came down to one play, one throw, and one amazing run after the catch.

I come in peace man... not to talk all Tebow all day. All I said was Tebow was more experienced than Mallet, which is a fact. Let's not go down this road because it's going to get silly.

I come in peace as well my friend. I absolutely agree he has more experience than Mallett in terms of in game play.

I agree lets move on, great post and I'm glad you said it.

I think the Tebow success vs the Steelers in the playoffs was due in part, to the extremely poor scheme that was run by **** LeBeau, along with the exceptional ability of Demarius Thomas to snatch the ball at its highest point.

When someone beats a CB that badly (Ike Taylor who is overrated by many, but still at a "solid" level) it speaks volumes to their ability to use their size and height advantage, along with their excellent ball skills.

I couldn't imagine a guy like Demarius Thomas on our offense. I think things would be a lot different.

**** LeBeau's tendency to line up his safety (Polamalu) against the line to better help with run blitzing was also very questionable, and it made it a pretty easy choice to try and take advantage of the one on one matchups against smaller CB's.

That all said, Tebow did show some excellent leadership ability along with a lot of heart at times that year, and he did provide a nice touch on the ball at times particularly in that Steeler game. I don't know what kind of sample that truly shows us though, as he's struggled with the pass in just about every other aspect and in many times even that same game.

Guess we can't post videos here, just links?

This is what I like about LeGarrette Blount:

LeGarrette Blount hurdle - YouTube

I don't like how he punched that guy from Boise State after the game, but if there was one act of violence on the field that I am kind of glad happened, it was that one. The guy he hit definitely provoked him and deserved it. Then again, Blount should have been more mature and held back.

LeGarrette Blount Punch www.urbanREUP.com - YouTube

I've suggested this before... And of course, people wrote me off as a crazy white Christian who has know idea what he is talking about... The facts are however, that I know the game of Football front to back... These are some facts... The New England Patriots had more plays ran last season than any other team in the lg. by far... So why can't Tom take a series or 2 off a game?... He is 36... So he would end the game with the normal amount of snaps as other QB's across the lg.... Start Tom and use Tim as kind of a left handed Zone Read Reliever out of the bullpen.. Then the opposing Defense has to game plan for two separate QB's and two separate Offenses... It keeps them off balance IMO... The more playmakers the better IMO.... Another thing that I've gone on record supporting is the 2-point conversion package for TeBow... It's innovative, and I believe we will see it a lot from Chip Kelly in Philly this upcoming season... If the percentile of the 2 point conversion package is over 80-90%, it's a good idea to go for 2 more times than not, unless arithmetic, # of possessions or time says otherwise... God Bless

I've suggested this before... And of course, people wrote me off as a crazy white Christian who has know idea what he is talking about... The facts are however, that I know the game of Football front to back... These are some facts... The New England Patriots had more plays ran last season than any other team in the lg. by far... So why can't Tom take a series or 2 off a game?... He is 36... So he would end the game with the normal amount of snaps as other QB's across the lg.... Start Tom and use Tim as kind of a left handed Zone Read Reliever out of the bullpen.. Then the opposing Defense has to game plan for two separate QB's and two separate Offenses... It keeps them off balance IMO... The more playmakers the better IMO.... Another thing that I've gone on record supporting is the 2-point conversion package for TeBow... It's innovative, and I believe we will see it a lot from Chip Kelly in Philly this upcoming season... If the percentile of the 2 point conversion package is over 80-90%, it's a good idea to go for 2 more times than not, unless arithmetic, # of possessions or time says otherwise... God Bless

Like I told you on the espn board, Brady is not coming off the field for any reason except injury and while someday a team might try a 2 point conversion offense, it won't be this team and Tebow isn't good enough for that anyway.

Stop babbling nonsense.

The Steeler defense was exposed in that playoff game as old, slow and badly needing an overhaul so I'd say their lack of 2012 success did have something to do with it. Forget their yardage ranking last year, they didn't beat any good offensive teams. And couldn't get sacks or turnovers. A typical trait of any team that is - wait for it...old, slow and badly needing an overhaul.

While I'm all for the idea of a relief QB I don't like the idea of a different offense, if the defense has to prepare for a totally different offense doesn't our offense have to do likewise? Doesn't that mean time away from perfecting our bread and butter offense?

If Tebow can be a passing QB I'm all for having him on the team, I wish him luck in winning the back-up QB job, but he needs to get it done.

The Steeler defense was exposed in that playoff game as old, slow and badly needing an overhaul so I'd say their lack of 2012 success did have something to do with it. Forget their yardage ranking last year, they didn't beat any good offensive teams. And couldn't get sacks or turnovers. A typical trait of any team that is - wait for it...old, slow and badly needing an overhaul.

Revisionist history at it's best, and the definition of a reach.

At the time of that playoff game against the Broncos, the Steelers were the #1 ranked passing defense in the entire NFL. I was going to write out a detailed response, but this is so laughable I'm not even going to bother.

Revisionist history at it's best, and the definition of a reach.

At the time of that playoff game against the Broncos, the Steelers were the #1 ranked passing defense in the entire NFL. I was going to write out a detailed response, but this is so laughable I'm not even going to bother.

Nope, not a reach at all. The 2011 Steelers finished in the bottom half of the league in sacks and 25th in INTs. (Edit: And last in the NFL in forced fumbles) So obviously they couldn't make big plays, a trait of an old and slow defense as I said. They beat one top 10 passing team all year. In fact that was the only top 10 passing team they played. And to top it off, they played EIGHT games against bottom 10 passing teams.

That got them the "#1 ranked passing defense"? Not impressed.

I concur with you 100% !:rocker:

Nope, not a reach at all. The 2011 Steelers finished in the bottom half of the league in sacks and 25th in INTs. So obviously they couldn't make big plays, a trait of an old and slow defense as I said. They beat one top 10 passing team all year. In fact that was the only top 10 passing team they played. And to top it off, they played EIGHT games against bottom 10 passing teams.

That got them the "#1 ranked passing defense"? Not impressed.

Ravens won the Superbowl last year. I guess it doesn't matter if SB1 wasn't impressed.

I love when people like to dispute FACT based upon their own "feelings".

But yeah, based on the facts... how could anyone not realize that they were a terrible defense on the decline?

NFL Stats: Team

Screen_Shot_2013_07_05_at_4_41_58_AM.png

you concur with "And of course, people wrote me off as a crazy white Christian who has know idea what he is talking about"?

if that's that case then YOU don't know proper English....unless "know idea" is some supersecret Tebow fan code for the apocalypse or some other weirdo nonsense.

BTW...what do you call a deer with no eyes?

Ravens won the Superbowl last year. I guess it doesn't matter if SB1 wasn't impressed.

I love when people like to dispute FACT with based upon their own "feelings".

What do the Ravens have to do with anything? Nice red herring.

I already gave you the facts about that so called "#1 ranked passing defense", that they were nothing but paper tigers. You are entitled to ignore them but that doesn't make them any less factual.

And 31.6 yards per completion allowed says a lot more about how bad the defense was than it does about how "good" the QB was. Sorry if you don't like to hear the truth, but that's what it is.

And 31.6 yards per completion allowed says a lot more about how bad the defense was than it does about how "good" the QB was. Sorry if you don't like to hear the truth, but that's what it is.

I guarantee there is no logical way you can explain this statement.

But yeah, based on the facts... how could anyone not realize that they were a terrible defense on the decline?

stop your nonsensical ravings...YOU are why people across the internet dread Tebow joining their team. SB 1 's point is a good one and exacerbated by the mindnumbingly horrific crunching Tebow took in his very next playoff game...against one of the laughingstock defenses in the league that year. How can you NOT see how hopeless you are preaching a Tebow victory versus Pittsburgh to Patriot fans who witnessed HIS complete reduction to inconsequential the very next week? What is it? Are you trying to get us to UNSEE what we've seen?

Yardage, in and of itself, proves little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back